School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by fhimpsl »

Quite some time back a member requested a piece entitled "Stairways", a novelty published by Schirmer. I just happened to come across the score, which is actually more in a modern classical style (and quite difficult as well). Here it is...enjoy!

Simmons, Homer - Stairways - A Fox Trot.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Frank,

You're indefatigable!
Thank you so much.

Here are a Lou Ricca & a Bert Stevens piece

tobyjj
Stevens, Bert - Woodland Symphony.pdf
Ricca, Lou - Heavenly Hideaway.pdf
Regards,
tobyjj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

Here are two more Lou Ricca pieces -

If anyone has any by him not yet posted it would be nice to see them...
Ricca, Lou - Lullaby of The Rain.pdf
Ricca, Louis - Carnival In Cotton Town.pdf
Incidentally - looking at the download stats it is quite clear that "many tens of people" are downloading the posted material.
A lot of this stuff is quite rare and hard to come by. Personally, I recognise my lack of pianistic skills, such that (even if I knew how to), I wouldn't dare or presume to put up a You Tube or mp3 file /link of an attempted performance by me of some of the posted material. Some of you, however, (Philip - for example), are more than capable of spirited and talented renditions of this material.

I think it would be really interesting and instructive, (to me at least), if any of you think you've nailed, (or nearly nailed) a piece (or even a few bars!) that's been posted; if you could perhaps record it and upload the "performance" or give us all a download link with the file reference. If any of you have a regular YouTube channel (like Philip), it would be helpful if you could let us know when you've uploaded a new file from this forum to your channel.

It may be (and I apologise if that's the case), that there is already a forum here in Pianophilia for the above suggestion. I can't see an obvious forum for it , however - and it seems to be a good idea. I know that when Luigi posts an audio file or audio link I always find it helpful when trying to read the music.

Just an idea.

Regards,
tobyjj
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

fhimpsl wrote:Hi tobyjj,

I had nothing at all by Al Sherman, but one piece by Sammy Prager duly posted! :D
Prager, Sammy - Poinsettia.pdf
Thanks for posting Poinsettia, Frank - I remember and like this piece, though it was "Purple Pastel" that was at the forefront of my mind when I made the enquiry.

Re Al Sherman, - well I think I have a little more than nothing by him - but not much more! :(
Let me dig through my personal store of misfiled music and see what I can come up with.

Best Regards,
tobyjj
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

Still looking ...

An appeal to everyone, (if Frank doesn't have it!) -
Does anyone have:-

Any Donald Midgley - in particular his "Yellowstone suite" - I thought it had been posted on PP before but apparently not.
- Richard Leibert - Sailing Suite
- Margo Burke - Manhattan Potpourri
and / or
Milton Shrednik - Puppet Paggliacci

Here's some Eric Spear
Spear, Eric - Meet Mr. Callaghan.pdf
Regards,
tobyjj
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

fhimpsl wrote:Quite some time back a member requested a piece entitled "Stairways", a novelty published by Schirmer. I just happened to come across the score, which is actually more in a modern classical style (and quite difficult as well). Here it is...enjoy!

Simmons, Homer - Stairways - A Fox Trot.pdf
Great. Thank you! Just detected your posting (sorry, but I admittedly neglect this thread a bit).
I was the person who requested this piece, because it was reviewed very favourably in the directory of modern music by Kurt Hermann ("Die Klaviermusik der letzten Jahre", published in 1934).
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

One of the requests I made has borne fruit.

Here is Donald Midgley's Yellowstone Suite, which I am posting with full thanks and due credit to "liveforpiano", on his behalf.
Midgley D - Yellowstone Suite.pdf
Thanks
tobyjj
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

This is a general enquiry but the pointy end of it is aimed more specifically perhaps at Thalbergmad, PP's resident banjo guru.

I came across an obscure reference to a piece called "The Banjo" or "Banjo Dance" attributed to Felix Arndt. I have never come across this before nor heard of it as a composition by Arndt.

Does anyone know of any Felix Arndt pieces with "Banjo" in the title - or is it perhaps a reference to some other work, (e.g. Gottschalk) perhaps on piano roll, with Arndt as the pianist ?

Curious.

Regards,
tobyjj
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi tobyjj,

I know Felix Arndt's piece "The Banjo Dance" from a piano roll recording he made of it. Although it's been years since I've played the roll, I remember the main theme as being an early version of "Nola;" specifically taken from the trio section of that famous piece. Unfortunately I do not yet have this roll scanned into midi format, but I do plan to do that and will hopefully remember to post the resulting file! I've never seen sheet music for this piece, only the piano roll.

All Best,

Frank :D
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the info - why am I not surprised that you could answer this ?
For future reference it shall be understood that all my enquiries have at least one pointy end with your name on it !

On another note:- Frank are you familiar with a series of German publications called "Tonfilm, Theater, Tanz" from the late 1930's.
I have recently come by a selection of these - the music in them is mostly 'song' (for piano).
Would you be interested in any of these?

I attach a cover page of one at random as a sample
TTTp1.pdf
Regards,
tobyjj