Frédéric Chopin

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Frédéric Chopin

Post by alfor »

soh choon wee wrote:...Risler's edition is certainly a rare find.... but i am not satisfied with just one work.... Oh, is there more to come??
I did not find any more Chopin edited by Risler...
...and generally I am a bit uncertain how to satisfy Chinese women... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by soh choon wee »

alfor wrote:
soh choon wee wrote:...Risler's edition is certainly a rare find.... but i am not satisfied with just one work.... Oh, is there more to come??
I did not find any more Chopin edited by Risler...
...and generally I am a bit uncertain how to satisfy Chinese women... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I guess, if I tell you I am a Chinese man...... then you will say, you generally do not satisfy Chinese man..... (well, in that case, if I were to be Yundi Li, a typical Chinese man, will you say the same too??)
(I would entertain whatever Yundi Li requested, but if the request from Lang Lang, I will really think very hard if I even want to talk to him, Lang Lang is simply too extrovert that many Chinese would not consider typical.... somehow Chinese are more inclined to be quieter)

Disclaimer.... no reference to Yundi li or Lang lang musicianship, but rather just style.
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

soh choon wee wrote:...I guess, if I tell you I am a Chinese man...... then you will say, you generally do not satisfy Chinese man..... (well, in that case, if I were to be Yundi Li, a typical Chinese man, will you say the same too??)
(I would entertain whatever Yundi Li requested, but if the request from Lang Lang, I will really think very hard if I even want to talk to him, Lang Lang is simply too extrovert that many Chinese would not consider typical.... somehow Chinese are more inclined to be quieter)

Disclaimer.... no reference to Yundi li or Lang lang musicianship, but rather just style.
Dear soh choon wee*,

I have to apologize for my „western rudeness“ (which you may consider typical for a „Chang Bizi” ;) ).
I assure you that I appreciate you as a person, whether you are a woman or a man, whether you are from China, from Europe, Australia, Africa or whatever.

Please continue enjoying my contributions.

warmest regards

alfor

*sorry, but Chinese names are still a bit complicated for me...

fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fleubis »

Alfred, I've been going through Risler's edition of the Op.47, and albeit a rare edition, cannot see any significant editorial contributions, but I guess it's a worthwhile famous pianists edition.
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

fleubis wrote:Alfred, I've been going through Risler's edition of the Op.47, and albeit a rare edition, cannot see any significant editorial contributions, but I guess it's a worthwhile famous pianists edition.
I agree! But back then as today: a famous name always sells!
(I do not know the circulation figures, though.)

soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

could it be, because we are too spoilt with the Paderewski and Eisler-polish editions? and also Cortot??

Nowadays, I think quite few will refer to Peters-Martensen's editions even for Beethovens et al.
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fleubis »

soh choon wee wrote:could it be, because we are too spoilt with the Paderewski and Eisler-polish editions? and also Cortot??
Nowadays, I think quite few will refer to Peters-Martensen's editions even for Beethovens et al.
Well, this is the advantage of collecting all these different editions of the standard repertoire pieces, and I would say all of the above are more than a tad bit better than Risler's. All the more reason to be grateful to the generous posters of Pianophilia for giving us the opportunity to compare versions. No such opportunity existed in my youth.
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

When I was a student in 1970s, many who come from a former British colony (who naturally will be doing the ABRSM exams) are so used to the AB editions of Bach's 48, Beethoven's and Mozart's. Then, students when to class with a plethora of editions....
Now, almost every students use the Henle, Universal/Wiener...... life become so uniform.

Those edited editions are not BAD editions, unfortunately, many students seems to think so... I wonder if modern days teachers over-emphasize the urtext editions???

Is it a good thing??? I wonder.
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

In 1970s, many students who come from a former British colony (who naturally will be doing the ABRSM exams) are so used to the AB editions of Bach's 48, Beethoven's and Mozart's. Then, students went to class with a plethora of editions.... not just AB, but also Peter's Augener, B&H, Brietkopf Hartel.

Now, almost every students use the Henle, Universal/Wiener...... life become so uniform.

Those edited editions are not BAD editions, unfortunately, many students seems to think so... I wonder if modern days teachers over-emphasize the urtext editions???

alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

soh choon wee wrote:In 1970s, many students who come from a former British colony (who naturally will be doing the ABRSM exams) are so used to the AB editions of Bach's 48, Beethoven's and Mozart's. Then, students went to class with a plethora of editions.... not just AB, but also Peter's Augener, B&H, Brietkopf Hartel.

We in fact have hardly any true „Urtext“ editions. „Pure Urtext” would mean no additional fingering, pedal marks or other editorial additions. But in many cases (Chopin) it is virtually impossible to define a definitive text without any variants.

An example for „edited Urtext“ is the „Alfred masterworks“ edition. These are mostly excellent (e.g. the editions by Nancy Bricard!!!) and valuable not only for amateurs but also for professionals. And then there are the „historic“ non-Urtext editions by celebrities from Liszt, Bülow, Schnabel, Sauer and many others to say Ferguson.

I completely agree with you that the latter editions should be preserved as a valuable source for performance.

I more than once have given my personal opinion that I would recommend studying a work first from an „unedited“ Urtext edition. When you are able to play the work fairly well and have probably sketched in some fingering etc. of your own, then it is time to consult as many other editions as are available and simply choose from these whatever convinces you.