Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi tobyjj,

The 1930s German theatre/film magazines would be fascinating to see. While it's not piano solo music, still there is a lot of musical history here, thinking about the Berlin cabaret scene during the 1930s. I'd think these magazines are very scarce and worth preserving (especially since the paper stock used on many European publications during this period is very poor and usually found in severely oxidized condition). Marc Hamelin and his wife Jody Appelbaum have recorded two CD's of Berlin cabaret music, and these records are just great (I listen to them all the time because it brings back memories of the songs my mother used to sing). A really good find imho!!

All Best,

Frank
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

Here is the first posting - the earliest one in the group - I do not have a complete set.
Tonfilm-Theater-Tanz_-_Vol.5_-_1937_-_sheet_music_magazine.pdf
regards,
tobyjj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi tobyjj,

Thanks so much for posting this theatre/film magazine. It's a fascinating window back in time to pre-WWII Germany! I see Walter Kollo is represented in the collection...he was one of the most popular of the German songsters as I recall. I really like the second tune "Dummes kleines Ding" (trans. "Dumb little Thing") in d minor. And the great Irving Berlin tune "I'm Putting All My Eggs In One Basket" is here. All very interesting material, and fun to play/improvise with. Thanks again!

All Best,

Frank :D
GJF323

Post by GJF323 »

tobyjj wrote:Hello All,

Here is the first posting - the earliest one in the group - I do not have a complete set.
Tonfilm-Theater-Tanz_-_Vol.5_-_1937_-_sheet_music_magazine.pdf
regards,
tobyjj
These are great fun; I have about 3 or so lying around somewhere. I have a couple other folios of similar material, prompted by the 2 CDs that fhimpsl has indicated.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

Frank, Yes I think these are very interesting - You mention Walter Kollo - (I have some single sheets of his - and of course Robert Stolz - also quite interestingly some piano sheets of Bert Kaempfert (the trumpet player!)

I'm happy to keep posting all I have of these.
After these I have another (incomplete) set of "Zum Funf Uhr Tee"- (my keyboard doesn't do umlauts), which may find even more favour since they are mostly foxtrots of varying syncopation and vogue operetta pastiches.

GJF323 - I'm glad you like these (as I do) and would be interested to know whether between us (and other members) we can fill the gaps in the series. It would be most welcome I'm sure (and by me for certain) if you could post your folios of "similar material".

Since Vol.5 1937 is my first chronological posting, I obviously do not have volumes 1-4, so those are gaps that could be usefully filled... anybody?

The additional ones I have and will post, (please be patient) are:

1937 Vol. 7
1937 Vol. 9
1937 Vol. 11
1938 Vol. 2
1938 Vol. 5
1938 Vol. 6
1938 Vol. 7
1938 Vol. 9

(I wish I had more)

Here is 1937 Vol. 7
tonfilm_-_theater_-_tanz_-_heft7_-_1937_-_songbook.pdf
Regards,
tobyjj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi tobyjj,

Great material! I really like Vol. 7; there are neat songs in this one, along which I noted a tango and a couple of fox trots. The photos and articles are terrific to see as well (they give my German knowledge a real work-out!).

Very much appreciated! Please only scan when you have the time and inclination...it's all very hard and time consuming work, as I know only all too well! But you are preserving an important part of musical history, imho.

All Best,

Frank
GJF323

Post by GJF323 »

tobyjj wrote:GJF323 - I'm glad you like these (as I do) and would be interested to know whether between us (and other members) we can fill the gaps in the series. It would be most welcome I'm sure (and by me for certain) if you could post your folios of "similar material".
I will try to find the ones I have (most things I have should be prefaced "If I still have them after the move" since my move in 2009 lost some of my scores).

The other volumes are Funf uhr Tee and Tee und Tanz series (these aren't boxed together, but I have seen a few while looking for other scores)
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

GJF323 - hoping you have success in your searches. Of the Funf Uhr Tee & Tanz series, I also have the following:

Vols. 2, 3, 4, 8 & 10, which I am happy to post up in due course.

For now, continuing the sequence:
tonfilm_-_thater_-_tanz_-_heft11_-_1937_-_songbook.pdf
Regards,
tobyjj
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

I missed 1937 - No.9

Here it is -
tonfilm_-_theater_-_tanz_-_heft9_-_1937_-_songbook.pdf
regards,
tobyjj
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

I wonder if anyone might have the sheets to Yes we have no bananas??

I am working on a solo banjo version, but the piano chords would be of some assistance.

Luv

Thal