String Quartets

Small instrumental groups with or without piano
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist
Music Scores: Yes

Re: String Quartets

Post by Jim Faston »

Here's my mildly spruced up version of the currently circulating Mosolov String Quartet Op24 scan.
Mosolov_String Quartet Op24.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar

Post by caostotale »

Thanks Jim, that's a marked improvement. My scan had way too much black space in it, which made it murderous to printer cartridges everywhere.
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

caostotale wrote:Thanks Jim, that's a marked improvement. My scan had way too much black space in it, which made it murderous to printer cartridges everywhere.
Should we have a thread somewhere to give editing/processing tips for scanned images?
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

rob wrote:
caostotale wrote:Thanks Jim, that's a marked improvement. My scan had way too much black space in it, which made it murderous to printer cartridges everywhere.
Should we have a thread somewhere to give editing/processing tips for scanned images?
If people need it... I've personally learned from my past sins and at least attempt to crop away the bulk of negative space that the scanner produces.
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

Here's a quartet from the republic of Georgia that's not owned by Ted Turner. Alongside Tsintsadze, Nasidze is one of that region's finest string quartet composers. This piece (and quite a few others) can be streamed for free at the following excellent website:

http://www.georgian-music.com/free_music/nasidze.php

Sulkhan Ivanovich NASIDZE
String Quartet no. 1 (1968)
Nasidze - String Quartet no. 1 (1968).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arglmann
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Glass Organ, Honk

Post by arglmann »

Hello everyone,

I was told that there were arrangements of Chopin Nocturnes and Preludes for String Quartet.
So far I only found a string quintet version of Nocturne op. 27 No. 2, on IMSLP.
Are there any more?

Thanks for your help.

Arglmann
Listen, die die Welt bedeuten.
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

Here's a quartet by Oleg Eiges. He only composed two of these during his career, comparably few next to the piles of symphonies and piano sonatas:

Oleg Konstantinovich EIGES
String Quartet [no. 1?] (1947, published 1975)
Eiges, O. - String Quartet (1947).pdf
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

A short Armenian work:

Armenak Gurgenovich SHAKHBAGIAN (SHAKHBAGYAN)
Petite Suite, for string quartet; 1. Dance, 2. Andante, 3. Scherzo
Shakhbagian - Petite Suite, for string quartet.pdf
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

...and a short work by a Ukrainian composer. Znosko-Borovsky studied at the Music School in Kiev until 1927 and with Revutsky at the Kiev Music and Drama Institute until 1932. Later, he worked for Kiev Film Studio from 1931-1941 and as a music editor from 1945-1968. He composed quite a bit of music for strings, including three numbered quartets and several pieces for larger ensembles:

Aleksander Fyodorovich ZNOSKO-BOROVSKY
Suite, for string quartet, op. 56 (1959); 1. Prelude, 2. Invention, 3. Interlude, 4. Scherzino, 5. Postlude
Znosko-Borovsky - Suite, for string quartet, op. 56 (1959).pdf
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

Here's a solid example of music that is clearly a product of the Soviet state's strong emphasis on exploring national folk musics. I've not found any information on Birnov, but a library search finds his name attached to this and a number of other folk collections covering nationalities from all over the USSR's territory. The Pamiri people are an Indo-European ethnicity who live in the eastern mountains of modern-day Tajikistan (the region called Gorno-Badakhshan) and in the northeastern 'arm' of Afghanistan. Today they number about 350,000:

Lev Markovich BIRNOV
Pamiri Sketches, for string quartet; 1. Hafiz Song, 2. In the Shade of Plane Trees, 3. Round Dance
Birnov - Pamiri Sketches, for string quartet.pdf