Piano Music of North America (Canada & the USA)

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
alpha
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Piano Music of North America (Canada and the USA)

Post by alpha »

Does anyone have Gottschalk's Le Bananier in the Czerny 4 hand transcription or The Banjo in the 2 piano Guy Maier arrangement?
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fleubis »

alpha wrote:Does anyone have Gottschalk's Le Bananier in the Czerny 4 hand transcription or The Banjo in the 2 piano Guy Maier arrangement?
I would never have guessed that Czerny made a 4 hand transcription of The Banjo, but I see that Gottschalk wrote it in 1855 and Czerney died in 1857, so it's possible.
alpha

Post by alpha »

Czerny transcribed Le Bananier, not the Banjo. It is discussed in Frederick Starr's Gottschalk biography.
Dannen

Leonard Bernstein's "The Masque"

Post by Dannen »

Leonard Bernstein's underrated second symphony, "The Age of Anxiety," is based on a narrative poem by W.H. Auden. It sounds like a piano concerto, but in fact it is program music, in which the piano represents the story's protagonist -- much the same way the solo cello represents the title character in Richard Strauss's "Don Quixote."

One of the highlights of "The Age of Anxiety" is the symphony's scherzo, "The Masque," scored for piano, harp, celesta, and a large percussion section. The first time I ever heard it performed was as a piano solo, in a recital by the late David Bar-Illan; I have his excellent recording of the piece.

I've made my own piano solo arrangement (see below), and it varies somewhat from Bar-Illan's. Most notably, Bar-Illan drops the eleven measures in which the piano is tacet (bars 216-227 in my score), and the melody is carried by the celesta, harp, and xylophone. I've chosen to transcribe that section, because without it the piece seems misshapen.

One other point of interest. Before he performed the piece, Bar-Illan talked about it, and claimed that the melody introduced at bar 67 was in fact a variation on the nursery rhyme tune "Rock-a-bye Baby." I have no idea whether this is true.
Bernstein - The Masque (piano solo).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Blair Fairchild (1877 - 1933). American composer and diplomat. Along with Charles Wakefield Cadman, Charles Sanford Skilton, Arthur Nevin, and Arthur Farwell, among others, he is sometimes grouped among the Indianists, although he had only a marginal association with their work.

Fairchild was born in Massachusetts, the son of Boston investor Charles Fairchild. He studied at Harvard College and in Florence before embarking, after a stint in business, on a career in the diplomatic corps. He first saw service in Constantinople before being transferred to Tehran; in 1903 he settled in Paris, where he pursued further studies in music before becoming a composer. He died in 1933.

Fairchild had studied music while at Harvard, attending classes taught by both John Knowles Paine and Walter Spalding. Upon his arrival in Paris he sought further study with Charles-Marie Widor. His musical style was based on music he had heard during his diplomatic travels, and among his early works were two tone poems upon Persian legends, Zal and Shah Feridoun. He also wrote much in smaller forms, including many pieces for chamber groups, songs and choruses. Fairchild's music has been described as derived from the same influences as the work of Claude Debussy, Maurice Ravel, and Igor Stravinsky.
Fairchild B - 'En Voyage' Eight Pieces.pdf
I have posted his excellent "En Voyage".

Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Thank you for these.
Here is what is currently available from Durand:

http://www.di-arezzo.com/france/partiti ... piano.html
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Re: Leonard Bernstein's "The Masque"

Post by fleubis »

Dannen wrote:Leonard Bernstein's underrated second symphony, "The Age of Anxiety," is based on a narrative poem by W.H. Auden. It sounds like a piano concerto, but in fact it is program music, in which the piano represents the story's protagonist -- much the same way the solo cello represents the title character in Richard Strauss's "Don Quixote."

One of the highlights of "The Age of Anxiety" is the symphony's scherzo, "The Masque," scored for piano, harp, celesta, and a large percussion section. The first time I ever heard it performed was as a piano solo, in a recital by the late David Bar-Illan; I have his excellent recording of the piece.

I've made my own piano solo arrangement (see below), and it varies somewhat from Bar-Illan's. Most notably, Bar-Illan drops the eleven measures in which the piano is tacet (bars 216-227 in my score), and the melody is carried by the celesta, harp, and xylophone. I've chosen to transcribe that section, because without it the piece seems misshapen.

One other point of interest. Before he performed the piece, Bar-Illan talked about it, and claimed that the melody introduced at bar 67 was in fact a variation on the nursery rhyme tune "Rock-a-bye Baby." I have no idea whether this is true.
Thanks for Bernstein! Any transcription of Bernstein is always very welcome, especially one this good.
mvaldes

Post by mvaldes »

Is there any chance that somebody has a transcription of "Danzón" from Bernstein's "Fancy Free"?

I have a casette recording by Dag Achatz that I made some time ago from a radio broadcast - I do not know if he has published his transcription of the whole Suite.

Miguel
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

I mentioned this ages back when we posted a few works by Arthur Farwell (1872--1952)......his Pawnee Horses from Op 20.

Malcolm
Farwell A - Pawnee Horses from Op 20.pdf
WCosand
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by WCosand »

Thank you, Mr. B. The piece is also available from google books, actually.
http://books.google.com/books?id=v5AHAQ ... &q&f=false