Walter Niemann

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
diros
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Walter Niemann

Post by diros »

Found some scores in my local library.
As an appetizer "Romanza", the first piece of Sevillana op.63 (1919).
The sheets are in a scanner unfriendly format - 25x33 cm -, so I long for an A3 scanner ...
Mandolinata, Bolero and Serenata will come the next days, if the snowfall allows it.

best regards , diros
Niemann Romanza (from Sevillana) op.63 No.1.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

diros wrote:Found some scores in my local library.
As an appetizer "Romanza", the first piece of Sevillana op.63 (1919).
The sheets are in a scanner unfriendly format - 25x33 cm -, so I long for an A3 scanner ...
Mandolinata, Bolero and Serenata will come the next days, if the snowfall allows it.

best regards , diros
Thanks, diros, for this charming little addition to our Nieman collection. I just love these little souvenirs that composers make of their travels.
diros

Post by diros »

It is snowing and snowing and niemanning Mandolinata (from Sevillana, op.63 No.2) ...

diros
Niemann Mandolinata (from Sevillana) op.63 No.2.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

diros wrote:It is snowing and snowing and niemanning Mandolinata (from Sevillana, op.63 No.2) ...

diros
What a lovely piece. Seems Niemann might have been familiar with Albéniz "Suite Espagnole" Asturias (Leyenda) to which it is quite similar. Thanks, diros.
diros

Post by diros »

fleubis wrote:
diros wrote:It is snowing and snowing and niemanning Mandolinata (from Sevillana, op.63 No.2) ...

diros
What a lovely piece. Seems Niemann might have been familiar with Albéniz "Suite Espagnole" Asturias (Leyenda) to which it is quite similar. Thanks, diros.
Dear fleubis,
you are welcome! And your enthusiasm for the music gives wings to my scanner life.
Here is Bolero, op.63 No.3.
Enjoy , diros
Niemann Bolero (from Sevillana) op.63 No.3.pdf
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

diros wrote:
fleubis wrote:

diros
Dear fleubis,
you are welcome! And your enthusiasm for the music gives wings to my scanner life.
Here is Bolero, op.63 No.3.
Enjoy , diros
Ah, a charming little Bolero from our illustrious Mr. Niemann. A beautiful vignette, an album leaf as it were. Thanks again, diros.
diros

Post by diros »

And here Serenata, the last piece of op.63.
best regards , diros
Niemann Serenata (from Sevillana) op.63 No.4.pdf
Paul
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano (amateur)

Post by Paul »

Dear diros,

thanks a lot for the complete op.63. It was one of several Niemann scores I ordered last week via inter-library-loan. So when the scores arrive I will have one less to scan. Thanks!!

Paul
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

diros wrote:And here Serenata, the last piece of op.63.
best regards , diros
Thanks diros......it is nice to have this complete set of miniatures.
kh0815

Post by kh0815 »

fleubis wrote:
diros wrote:... As an appetizer "Romanza", the first piece of Sevillana op.63 (1919). ... Mandolinata, Bolero and Serenata will come the next days, if the snowfall allows it. BR diros
Thanks, diros, for this charming little addition to our Nieman collection. I just love these little souvenirs that composers make of their travels.
Reading Niemans's autobiography, it seems that WN never travelled much and/or far awy. He reports that he had an enormous collection of international trains' and shipping companies time-tables, travelbooks etc. - everything was lost after a bombing night, one of his most fatal losses.

WN had good personal contacts to many persons from abroad visiting him. Once a lady asked him after a recital with "Alt-China" how it was in Asia; he answered: "Please excuse me, Ma'am, but my trips took place only in my mind."

A little similar to the career of German author Karl May (1842-1912) who wrote a lot of travel reports. He described himself as "Old Shatterhand", some kind of (US) Western hero, and "Kara ben Nemsi" (Charles Son of Germans), an North African and Arabian hero, he invented "Winnetou", an attractive US indian chief, all very popular in Germany, not only in youth bookshelves.

Karl May was never in these far countries before writing his books (in which he even spoke the natives' idiom and always was more clever than the local villains). Later in his life - after hard years, even in jail - he was able to visit some places. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_May

The difference to Walter Niemann: Karl May did not admit that his phantasy guided himself and his writing. In this sence WN is the far more serious creator.