Polish Composers

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
isokani
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Polish Composers

Post by isokani »

It seems very unlikely that someone who recorded a piece would not have the score. But this sort of slippery half-truth is very common here.
promusician
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,violin,cello

Post by promusician »

musiclife217 wrote:
A scan can always be requested from Berlin:
for 8 euros
Sharing is caring:)
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by mballan »

promusician wrote:
musiclife217 wrote:
A scan can always be requested from Berlin:
for 8 euros
Believe me, that is extremely cheap compared to some libraries. I have paid over £100 for a photocopy of one score from some national libraries. Berlin are usually very helpful.........a colleague and myself have approx 300 scores on order from them.

Malcolm
Balladhe
Participant
Instruments played, if any: piano, violin
Music Scores: No

Post by Balladhe »

Hello, do you happen to have or know where to get piano pieces by Moniuszko? I am looking for polonaises: F sharp major, E flat major, E flat major (two of them, actually), D major, E flat minor, G major. I do not have any numbers, there is recording by Jeffrey Swann: http://youtu.be/BRwriSJgrPs (Mazurkas very welcome, as well as Fraszka) and I absolutely love the polonaise piece here. I wish music for piano by Moniuszko was a little more known and attainable, because it is interesting, but I as for original piano scores I was able to find only three charming valses, which are already featured here. So, thank you in advance for any hints here.
All the best,
Joanna
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Balladhe wrote:Hello, do you happen to have or know where to get piano pieces by Moniuszko? I am looking for polonaises: F sharp major, E flat major, E flat major (two of them, actually), D major, E flat minor, G major. I do not have any numbers, there is recording by Jeffrey Swann: http://youtu.be/BRwriSJgrPs (Mazurkas very welcome, as well as Fraszka) and I absolutely love the polonaise piece here. I wish music for piano by Moniuszko was a little more known and attainable, because it is interesting, but I as for original piano scores I was able to find only three charming valses, which are already featured here. So, thank you in advance for any hints here.
All the best,
Joanna
Here is one Polonaise:
Moniuszko Polonez Es-Dur.pdf
But let me think: What would I do if I were a Polish citizen???
I would go to my local library, would get a library card and would look for piano pieces by Moniusko.
They do not have what I want? Then I would order from other libraries via interlibrary loan.

This is at least how we are doing it in other European countries (and believe me, it does work - particularly since Moniuszko's music is public domain!!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

I sure to like the Moniuszko polonaise....this one really captures the spirit.

Love your comments out inter-library loans. I sure took advantage of the system when I was in grad school. Eventually, I got to the point where some of the scores I wanted to examine were not lent out on inter-library loan and so on one occasional I traveled all the way to the Library of Congress to get access. Contrast that with where I am now. Our town has a pretty decent library but no scores (given the size of this town) and is the **ONLY LENDING LIBRARY IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY**, all of which makes me very happy for the Internet.
Balladhe
Participant
Instruments played, if any: piano, violin
Music Scores: No

Post by Balladhe »

Thank you so much for the music, Alfor!

alfor wrote: But let me think: What would I do if I were a Polish citizen???
I would go to my local library, would get a library card and would look for piano pieces by Moniusko.
They do not have what I want? Then I would order from other libraries via interlibrary loan.

This is at least how we are doing it in other European countries (and believe me, it does work - particularly since Moniuszko's music is public domain!!)
Well, in my tiny hometown there are no scores in public libraries (except some Chopin, Paderewski edition, pff). Unfortunately I do not have access (not anymore) to Music School's library, where it's not impossible to find a little bit unusal pieces, but they do not cooperate with public libraries... Students and teachers only!
I will ask about interlibrary, I've never heard about it before. Thanks again!
J.
promusician
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,violin,cello

Post by promusician »

I think it will not be a difficulty for you to order from here:
http://www.pwm.com.pl/szczegoly.php?prz ... kin=103374
It is so cheap
Sharing is caring:)
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Balladhe wrote:
alfor wrote: But let me think: What would I do if I were a Polish citizen???

Well, in my tiny hometown there are no scores in public libraries (except some Chopin, Paderewski edition, pff). Unfortunately I do not have access (not anymore) to Music School's library, where it's not impossible to find a little bit unusal pieces, but they do not cooperate with public libraries... Students and teachers only!
J.
Balladhe, the facility described by Alfor is certainly not available all throughout Europe. In France, like in your country, most libraries (usually run by the city) have no score at all, and do not have the interlibrary loan system. And musical libraries which exist in Conservatoires are not open and available to general public.
Lucky Germans !
Paul
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano (amateur)

Post by Paul »

Jean-Séb wrote:
Balladhe wrote: Well, in my tiny hometown there are no scores in public libraries (except some Chopin, Paderewski edition, pff). Unfortunately I do not have access (not anymore) to Music School's library, where it's not impossible to find a little bit unusal pieces, but they do not cooperate with public libraries... Students and teachers only!
J.
Balladhe, the facility described by Alfor is certainly not available all throughout Europe. In France, like in your country, most libraries (usually run by the city) have no score at all, and do not have the interlibrary loan system. And musical libraries which exist in Conservatoires are not open and available to general public.
Lucky Germans !
Well, the german interlibrary-loan system is good but not at all perfect and it's not as good as it was 20 years ago, when I did much ILL via my University.
First problem: not all the interesting libraries take part in this system, especially the music conservatories mostly are restricted to students and teachers.
Second problem: 20 years ago they sent the score you wanted to your university library, you could take it with you (if there was no copyright problem), make xerocopies and return it to the nice person at the desk without having to pay a singele cent!!! Now the libraries often tell you that the item you ordered is too old and fragile and cannot be sent but instead of this you can get a scan made for you for which you have to pay. Much of the digital material we now find for free at the homepage of e.g. the Staatsbibliothek Berlin was scanned because someone had ordered and paid it via ILL. This also is OK but somtimes the scans you get are of annoyingly low quality.

Best regards

Paul