The Rags Thread

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
honkytonkpiano
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Keyboard, Organ
Music Scores: No

Re: The Rags Thread

Post by honkytonkpiano »

Another rare Rag from Germany. Sheet music incl. mp3 file...
"Wah-Wah-Rag" (1974), composed and played by the world famous Hammond and WERSI Organ artist Klaus Wunderlich.
Wunderlich, Klaus - Wah-Wah-Rag (Piano Solo) (1974) ((Klaus Wunderlich, world famous german pop organ player and piano artist))m.pdf
Wunderlich, Klaus - Wah-Wah-Rag ((Organ w.bass and drums, cuted out from a medley on the LP Hammond Pops 7, 1972))m.mp3
Klaus Wunderlich (* 18th of June, 1931 in Chemnitz; † 28th of October, 1997 in Engen, OT Bittelbrunn, at the Lake of Constance)
was a German musician, pianist and organ player. He was distinguished with a total of 13 golden records and a golden music cassette.
The first German entertainment musician who made the electronic organ with a bigger audience popular was strange.

Klaus Wunderlich grew up in Chemnitz as a son of a police inspector. Already at the age of 16 years he was Korrepetitor, however, in the end, the light music drew him stronger.

In 1951 Klaus Wunderlich with a volume moved to West Germany and did small-time as a pianist in a bar trio through Germany. During this time he also made acquaintance of the Hammond organ which became from 1955 his main instrument. „The organ is my life“ and „on the Hammond organ one can copy every stringed instrument with the exception of the butter knife,“ said Klaus Wunderlich. Solo appearances followed in various cabaret, until in 1958 the label Teldec became attentive to him and offered to him after a test prelude a record contract.

In the 1970s he established in imperial brook near Karlsruhe his own recording studio and started to work with the Moog synthesizer; he played in with it three long-playing records. Being in 1973 under the title „Sound in 2000 - Moog, organ, Rhythm“ appeared Moog debut served hit classics like „La of Paloma“. His New pop organ sound was known when he complemented the melody guidance on the Hammond H100 around sound effects of the WERSI organs W248S, Lowrey H 25-3 and from 1977 also of the W2 Helios. This sound was not to be produced in the studio only extravagantly and live on the stage reproduceable. An appearance belongs to his late public live concerts in the London royal Albert Hall.

Klaus Wunderlich used the primarily following organs: Hammond C3, Hammond H-100, WERSI W248S, Lowrey H 25-3, Helios WERSI W2, beta WERSI DX 400, WERSI Spectra CD700. His music was always aimed on light entertainment.

He was open to different music styles and played classical, operetta, Broadway musical, as well as popular music. He sold more than 20 million records all over the world and received 13 golden albums as well as one golden cassette.
Some of his work was put into the Soviet cartoon, Nu Pogodi!

On the 28th of October, 1997 Klaus Wunderlich succumbed in the presence of his wife Traudl and friends in his house in Bittelbrunn at the Lake of Constance to a cardiac infarction.

Wunderlich's website in German and English :
http://www.klauswunderlich.de/
Sunkit's page about Klaus Wunderlich in Swedish :
http://www.sunkit.com/klaus-wunderlich/
Klaus Wunderlich: Two Hands - One Orchestra – Biography :
http://web.archive.org/web/201109200751 ... egoryid=52
Klaus Wunderlich in the Internet Movie Database (englisch) :
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Movie_Database

Translated from the german wikipedia website :
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Wunderlich

Have fun with this Piano-Organ Rag.
Best regards,
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by honkytonkpiano on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:29 am, edited 8 times in total.
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Post by fleubis »

Nice pieces there, honktonk. Thanks!
honkytonkpiano

Post by honkytonkpiano »

Hi fleubis, thank you, nice to hear.
More files will come soon...
Best regards,
Martin
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Post by gigiranalli »

Thanks so much for these unknown and eccentric ragtime pieces, Martin!

I will soon send you an email because I have many great ragtime items to share that I think you may find interesting, but for the moment I post a rather unusual rag on Pianophilia for everybody.

The piece is "Sky Blues", composed by prolific ragtime composer Harry Lincoln and it's unusual since it's an old style piano rag originally published as late as 1928.
Lincoln, Harry - Sky Blues.pdf
I hope you'll like it!

Luigi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
honkytonkpiano

Post by honkytonkpiano »

Dear Luigi, wow... thank you so much for this great file "Sky Blues by Harry Lincoln".
Very nice to hear from you again. Hope all is well with you.
In the next weeks i will upload more rare stuff in the threads RAGS and NOVELTY.
I can't wait to get your email...

For this moment...
here is a very rare hungarian-german Rag :
"Florida (Ragtime)" by Albert Szirmai; Arr. by A. Rozsnyai (1919).
Szirmai, Albert - Florida (Ragtime) - Arr.A.Rozsnyai (1919) ((A very rare hungarian-german Rag))m.pdf
I hope you'll like this european Rag.

All the best,
Martin
Last edited by honkytonkpiano on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
honkytonkpiano

Post by honkytonkpiano »

Some music for the weekend...

Here is "Bugle Call Rag" (by J.Pettis, B.Meyers & E.Schoebel) (1923) Dixieland Piano Solo Arr. by Georges Newtone (ca.1960s).
Newtone, Georges - Bugle Call Rag - J.Pettis, B.Meyers & E.Schoebel; Dixieland Piano Arr.G.Newtone_m.pdf
...and here is a Rag in Honky Tonk Piano Style from United Kingdom... "Honky Tonk Rag (Penelope Jane)" (Piano Solo) by Gordon Rees (1955)
Rees, Gordon - Honky Tonk Rag (Penelope Jane) (Piano Solo) (1955)m.pdf
(More piano arrangements by Georges Newtone on the Thread "School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like")

Best RAGards,
Martin
Last edited by honkytonkpiano on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
honkytonkpiano

Post by honkytonkpiano »

Here are some Ragtime compositions and arrangements from the 1950s...
- Ivory Rag (by Lou Busch (Joe "Fingers" Carr)... two different versions.
- Rattlesnake Rag (by Joe "Fingers" Carr & Eddy Hanson).
- Spaghetti Rag (by George Lyons & Bob Yosco; Arr. by Bob Haring).
Busch, Lou - Ivory Rag (Song & Piano Solo) (Optional Piano Solo Arr.Lou Busch) (1950)m.pdf
Busch, Lou - Ivory Rag (In der alten Hafenbar) (Song, german & english lyrics) (1950)m.pdf
Carr, Joe Fingers (as recorded) - Rattlesnake Rag (by Carr & Hanson) (1952)m.pdf
Haring, Bob (Arr.) - Spaghetti Rag (by George Lyons & Bob Yosco) (1950)m.pdf
Have a nice and raggy day,
Martin
honkytonkpiano

Post by honkytonkpiano »

Here are two great Ragtime Songs...
Muir, Abrahams & Clarke - Ragtime Cowboy Joe (Ragtime Song) (from Folio.. Fred Fisher's Million Copy Hits) (1912, 1940)m.pdf
White & Wolfson & Trent & Lawrence - Crazy Otto Rag (Song), The (1955)m.pdf
All the best,
Martin
Last edited by honkytonkpiano on Sun May 03, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honkytonkpiano

Post by honkytonkpiano »

More Piano Rags from the 1950s...
Joplin, Scott & Woody, Dave - Crazy Organ Rag (Piano Score by Robert C.Haring; As rec.by Lenny Dee) (1955)m.pdf
Krenz, Bill - Barber Shop Rag (1953)m.pdf
Krenz, Bill - Mud Cat Rag (1953)m.pdf
Sure you'll enjoy this Ragtime Piano tunes,
Martin
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

Saile, Clara -Yellow Moccasin (1904).pdf
Yellow Moccasin (1904).mid
Hello everyone!

Much thanks to all of you for all your fantastic postings! Your generosity is amazing. It's so wonderful to be able to preserve so much fine music (I'm always reminded of Rudi Blesh's statement that he wished he had copied all those Joplin manuscripts as a backup in case something happened to the originals. Something did happen and "Pretty Pansy Rag," "Recitative Rag" etc. are all, it seems, irrevocably lost). So I greatly appreciate you sharing your copies with us aficionados! A special shout out to Frank Himpsl who kindly shared some phenomenal rarities with us in the early days of this thread. Thanks again, Frank!!

As Luigi, recently said, "I've been gone for some time" (I don't recall if those were his EXACT words, but I agree :) ) and have some things to post here and in the School of Syncopation.

First up is a nice little rag out of Cincinnati, Ohio called "Yellow Moccasin." Obviously, you can deduce from the title that it has a little "Indian" (today we'd say Native American) flavor. It's quite a catchy piece! I didn't find any obvious errors in this score, which I noted in the tagging of the midi. (I've been trying to correct any errors I find in the midis I generally include in my postings and documenting them in the tagging). Enjoy!

PS: I have another rag ready to post but, before I do, I want to see if I can find the date of death for the composer. Hopefully I'll research that before the day is done. Until then...

Best to all!

Rob