School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by Jim Faston »

Could someone grab this transcription with the associated midi file and post it here?

https://musescore.com/user/4981/scores/6586

Here's a piano vocal version. -nms-
King_Chanticleer.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

I found the file:
King Chanticleer (trans. Hepp).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ragsnstride
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by ragsnstride »

John Farrell has a nice transcription of King Chanticleer. In general I have found all of his transcriptions to be very good. You can google him to find them. He's passed on but his transcriptions are still available. I played King Clanticleer many, many years ago when I was in a banjo band. :) It is a great piece.
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

Damned good show chaps. Much obliged.

Thal
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

ragsnstride wrote: I played King Clanticleer many, many years ago when I was in a banjo band. :) It is a great piece.
Nice to know there is some civilisation on this forum :lol:

Thal
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

Linehan, Tommy - 5 Boogie Woogie & Blues Piano solos-transcriptions (1941).pdf
Hi everyone,

Before I answer a couple of other posts on Pianophilia (in different threads), I'd like to refresh the "School of Syncopation" thread with a folio of Tommy Linehan transcriptions made when he was pianist for the Woody Herman Orchestra. In 1941, Herman's "big band" was famous for their blues numbers. Hope you all enjoy!

Best,

Rob
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Very nice, Rob. Thank you.
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

You're quite welcome, Jean-Séb! So glad you enjoyed it.

Rob
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

Miles, Walter E. - Coral Moon -1945.pdf
Miles, Walter E. - Coral Moon -1945.MID
Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd freshen up this thread by posting some of my wife's favorite dinner music, a piece called "Coral Moon" by Walter Eben Miles (May 10, 1885--May 9,1961). The earliest composition I have by Miles is a 1910, lightly syncopated, two step called "The Flirt" (it's available at the University of Indiana website). "Coral Moon" was written 35 years later, and I agree with my wife, it's a lovely piece!

I found the following on eBay posted by "Jfukoro" when advertising a small format copy of MIles' famous "Sparklets":

This was Miles' most popular piece of music, published when he was only 26 (the first, "The Flirt," was published in 1910). Miles' father, Walter B. Miles, was a musician from Cleveland (as was his mother), and although Miles spent most of his life in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area, all of his music was published in Cleveland. The music director at Sam Fox Publishing Company, John S. Zamecnik (pronounced Za-mess-nick), was quick to see the potential of this piece and made orchestral versions of it available to the trade. It was recorded by Conway's Band for Victor in 1915 (although not issued), by Prince's Orchestra for Columbia (A-2159) in 1916 and by Conway again for Edison in 1921. With its echoes from Mendelssohn's Fingel's Cave, it quickly became a standard silent movie piece, signifying "the calm before the storm." It continued to be popular throughout the 1920s and was published in versions for many instruments, including banjo, xylophone, organ and accordion. It also gravitated into the standard jazz repertoire, despite a 6/8 key signature. During the dixieland / ragtime revival of the 1950s and 60s, it was recorded and played often by Willie "The Lion" Smith.

Although he composed a good half-dozen hits for Fox and Zamecnik until 1925 or so, Miles was not dependent on music for his livelihood - he was president of the Miles Coal Company in Grand Rapids from 1922 on. The 1930 census shows him still involved with his coal company, but after that I can find no more information.

Enjoy and sleep well (for those of you close to my time zone).

Rob
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

I too agree with your wife ! Thank you.