Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
AlexeiPianist
Participant
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by AlexeiPianist »

Ragtimer wrote:and i continue...

...with a series called "Keyboard Calvacade of Swing & Boogie Piano Solos", also published by Bosworth & Co. in the UK.

Frank even posted Bert Martland's "Boogie In The Minor". and i'll fill in with 10 more solos. in total there were 13 pieces published in this series.

what's missing up to date are the two pieces "Sax Blue Boogie" by Tom Saville & John Mason and "Swingin' On Lennox Avenue" by William Johnson.

does anyone here has the two pieces in his collection?, so we'll have the series complete in this thread.

Starting with four pieces by Artie Shaw...like the come up on the cover...i'll post in this order.

3. When The Quail Comes Back To St. Quentin
Shaw, Artie; When_The_Quail_Comes_Back_To_St. Quentin, 1946.pdf
4. Dr. Livingstone (I Presume)
Shaw, Artie; Dr. Livingstone, 1946.pdf
Hello Ragtimer,

Maybe you have Shaw "When The Quail Comes Back To St. Quentin" last page? i just downloaded it and page 5 is missing.
thank you!
Ragtimer
Instruments played, if any: piano, trombone

Post by Ragtimer »

Hello AlexeiPianist,

thank you for your advice. here is a new scan of the complete piece.
When_The_Quail_Comes_Back_To_St.Quentin, 1946.pdf
kind regards
Adrien
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fleubis »

Thank you Adrien. I do wonder how they come up with these crazy titles back then. This is really a nice Artie Shaw piece.
AlexeiPianist
Participant
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by AlexeiPianist »

Ragtimer wrote:Hello AlexeiPianist,

thank you for your advice. here is a new scan of the complete piece.
When_The_Quail_Comes_Back_To_St.Quentin, 1946.pdf
kind regards
Adrien
Thanks a lot Ragtimer!
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

Hi everybody!

It’s some time I’m missing so I come back with a couple of pieces you may find interesting.

I checked what has been posted of Fats Waller and I don’t think this particular instrumental has ever been included in the sheet music sharing, so I contribute it since it’s rare and apparently not present online in the many digital collections available.

The title is “Latch On!” and it’s a very fine piece, although I’m not a Waller fan and I don’t care much for his music.

This instrumental one is part of a series of rather unknown Waller instrumentals beautifully arranged by Ken Macomber. I have other pieces from this series and I may post them soon.

Then I also add a rather unknown number by a composer and pianist that I like very much instead and that’s the great Clarence M. Jones.

I recently got his fine recording of “Pensacola Joe” and some early jazz songs he had composed, among which there’s this “Black Bottom’s Got ‘Em”, a fine number he wrote with Glenn Coleman and Will Hendrickson.

Enjoy the music!
Jones, Clarence - Black Bottom's Got 'Em.pdf
Waller, Thomas - Latch On.pdf
Luigi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Luigi, thanks much for these pieces. That Fats Waller piece really swings!
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

fleubis wrote:Luigi, thanks much for these pieces. That Fats Waller piece really swings!
I’m glad you liked the Waller piece, Fleubis.

I hope there will be some sheet music posting from other users after that. I’ll eventually post the other Waller rarities.

Today I’d rather share a piano solo that I like better, that is an Alex Hill arrangement that has not been previously posted I think.

It’s again a composition by Gene Gifford from the Casa Loma Orchestra, again arranged by the great Alex Hill, and the title is “Black Jazz”.
Gifford, Gene; Hill, Alex - Black Jazz.pdf
Speaking of Hill, I’m currently looking for more of his special piano solos, such as his arrangement of “Basin Street Blues”. I doubt that anybody here has got that piece or similar others that haven't been posted here before, but just in case please post it!

Best

Luigi
honkytonkpiano
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Keyboard, Organ
Music Scores: No

Post by honkytonkpiano »

Hello friends..

Dear Frank, Luigi, Toby etc.
Thank you sooooooooo much for all your great uploads !
After a long long time...
in the next weeks i will try to upload some rare files more and hope you will like it.

At first something from Europe...
Here is "7x BOOGIE" (Wien, Weltmusik, from the 1960s). A rare Boogie Woogie Piano Solo music book from Germany-Austria. published in Vienna, Austria ca. in the 1960s.
7x BOOGIE (Wien, Weltmusik, 60s)_MUSIC BOOK_m (NOTE - The original book have no idx! This idx is added by me).pdf
Have fun and all the best,
Martin
Last edited by honkytonkpiano on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:03 am, edited 6 times in total.
honkytonkpiano

Post by honkytonkpiano »

Dear Toby,

Here are same two Winifred Attwell files again... but now scanned COMPLETE.
Sure you will like this scores.
Atwell, Winifred (Arr.) - Firefly, The (Samba) (by Donald Phillips) (1949)_m --COMPLETE--.pdf
Atwell, Winifred - Dixie Boogie (1952)_m --COMPLETE--.pdf
Best regards,
Martin
Last edited by honkytonkpiano on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:08 am, edited 6 times in total.
honkytonkpiano

Post by honkytonkpiano »

For the friends of German music...
Here are some rare compositions and arrangements by famous German musician Walter Dobschinski.

Walter Dobschinski (actually: Dobrczinski; * 29th of October, 1908 in Berlin; † in 1996)
was a German Posaunist, bassist, composer, arranger and tape leader.

He studied music and harmony apprenticeship in the Berlin conservatoire. Before the Second World War he played in the orchestra of Teddy Stauffer, during the war with Kurt Hohenberger in the German dance band and dance band and with hanging Bruyns. In 1947 he came to the Berlin broadcasting company and put from the musicians of the RBT orchestra (who played together, however, in both formations) and some additional musicians as for example to the trumpet player Macky Kasper his swing tape. From February, 1947 to June, 1949 (and then still by one single admission meeting in May, 1954) he took up a lot of titles for Amiga, besides, however, also for other sound record companies. One of his best known pieces is of the Dob's (chinskis) Boogie.

Translated from the german wikipedia website :
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Dobschinski

Hope you will like this music.
Best regards,
Martin
Last edited by honkytonkpiano on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:26 am, edited 13 times in total.