Ragtimer
Instruments played, if any: piano, trombone
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by Ragtimer »

Nr. 10 "Sax Blue Boogie" by Tom Saville & Hohn Mason

&

Nr. 11 "Swingin' On Lennox Avenue" by William Johnson

are missing, perhaps someone has them in his collection...
Ragtimer

Post by Ragtimer »

12. Sleepy Town Train by Bill Fontaine
Fontaine, Bill, Sleepy_Town_Train, 1942 (arr. Irving Miller).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ragtimer

Post by Ragtimer »

and the last one a RUMBA, who likes it...

13. Chiqui Chiqui Cha by Lázaro Quintero
Quintero, Làzaro; Chiqui_Chiqui_Cha, 1946.pdf
Have fun with this series

Happy New Year
Adrien
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ragtimer

Joe Davis Novelty Piano Solos

Post by Ragtimer »

within another subject...

at first of all FRANK, and naturally others make such a big effort to present us here a big output of American Novelty Publishing and share such rare and wonderful pieces.

Frank shared here in the past few years music of his lifework collecting, without his postings, we wouldn't have had access to such rare pieces, we could have searched decades for it...and with one click they were accessible.

there were serious followers like Luigi, Benjamin, tobbyii, Martin, jellyroll, timtim, etc.
we got pleasures and dissapointments. like Luigi and Benjamin wrote if you even search in your home town libraries, you'll certainly find never seen music. and the Novelty idiom is not as old than Ragtime ; )

i found an original by "Leo Erdody" in my sheets, a 1931 Joe Davis publication called "Random Thoughts". i dind't know that he has German roots and was very succesful in the movie industry. if wished i can upload it here. are there other solos by him or Davis published don't coming up on any cover?

first of all its cover.
Erdody, Leo; Random Thoughts, 1931.jpg
like you can see on the cover there exists many more solos, some were even posted here, but many not, perhaps someone else than Frank could post some of them...
here the list of the pieces missing on this thread here:

Auld Lang Syne
Old Black Joe
Silver Threads Among The Gold
= Paraphrases by Eugene Platzmann

After You've Gone (Paraphrase) by Creamer & Layton
Fidgets by Carson J. Robison & Murray Kellner
High Brown by Jimmy Johnson
I'm Drifting Back To Dreamland (Paraphrase) by Harrison & Sadler
S'posin' by Razaf & Denniker
Stack'Em Up by Luis Russel & H. Levy
Tranquility by Harry Sosnik
Twilight Chimes by Eugene Stanley

the attentive readers here, remember perhaps that i started a Harry Sosnik subject about his solos...
of all pieces i told you, there are only his two solos "Tranquility" & "Rhythmis Fantasy" missing. you see it is possible to get the music and i'm a foreigner living in Germany ;)

kind regards to all
and a HAPPY NEW YEAR

Adrien
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Scriabinoff »

mballan wrote:One of my great passions is collecting movie concertos and similar such works.....such as Addinsell's famous Warsaw Concerto.....here is one which is equally enjoyable. Donald Phillips - born in East London in 1913. He did not have a musical background; his father was a tailor and his mother did pay for some music lessons, but although Donald had to leave school early, his love of music shone through. He was talent-spotted when, as a boy of 14, he was heard playing the piano at a pub in Maida Vale by the musical writer and publisher, Lawrence Wright.

Joined the Musicians' Union in 1936 and remained a member for nearly 60 years. During the Second World War, he served in the RAF and was part of a forces entertainment team. An accomplished pianist, he was musical director and accompanist for the entertainment stars of the 1940s to the 1960s — the Marx Brothers, Beverley Sisters, Dickie Valentine, Shirley Bassey, Donald Peers, Alan Jones, Dick Emery, Anne Shelton, Yana, Jill Day, Joan Regan, Anita Harris, Susan Maughan and, most recently, Ted Rodgers.

During his long career, mostly out of the limelight, he was regarded as a true “Tin Pan Alley man”. Among his compositions were Old Piano Rag, A Live Show is the Best Show, Broken Date, and To Him We’re All The Same. Two major mini-concertos stand out: Concerto in Jazz – recorded by several leading orchestras including Sidney Torch, Mantovani and George Melachrino; and Skyscraper Fantasy was probably his best-known work, although its transatlantic style sounded more like the work of an American composer, than a Londoner.

Donald Phillips’ music was played and sung on both sides of the Atlantic by artists, bands and orchestras, including Winifred Atwell, Russ Conway, Lalo Schifrin, Liberace, Billy Cotton, Sid Phillips (no relation) and Sidney Torch.

He died in 1994 in Hemel Hempstead.

I have posted his Concerto in Jazz.

Malcolm & Mr P
Phillips D - Concerto in Jazz.pdf
request:
Mills Music in arrangement with Lawrence Wright published a piano solo of the Skyscraper fantasy in 1947. Cannot find anything stateside but I saw several library hits in UK.
Malc do you have or can you acquire this and share/post if possible? Or does any other user have this?

citation: Phillips, Donald. Skyscraper fantasy: piano forte solo. London: Lawrence Wright, 1947.

Also any other Phillips is much appreciated. I see there are solo piano ver. of these as well:
Cuban Holiday
Tap Dancer (Danse Modernique)
The Firefly

Cheers and thanks for looking and considering or any time spend on providing additional guidance /direction :D
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by mballan »

Sorry do not have the Phillips work.............and will still be covered by copyright [Phillips died in 1994 and British Libraries tend to be very strict on copyright] ?

Malcolm
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Dear Scriabinoff,

subject to the moderators' view in allowing this to remain long enough for you to grab it - (this being an arrangement by Winifred Atwell (and I believe out of print), here is The Firefly.
Phillips, Donald - The Firefly (Winifred Atwell).pdf
Regards,

tobyjj
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Some more,
Abraham, Paul - (4 Songs) (Movie - Gluck uber Nacht) - 1933.pdf
regards,

tobyjj
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

more,
Abraham, Paul - Bin Kein Hauptmann, Bin Kein Grosses Tier (ufa movie) 1928.pdf
regards,

tobyjj
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

more,
Dorflinger, Kurt - Ganz Leis' Erklingt foxtrot (alt).pdf
regards,

tobyjj