School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by Jim Faston »

Anyone with Fred Fisher's The Dance of the Blue Danube? Thanks.

EDIT--here's a midi of Vincent Lopez's version from an Ampico roll that I found on the net and a link to a Youtube video of same:
Ampico-210401 The Dance Of The Blue Danube.mid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE9X2Ymihyw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jim Faston on Tue May 07, 2013 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello Frank,

Hope all is well with you,

I think you have a BARN full of music sheets. :mrgreen:
Thanks for posting the Satterfield.

You are still the best!

(I still have a lot of german / european music to post but I hesitate on this forum because they are mostly "song / vocal" - but I think you would like a lot of them (or like them a lot) [pm - if interested] Frank.

and hello t everyone else too.

regards,
tobyjj
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

Please keep up the good work here.

This thread has given me and my ever increasing family of banjos some excellent material.

Luv

Thal
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Lew Pollack's That's-A-Plenty. A little traveling music please...
Pollack_That's-A-Plenty.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That's_a_Plenty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Scriabinoff »

no biographical info found on this chap...any help on that is much appreciated

Samuel Spivak (b.___?; d.___? )
"Boogie Woogie Promenade"
Spivak, Samuel - Boogie Woogie Promenade.pdf
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Raye, Don
Don_Raye.jpg
b. Donald McRae Wilhoite Jnr., 16 March 1909, Washington, D.C., USA, d. January 1985. A popular songwriter from the 30s through to the 50s, Raye was as accomplished dancer as a boy, and won the Virginia State Dancing Championship. From the mid-20s he worked as a singer and dancer in vaudeville, and later toured theatres and nightclubs in France and England, whilst also writing songs for himself and other performers. In 1935 he collaborated with Sammy Cahn, Saul Chaplin and band leader Jimmie Lunceford on ‘Rhythm In My Nursery Rhymes’ and in the late 30s worked for a New York music publishing house. After moving to Hollywood in 1940, Raye was commissioned to write the songs for Argentine Nights, in which the Andrews Sisters made their screen debut. Together with Hughie Prince and the Sisters’ arranger, Vic Schoen, Raye wrote ‘Hit The Road’ and ‘Oh! How He Loves Me’. Another collaboration with Prince resulted in ‘Rhumboogie’, the first of a series of ‘boogie woogie’ numbers, several of which became hits for the Andrews Sisters, pianist Freddie Slack, and Will Bradley And His Orchestra. Raye and Prince’s next assignment was Buck Privates, which also featured the Andrews Sisters, and rocketed the comedy duo Abbott And Costello to movie stardom. The songs included ‘You’re A Lucky Fellow, Mr Smith’, ‘Bounce Me, Brother, With A Solid Four’ and ‘Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy’. The latter number was nominated for an Academy Award, and revived successfully in 1973 by Bette Midler. Raye’s other boogie ballads included ‘Beat Me, Daddy, Eight To The Bar’, ‘Rock-A-Bye The Boogie’, ‘Down The Road A Piece’ and ‘Scrub Me, Mama, With A Boogie Beat’. His long partnership with Gene De Paul, which began in the early 40s, resulted in songs for films such as In The Navy, San Antonio Rose, Moonlight In Hawaii, Keep ’Em Flying, Hellzapoppin’, What’s Cookin’, Ride ’Em Cowboy, Almost Married, Pardon My Sarong, Behind The Eight Ball, When Johnny Comes Marching Home, Hi Buddy, Reveille With Beverly, What’s Buzzin’ Cousin?, Larceny With Music, Crazy House, I Dood It, Hi Good Lookin’ and Stars On Parade. The team also enjoyed success in 1944 with ‘Who’s That In Your Love Life?’, ‘Irresistible You’, ‘Solid Potato Salad’, and ‘Milkman, Keep Those Bottles Quiet’ from Broadway Rhythm. Towards the end of World War II De Paul spent two years in the Armed Forces, before he and Don Raye resumed writing their movie songs in 1947 with ‘Who Knows?’ for Wake Up And Dream and ‘Judaline’ for A Date With Judy. In 1948 they contributed to A Song Is Born and also wrote ‘It’s Whatcha Do With Whatcha Got’ for the Walt Disney live-action feature So Dear To My Heart. De Paul and Raye’s last film work together was for the highly acclaimed Disney cartoon The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr Toad (1949). During the time he worked with De Paul, Raye also collaborated with others on ‘Yodelin’ Jive’, ‘Why Begin Again?’, ‘This Is My Country’, ‘I Love You Too Much’, ‘Music Makers’, ‘The House Of Blue Lights’, ‘Your Home Is In My Arms’, ‘Domino’, ‘They Were Doin’ The Mambo’ (a US hit for Vaughn Monroe), ‘Roses And Revolvers’, ‘I’m Looking Out The Window’ and ‘Too Little Time’. Although he wrote just the occasional song after the mid-50s, Raye’s ‘Well All Right’ (with Frances Faye and Dan Howell) became a hit for the Andrews Sisters in 1959, and was also interpolated into the 1978 biopic The Buddy Holly Story.

Encyclopedia of Popular Music, Copyright Muze, Inc. 1989 - 2008

c.1942
A nice hoppin' Boogie
Raye, Don - (That Place) Down the Road a Piece.pdf
This single work is provided only to help illustrate and provide an example of his compositional style. For educational/non-commercial and personal background information and use only.
Tinou

Post by Tinou »

I love JL Cook's arrangement of That's A Plenty (on a piano roll). I made a transcription that used to be in the compressed archive on the first page of the Piano Rolls Thread, but it is not available anymore, so here it is again.
That's A Plenty - 9584 S.mid
That's a plenty.pdf
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Tinou wrote:I love JL Cook's arrangement of That's A Plenty (on a piano roll). I made a transcription that used to be in the compressed archive on the first page of the Piano Rolls Thread, but it is not available anymore, so here it is again.
Excellent!
Ragtimer
Instruments played, if any: piano, trombone

Post by Ragtimer »

Hello to all,

Frank was so kind to scan us in the past eight pieces of Vincent Lopez and also his folio No.2 of Novelty Piano Solos.
i own both folios of Lopez and in his first there is a Novelty version of Kaufman's "Bing! Bing!" published 1915 at origin.
if you compare both versions you see what Lopez changed to bring it up to a Novelty arrangement.
it was also published as a single sheet.
Bing_Bing, 1924.pdf
Bye
Adrien
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

was going to this to the NA scores but in review of the composer's remarks about the works including their strong jazz influences and written improvisations, I felt perhaps they might better fit here. Seem to be pretty rare, can't find them posted or even offered for sale anywhere (heck even finding a mention of them amongst the composer's works is a challenge, his official BIO doesn't even seem to mention, odd there are three volumes, not an unsubstantial amount of piano music!).
peter-tod-lewis bio.pdf
Scanned all three volumes and combined them into a single file.

Peter Tod Lewis: Collected Chips (off the old block, Vol I, II, III)
Score, 24.7 MB
https://mega.co.nz/#!eZRyUZAL!KNKLgiirI ... SVN1vfFvpU