School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
GJF323
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by GJF323 »

One by Vernon Duke - Spring Comes to Mr. Babbitt. I have a few Duke pieces around here, needing to be reassembled.
Duke Vernon Spring Comes to Mr Babbitt.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GJF323

Post by GJF323 »

Meredith Willson's OO McIntyre Suite, arranged by Domenico Savino
Willson Meredith OO McIntyre Suite 1 Thingumabobs.pdf
Willson Meredith OO McIntyre Suite 2 Thoughts While Strolling.pdf
Willson Meredith OO McIntyre Suite 3 Local Boy Makes Good.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,
fhimpsl wrote:Hi Toby,

Thanks for this incredible Lothar Perl rarity. Talking about rare...his widow didn't even have a copy of this!! And I've never seen reference to a piece called "Diff Daffs" by Lothar Perl! The LOC had all of his colorful and wonderful Schott publications, but certainly not this one. Perhaps it was published by another German publisher, or by an American publisher after Perl's emigration. Also, Harry Bluestone is a name to me. I remember seeing instrumentals composed by him and published during the 1940s (if memory serves!) .......
I'm not entirely sure why I remember a title of Perl's as Diff Daff's - I could be completely wrong - it may be Diffy Daffy or something similar - or I may have confused it with another composer's work. My memory suggests that I saw it on the back of a Perl original (Tim & Tom I think) - I shall dig it out and try and find out. I have puzzled myself with that reference.

Is there in fact a definitive list (or near-complete) of Lothar Perl's compositions? I would like to see one as I'm sure I'm missing many!

Of Harry Bluestone's pieces, "Gymnastics" and "Kiddin' On The Strings" spring to mind (Neither of which I have!) - Again, a list of any other pieces he wrote would be nice to see.

--------

GJF,

Thank you very much for those 2 Lothar Perl pieces - I checked my files and I couldn't find either, so I'm pleased to be able to add these two.

regards to all,
tobyjj
GJF323

Post by GJF323 »

"Successor to the Doll Dance" - probably another one of this composer's novelties, rather than the famous Doll Dance. Here is Bernard Barnes Dainty Miss (Novelette for Piano)
Barnes Bernard Dainty Miss (Novelette for Piano).pdf
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

Thanks for your posts GJF.

Here is (yet another) TTT - though I can't discern the volume number (1939 - maybe Number 3?). I don't think I posted this before - apologies if I did.
1939 - Tonfilm - Theater - Tanz.pdf
Regards,
tobyjj
peleg

Looking for Japanese sheet 1948

Post by peleg »

Hello, Pianophiliacs. I am an amateur player in the US. I am interested in learning a piece by the Japanese composer Ryoichi Hattori. He wrote popular music, and about 1948 he published "Tokyo Boogie Woogie". This was apparently a big hit in Japan. A big band arrangement was recorded, and it was used in a movie. If you want to hear it, you can look for that title on youtube. Now I have found some folios that have simplified arrangements, but I know that the original sheet music for piano was more complicated (had a boogie woogie left hand). Can anyone tell me how to find a copy? Thank you!
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

Peleg, I think I may have the piece you are looking for - I will try and find it.

In the meantime (and apologies for this very mixed bag), in the vein of the TTT postings (and possibly my last) ---
Wiener Musik Magazin - heft 7.pdf
regards,
tobyjj
GJF323

Post by GJF323 »

Here is a transcription by Stanley Black of Henry K. Hadley's October Twilight. If anyone has the original Hadley piece it would be nice to see also, as the melody is quite attractive. I have a folio of Stanley Black transcriptions which are also quite well done - will scan the folio soon as it is not huge.
Hadley Henry October Twilight (arr Stanley Black).pdf
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Does anyone have piano scores by Stanley Black or arrangements for 2h.of his music?

Thanks.

ILU.
Quo melius Illac
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

I have a few Stanley Black transcriptions, but I suspect they might be in GJF's folio, which has been promised.
If not included I will add.

Regards,
tobyjj