YouTube Finds

Why can't anyone get it right?
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

Re: YouTube Finds

Post by fredbucket »

Urk…

The piano keyboard is as it is for a reason - I’m not sure what the reason is behind this one…

Regards
Fred
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

Does anyone else here watch David Hurwitz, executive editor of 'classics today dot com', pontificating on and passing judgement upon different CD recordings? His videos are always very entertaining, and so here's an example on him talking about the Arnold Bax symphonies. He refers to 'Baxia' and 'Bantockia' and how the two factions in America have fallen out over the British monarchy!

As an aside, I notice that yet again, the British Proms programmers have completely ignored virtually every great British composer of the 20th century (including Bax) except for one or two of the usual suspects, but have also included copious amounts of music by Coleridge-Taylor.
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by bingo »

Timtin wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:34 pm Does anyone else here watch David Hurwitz, executive editor of 'classics today dot com', pontificating on and passing judgement upon different CD recordings?
I do watch a number of his videos but I've given up commenting as he is so driven to curate his comment stream that he deletes wildly. I've written some lengthy replies which got purged despite not disobeying any of his rules. The consequence was that it affected the YouTube algorithm for me and I my comments on other channels started getting flagged as spam. It was very frustrating when I was trying to have back and forth with people I know on Youtube!
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

This was a very pleasant surprise. JunWu has produced a lot of clever parody mashups but this is an effective work.
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

This isn't so much a message about YouTube finds, but rather about YouTube can't finds, in particular the later string quartets by Wellesz. The ealier ones are fairly well represented, with an old LP recording of No.1, a live performance of part of No.2 and a CD recording of Nos.3, 4 and 6. Also, No.5 was recorded on CD a couple of years ago, grouped with Zemlinsky's excellent No.1 and Webern's SQ. But I've struggled to find any recordings of Wellesz's last three SQs, Nos.7, 8 and 9. Any information on whether they've ever been recorded would be gratefully received!
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

Florian Noack's virtuoso arrangement of I Wanna Be Like You from Disney's The Jungle Book