Walter Niemann

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Walter Niemann

Post by Jean-Séb »

Thank you Paul for sharing these scores in this thread and the other three ones.
WalterNiemann
Pianophiliac

Post by WalterNiemann »

Thanks Paul for these special Niemann scores! As far as I can see the Arietta, Capricietto, Kleiner Walzer, Mazurka and Minuetto scherzando are all in his Op.11. The two Op.22 pieces are indeed very mouth-watering!
Phillip210
Pianophiliac

Post by Phillip210 »

Great to see these pieces, and it is always fascinating to see extracts from old music journals which so often contain pieces that were either written specially or are hard to find elsewhere.
Paul
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano (amateur)

Post by Paul »

WalterNiemann wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:04 pm Thanks Paul for these special Niemann scores! As far as I can see the Arietta, Capricietto, Kleiner Walzer, Mazurka and Minuetto scherzando are all in his Op.11. The two Op.22 pieces are indeed very mouth-watering!
Thank you for this info - since some of the Niemann scores in an earlier issoe of the magazine were from his op.16 I compared only the numbers from op.17 and higher ...

Happy Easter

Paul
WalterNiemann
Pianophiliac

Post by WalterNiemann »

Speaking of piano collections: I found two more little pieces by Niemann in an album published by Schott. The pieces are from his Opus 58 (very hard to find and to get copies of because of the copyright restrictions). In literally all libraries is only the second part of this work available. However the first volume can be found in Poland (http://katalog.nukat.edu.pl/lib/item?id ... heme=nukat Wrocław - Biblioteka Uniwersytecka).

Niemann W - op. 58 Nos.15, 17 Was den Kindern Freude macht 1918.pdf

Enjoy and stay healthy, at home and at the piano!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WalterNiemann
Pianophiliac

Post by WalterNiemann »

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-30 um 14.05.15.png

I discovered a new 'lost' piece by Niemann in the Texas West Library! Unfortunately I am not able to travel to the USA to do some copies of it. I would like to ask our American Pianophilians if they had the the opportunity to obtain the score. It sounds quite interesting...

Stay healthy and best wishes!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Per Worldcat there are 4 libraries that hold this:

University of Missouri-Kansas City
West Library, Texas Wesleyan University
Brigham Young University
NUKAT, Union Catalog of Polish Research Libraries (not sure which library in system)

I've pretty much given up on ILL as I've had zero luck in the past few years.
WalterNiemann
Pianophiliac

Post by WalterNiemann »

I did some research in NUKAT but I didn't find any results (very weird...)

That's very unfortunate that libraries are so uncooperative. Btw same goes for most libraries in Europe - think of all the gems that are hidden and are waiting to be discovered by enthusiasts. I think (and I hope) that the scores get much more accessible after the works enter the PD...
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

I think a lot of the problem is that I no longer have University access - lately libraries seem to be reluctant to ILL to municipal libraries. Over the past few years the fees in some cases have gotten out of hand, with shipping both ways and some libraries charging a 25 - 40 USD fee it can be cost prohibitive.
WalterNiemann
Pianophiliac

Post by WalterNiemann »

A small contribution but it may solve a long existing problem...
Niemann - op. 56, Zwei romantische Impressionen No.1 last page (readable).pdf