School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
sgambatiesque

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by sgambatiesque »

Some of you may remember an early Edition Lockenhaus disk with a number of musical "jokes" such as the Kupkovic "Souvenir".
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/alb ... m_id=64809

It includes a piano Improvisation by Leonid Czishyk which I always liked and wish I had a transcription of. I can't remember the details of the piece as that CD was stolen in a home break-in years ago, and I haven't seen the track available elsewhere (iTunes etc).

I see now via YouTube that he's a Russian jazz pianist aka Leonid Chizhik : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SEArIszLnA,
He's also worked with Gidon Kremer again with a set of "Fantasy Variations on a theme of Mozart" that are available on Spotify etc

Has anyone stumbled across any transcriptions of his work?
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,
Music Scores: Yes

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

I think Alfor is the most likely to be able to help with the Chizhik (and many other undeservedly obscure eastern europeans) ...

In the meantime more 'Zum Tee' -
Zum 5 Uhr Tee - Band 3.pdf
Regards,
tobyjj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

Another 'Zum Tee'
Zum 5 Uhr Tee - Band 4.pdf
Regards,
tobyjj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

Happy Easter!

Another Zum Tee am 5 Uhr.
Zum 5 Uhr Tee - Band 8.pdf
[Can anyone help me with any Harold Dixon music (piano solos)?
I'm looking for the following: -

Brownies On Parade (1927)
Dance Of The Gnomes (1927)
Lock The Barn! (1927)
Manikin Ball, The (1927)
Scarecrows' Convention, The (1927)
Snuffuns (1927)
Toy Town Topics (1927)

I only have:-

"Harlequins Grand March"

which I will upload if requested.

Failing solos - I wouldn't mind some songs - though I already have some of his, but haven't really organised my 'holdings' yet.]

Regards,
tobyjj
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Toby,

A Happy Easter to you & your family as well! Thanks once again for all the wonderful German theater magazines which you've scanned and posted. They really do bring back memories of songs my mom used to sing when I was very small.

On the Harold Dixon piano solos, the only one I've ever seen is "Lock The Barn!", and I can remember the cover. Now it should be around the house (hopefully in a "D" folder), so a concerted search effort will be done! As far as the Dixon songs I must have some but they're not filed...for the most part I filed only piano solo material. After our cross-country move my sheet music has been poorly organized, and I need to take several days to bring it back to some sense of normalcy. But I'll look around and see what I can find!

All Best,

Frank
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Thanks Frank,

I'm fairly certain I've seen 'Brownies On Parade' too so I'm hopeful that that one shouldn't be too hard to track down.

regards,
tobyjj
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

Another Zum Tee.
Zum 5 Uhr Tee - Band 14.pdf
Happy Easter everyone

regards,
tobyjj
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

An interlude from the german postings - well almost.
Lothar Perl's name is given a credit in this rare piece.!
Bluestone, Cadkin & Lothar Perl - Symphonic_Flight, 1944.pdf
Reviewing my Lothar Perl files, I don't think I have "Diff Daffs" - Does anyone have that?

regards,
tobyjj
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Toby,

Thanks for this incredible Lothar Perl rarity. Talking about rare...his widow didn't even have a copy of this!! And I've never seen reference to a piece called "Diff Daffs" by Lothar Perl! The LOC had all of his colorful and wonderful Schott publications, but certainly not this one. Perhaps it was published by another German publisher, or by an American publisher after Perl's emigration. Also, Harry Bluestone is a name to me. I remember seeing instrumentals composed by him and published during the 1940s (if memory serves!)

After all these years, there's always the possibility and thrill of a new discovery!

All Best,

Frank
GJF323

Post by GJF323 »

Here is Tenderly, "specially arranged" by the composer Walter Gross. Seven poetic pages just right for late night piano musing.
Gross Walter Tenderly (arr by composer).pdf