Composers' wills / last testaments

Anything musical that will not fit into the above fora
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)
Music Scores: Yes

Composers' wills / last testaments

Post by 4candles »

I wasn't sure whether or not to include this under the 'Morbid matters (perhaps not so musical)' thread, but the issue of composers' wills has interested me from time to time over the years.

They would be (and are, no doubt) useful sources of information when it comes to tracking down hard-to-find scores, in situations where estates may have been bequeathed to family members or close associates.

There are a number of music scores I would love to be able to track down (especially of French composers), and this could be one source of information.

Are there online resources for this kind of thing? I know libraries have archives (eg the BnF in Paris), but is that where copies of wills/last testaments would be kept?

Anyone with any information/thoughts?

Many thanks
4c
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Re: Composers' wills / last testaments

Post by Jean-Séb »

4candles wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:31 pmAre there online resources for this kind of thing? I know libraries have archives (eg the BnF in Paris), but is that where copies of wills/last testaments would be kept?
As far as France is concerned, testaments are not normally made available to the public. They are often drawn up and kept by "notaires" in their archives.
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Re: Composers' wills / last testaments

Post by 4candles »

Thanks for that Jean-Séb! :)