British organ music

Majestic music for a majestic instrument
Op. XXXIX

Re: British organ music

Post by Op. XXXIX »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:Here you are Jason, the superb Introduction and Passacaglia of Sir Walter Alcock written for the Three Choirs Festival of 1933 in Hereford where the composer gave the first performance at the young age of 72!
Thank-you, thank-you! I'd forgotten that the I&P was dedicated to Harold Darke, another conservative, crusty figure in British church music. I've visited his church, St. Michael, Cornhill.
Op. XXXIX

Post by Op. XXXIX »

Most Elgarians should welcome the first complete recording of The Crown of India. Rather good stuff I would say, but best to forget the spoken commentary. Times were different then, yeah okay, no accounting for it all.

Sir Andrew Davis does yeoman service, but surely the Op. 65 Coronation March is just a mite bit too fast. It's like he's apologizing for it.

That is not acceptable. Okay, Elgar was tired of it all by that time -oh we never get tired and jaded, do we?- but he wrote an absolute masterpiece of mosaic key changes and soul states. There is so much depth there, Elgar never wrote a prosaic note. He requires time to expand... and Maestro Davis is not quite there.
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium
Music Scores: Yes

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

For my good friend Op.XXXIX, the only piece by George Oldroyd that I have.
regards
Brian
Oldroyd Le Prie-Dieu.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Op. XXXIX

Post by Op. XXXIX »

Brian, my good mate, many thanks for the scan! Ah yes, Oldroyd's music has a very characteristic appearance on the printed page, and this is no exception.

But his Anglican service music must be sitting around somewhere, though I've never found a site like IMSLP for church music. Such riches, such out of print riches deserve a place to be made available. I'm wondering if an email to Peterborough Cathedral might put me on the trail to more of Oldroyd's music.

As you know, Priory have released an excellent series of British church music composers. We've had the likes of Percy Buck and Noel Rawsthorne, so why not Oldroyd? Okay, an email to Priory seems like a good idea...

Thanks again!
Op. XXXIX

Post by Op. XXXIX »

Brian, I just played the Oldroyd in rehearsal and will do it in church Sunday.

I love it.
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin

Op. XXXIX wrote:Brian, I just played the Oldroyd in rehearsal and will do it in church Sunday.

I love it.
Hi Jason,
I have only heard it played once before at an organ recital in Hull City Hall, something like 30 years ago and it made a huge impression on me then so I am glad someone else will also now play it, I usually play it 3 or 4 times a year at least during services. It is really a fine piece.

Incidentally I have to blow my own tromba magna at the moment, all you organ fans must go to the following link.

http://www.evensongmusic.net/lamborgan.html

best wishes
Brian
PS Congratulations on your birthday, heres to many more organ playing years
giwro
Instruments played, if any: Organ, Piano

Post by giwro »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:[

.....I have to blow my own tromba magna at the moment, all you organ fans must go to the following link.

best wishes
Brian

And a pleasure it is to have Brian aboard! Just another benefit of this board, which is where I met Brian and we've shared and helped each other with considerable amounts of organ music, both privately and here. :D

- G
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

giwro wrote:
HullandHellandHalifax wrote:[

.....I have to blow my own tromba magna at the moment, all you organ fans must go to the following link.

best wishes
Brian

And a pleasure it is to have Brian aboard! Just another benefit of this board, which is where I met Brian and we've shared and helped each other with considerable amounts of organ music, both privately and here. :D

- G
I think a proper advert in the Music Publishers' thread is (additionally) called for!
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin

Nesbitt - Idylls of Iona Op.16.pdf
Nesbitt - From Hebrid Seas Op.14.pdf
This is for Jim and all you other Nesbitt fans. It would appear indeed that Purcell J. Mansfield was responsible for the arrangements even though he only got a mention on one of the transcriptions, such is the fate of a transcriber!
Fine music hopefully now being played for a change (even by me)
Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:
Nesbitt - Idylls of Iona Op.16.pdf
Nesbitt - From Hebrid Seas Op.14.pdf
This is for Jim and all you other Nesbitt fans. It would appear indeed that Purcell J. Mansfield was responsible for the arrangements even though he only got a mention on one of the transcriptions, such is the fate of a transcriber!
Fine music hopefully now being played for a change (even by me)
Brian
Excellent!