Philharmonia Chorus Concerts

What's on, when and where
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes

Philharmonia Chorus Concerts

Post by rob »

ClassicFM
Next Thursday, 24th September 2009, I have the dubious delight of appearing at the Royal Albert Hall. I quote from the ClassicFM website: http://www.classicfm.co.uk/events/class ... mber-2009/

"On Thursday 24 September, Simon Bates will take to the stage at the Royal Albert Hall to introduce another sensational Classic FM Live, in association with Grants Whisky. As always, our concert is in aid of Music Makers, Classic FM's official charity.

This concert is now sold out. However, you can listen to the concert in full when it's broadcast on Wednesday 30th September at 9pm as part of the Full Works concerts.

We are excited to announce that the world-famous Regimental Band of the Coldstream Guards will be joining us as special guests on stage at Classic FM Live. The nation's oldest-serving military band, who have an impressive 112-year history, have just signed a £1million recording contract to become the world's oldest continual surviving recording artist.

They join the Guinness World Record holders, The Priests , and violinist Sarah Chang , who will be performing the Bruch Violin Concerto. Inspired by his recent conducting experience, our very own Alex James will be making his Classic FM Live debut as guest conductor for Khachaturian's 'Adagio for Spartacus and Phrygia'.

Classic FM are also proud to welcome to the Royal Albert Hall our Orchestra in the North East, Northern Sinfonia conducted by Jonathan Schiffman. They will be joined by the Philharmonia Chorus performing some Classic FM favourites and a sensational finalé."

My friends will know I am a terrible snob, but it is quite fun singing extremely loudly for a change - 'O Fortuna' from Carl Orff's monster child, and Tchaikovsky's 1812, the short vocal passage is hilarious to sing, and we sound magnificent in Russian having done Rach's Vespers earlier this year!!!
rob
Pianomaniac

Re: Philharmonia Chorus Concerts

Post by rob »

MERLIN
Not a concert this time, but just a few weeks ago I was involved in recording incidental music for the BBC's second series of the TV show Merlin - the series starts next Saturday, a prime time BBC1 TV slot at 6.40pm: http://www.bbc.co.uk/merlin/ I'm a second bass, so whatever you hear in and below the bass clef is what I was singing! I even suggested a few bottom c sharps that the composer hadn't thought of, and which he accepted with glee!

I'm trying to get the chorus to commission the composer (Rob Lane) to piece together a symphonic poem for eight-part a capella chorus using his plentiful material from the series. So watch this space.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

rob wrote:"On Thursday 24 September, Simon Bates will take to the stage at the Royal Albert Hall to introduce another sensational Classic FM Live, in association with Grants Whisky."
Given this association, do you sing better after or during the concert?

Regards
Fred
rob
Pianomaniac

Post by rob »

fredbucket wrote:
rob wrote:"On Thursday 24 September, Simon Bates will take to the stage at the Royal Albert Hall to introduce another sensational Classic FM Live, in association with Grants Whisky."
Given this association, do you sing better after or during the concert?

Regards
Fred
They should hand out free samples!!! Mind you, my favourite tipple is cognac or armagnac, but I can only ever afford cooking brandy! (hic!)
rob
Pianomaniac

Post by rob »

The sell-out ClassicFM concert at the Royal Albert Hall (referred to above) happened last night. It was extraordinarily replete with fireworks, cannon and special lighting effects. Relentlessly middle-brow we had a standing ovation at the end. Apparently the Managing Director of Classic FM was delighted with the Philharmonia Chorus's contribution (as he should be - we really are very very good ;) ).

The concert will be broadcast on Classic FM on Wednesday 30 September at 9pm. And it will then also be available for seven days on http://www.classicfm.com/listenagain . It was a lot of fun even if the repertoire was not at all taxing (we had just two rehearsals), and it really is nice to see a full and very enthusiastic audience for a change.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

rob wrote:It was a lot of fun even if the repertoire was not at all taxing (we had just two rehearsals), and it really is nice to see a full and very enthusiastic audience for a change.
Given your whisky sponsor I'm not surprised. I'm pleased it went off well for you, bassically speaking.

Regards
Fred
rob
Pianomaniac

Post by rob »

Next up on Saturday 24 October 2009 at 7:30pm: Carmina Burana at the Royal Albert Hall with Saint-Saens Third Symphony (actually his fifth), the so called Organ Symphony, and a snippet of Berlioz.

http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/ ... fault.aspx

The Saint-Saens might be good though... ;)
fredbucket
Site Admin

Post by fredbucket »

rob wrote:The Saint-Saens might be good though... ;)
As long as the organist presses the accelerator pedal flat to the floor...
rob
Pianomaniac

Post by rob »

rob wrote:Next up on Saturday 24 October 2009 at 7:30pm: Carmina Burana at the Royal Albert Hall with Saint-Saens Third Symphony (actually his fifth), the so called Organ Symphony, and a snippet of Berlioz.

The Saint-Saens might be good though... ;)
Just bumping my little concert next Saturday. I was sick of Carmina Burana BEFORE the rehearsals, and already I never want to hear it again in the rest of my life! Still, I suppose next Saturday I don't have to LISTEN to it, just sing it - and watch the conductor! The Saint-Saens at least will be good.
rob
Pianomaniac

Post by rob »

For those that like this sort of thing - I don't (*sniffs the air snootily*) - then these may be of interest. Of course they may already be sold out; they usually do - we're very very good you know!!!!

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/find/m ... tmas-46875
The Berlioz is quite lovely, but the highlight for me is the John Gardner 'Tomorrow Shall be my Dancing Day' which is very clever but a complete sod to count and get right.

http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/ ... arols.aspx
Much the same prog as the RFH above. Bigger, more difficult acoustic @ the RAH.

Slightly more 'up-market' this one, although the less said about the John Rutter Gloria the better - spot the quote is the game we play - it's watered-down Walton, borrowed Britten and mashed-up Mathias. Mostly effectively written, it's probably a crowd pleaser, but there are so many better works out there. Rutter sells too well when better composers barely make a living.