Kanazawa

Why can't anyone get it right?
player
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Kanazawa

Post by player »

Does anyone own or have any information about LPs made by Osamu Kanazawa in 1990? I think there were 4 in a series entitled "Decouvertes de la musique de piano du 19e siecle" and covered Rubinstein, Cui and (the ones I'm particularly interested in) Ravina and Silas.

Ravina is volume 1 and contains opp 4, 33, 48, 51, 61, 62, 76, 80, 95 and 100

Silas is volume 3 and contains Amarante, Prelude and impromptu op37, Florida Caprice op47, Barcarolle op54, Idylle op63, Malvina op75, Gavotte, Minuet and Jig op100 and le pas des Roses.

Two items from the Silas volume are on youtube and I think I've just seen some Ravina performances by the man on youtube.
Does anyone know if these LPs have ever been transferred to CD? To my current knowledge they are the only recordings devoted entirely to these two composers' piano works and let's face it, neither composer has appeared much. Hough and Loesser play one of the Ravina Etudes and the only other Silas I can find is his Tokio march on the BIS Japonism CD.

Any info gratefully received,
Rob
alpha

Re: Kanazawa

Post by alpha »

You may have better luck if you search for information under his former name, Osamu Nakamura. He is best known for his series of Alkan recordings for Epic/Sony for the Japanese market around 1990.
player
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Re: Kanazawa

Post by player »

Thanks for that. I'd seen that name and then when I found him on youtube playing Ravina etudes I assumed I'd got the name wrong or it was a double name (Osamu Nakamura-Kanazawa). Twenty years later it seems his technique may have suffered - his performances of several of the Ravina op1 Etudes are full of mistakes and he does appear to be struggling.