Viola concerti

Large instrumental groups with or without piano
FW190
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Viola concerti

Post by FW190 »

Mr. Tchaik., I really love such riddles, as I used to play them with my father when I was a little boy (mostly I lost to him).

At about minute 7:00 a piano piece is heard, this is - I think - Bartok's Sonata (Sz80). But I assume your question refers to the piece in the credits and there I have to say: Unf. no clue.
In Bach we trust.
MrTchaikovsky

Post by MrTchaikovsky »

Thanks for your interest. Yes, the piece around the seven minute mark is indeed taken from the second movement of Bartók's piano sonata, but, as you already pointed out, I am concerned with the opening and closing music, which I do believe are both taken from the same work. Oh well, patience is a virtue; perhaps someone else might be able to help us out, although this is a really tough nut to crack. Cheers!
Und sollte ich vergessen haben, jemanden zu beschimpfen, dann bitte ich um Verzeihung! - Brahms
FW190
Pianomaniac

Post by FW190 »

Apart from the fact that any solution to a riddle is interesting, this mysterious piece also sounds very promising. If you find the solution to the riddle outside PiPhi, I would be happy if you post the answer here.
In Bach we trust.
MrTchaikovsky

Post by MrTchaikovsky »

I just left a comment under the video identifying the pieces I recognise. If I ever find out which piece this is, I will fill in the blanks in that comment and naturally leave a reply on Pianophilia as well; it would be rude not to do so.
Und sollte ich vergessen haben, jemanden zu beschimpfen, dann bitte ich um Verzeihung! - Brahms
FW190
Pianomaniac

Post by FW190 »

Two more for your list on youtube (Sorry for the roundabout way, but I never write there ...):

- 08:53 Jean Rivier; Symphonie No.3, Move1 Allegro
- 12:20 Darius Milhaud; a snipet from "Carnaval d'Aix" in the version for Pno+Orch (op.083b)
Both pieces are on youtube.

Remains the mysterious piece for viola and orchestra.
In Bach we trust.
MrTchaikovsky

Post by MrTchaikovsky »

Thank you very much. Since I am not a friend Milhaud's output, to put it politely, I am not well acquainted with his more obscure works, whereas Rivier was unknown to me entirely. I shall investigate Rivier's work further, as the symphony I've just listened to was a very attractive piece.
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by bingo »

MrTchaikovsky wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:03 pm Hello everyone,
I was asked to identify a piece of music, but was unable to do so. Perhaps someone here can help me.
A snippet of the work in question can be heard at the beginning and the end of the following documentary:
From 1:10, Ionisation by Edgard Varese (identified by Shazam)

Postscript: A day after posting this, I was watching a documentary on Frank Zappa where he referenced this exact piece as a stimulus for his own compositional style.