John Field

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

John Field

Post by fredbucket »

This edition of the 18 Field Nocturnes
field - nocturnes for piano.pdf
is fresh off Sibley and I thought it was important enough to post here even though under most circumstances we would only post the link (Sibley's file names are horrible!)

Most of this has been circulating for a while, but this is a better scan and also includes quite a bit of documentation. This is the basis for the Schirmer edition of Field's Nocturnes (even to the extent of having the Midi Rondo as #12) which of course is still in print (even if it was copyrighted in 1895)

Regards
Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kh0815

Re: John Field

Post by kh0815 »

Thanks, Fred, for opening this thread. It's a really high quality score, especially interesting the long "Illustrations" of Franz Liszt himself!
ilu
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by ilu »

According to most Field's list of works, H28 corresponds to the Piano Concerto No. 4 in E flat major (1814, revised 1819), and H 28 Rondo from Piano Concerto No. 4 in E flat major.

However, there is a Siciliano under same number.

Here it is for the experts and, if it is possible, to clarify this apparent confusion.

ILU
Field-John- Siciliano H28.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quo melius Illac
passthesalt
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by passthesalt »

I saw these field Nocturnes on Sibley today myself and was impressed - finally, the actual Schuberth edition surfaces. A long time ago, I put in a request to Sibley that they scan a Field Nocturnes score edited by Liszt that was in one of their special collections, hoping that it was the duet version. Don't know if this is that score - it would be way cool if they had the Schuberth Liszt duet edition of the Nocturnes also. The only score of Nocturne duets I could find (after a long, long search) was a sketchy xerox that I posted back in February on the old PP. The link should still be active.
isokani
Pianophiliac

Post by isokani »

Does anyone have any idea which of the Field concertos is featured in a 19thC Russian novel (possibly War and Peace)?
I think it is the second. Imslp has a scan of a piano solo version of the first movement: does anyone have a complete version (i.e. 2-piano or full score) of this piece? And can someone recommend any of the others? I will play one next year.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

isokani wrote:Does anyone have a complete version (i.e. 2-piano or full score) of this piece? And can someone recommend any of the others? I will play one next year.
The 1st & 2nd have been recorded the most I think. Wrt scores, there aren't any others floating around to my knowledge, but I do know that Frank Merrick edited the first three (in full score) for Musica Britannica, which you should be able to get from a library somewhere without too much trouble.

There is a 2H version of the 3rd movement of No2, which was issued in 1996 and is therefore still in copyright.

Regards
Fred
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

The CPS has the 2nd in full score (somewhere), so I will stick it on me scanning pile.

There is a good argument that the 2nd should really be the 3rd and the 3rd should be numbered the 2nd as this would make more sense artistically. The 1st is pure Clementi and the 3rd not too much different. The 2nd is pure romanticism (in my uneducated opinion).

If I were to play just one Field concerto (which i cannot), it would be the 2nd.

Thal

PS, I think Spada may also hae published some Field Concerti, but you would need to be Bill Gates to afford anything from them.
passthesalt
Pianophiliac

Post by passthesalt »

isokani wrote:Does anyone have any idea which of the Field concertos is featured in a 19thC Russian novel (possibly War and Peace)?
I think it is the second. Imslp has a scan of a piano solo version of the first movement: does anyone have a complete version (i.e. 2-piano or full score) of this piece? And can someone recommend any of the others? I will play one next year.
Here's the full score to movements II and III of Field's 2nd concerto.
field 2nd concerto 3rd movement moderato innocente.PDF
field 2nd concerto 2nd mvt poco adagio.PDF
isokani
Pianophiliac

Post by isokani »

Thanks for these extra movements -- still looking for a score of the first mvmnt. It looks like this might be the one I choose!
All best
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

I have located the said concerto in CPS archives and scanned it. Very large and heavy book and the pdf has come out very large as well, so I have uploaded to my rapidshare account.

http://rapidshare.com/files/399045417/F ... certo_2.7z

Two of the pages have corrupted, so I have enclosed the original scans of pages 53 & 105 and would be obliged if some clever sod could correct my shoddy work by splicing in the offending pages and posting a corrected and preferably smaller pdf.

Luv

Thal