Sports music

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
porilo

Sports music

Post by porilo »

Hi! I thought it would be interesting to have a thread about piano music which relate to sports, as next year the Olympic Games will be in London. Perhaps members would like to share suggestions, or even post, piano scores with a sports theme? I know of course Satie's "Sports et divertissements", and also a very rare piece by Petersson-Berger called "Lawn Tennis" and then there's the fantastic "Football" from the Russian River by Shostakovich. Are there any others which members could share? Any genre is welcome. Classical, modern, novelty, ragtime, salon, anything at all. The more varied, the better! :D
pianojay
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Sports music

Post by pianojay »

porilo wrote:Hi! I thought it would be interesting to have a thread about piano music which relate to sports, as next year the Olympic Games will be in London. Perhaps members would like to share suggestions, or even post, piano scores with a sports theme? I know of course Satie's "Sports et divertissements", and also a very rare piece by Petersson-Berger called "Lawn Tennis" and then there's the fantastic "Football" from the Russian River by Shostakovich. Are there any others which members could share? Any genre is welcome. Classical, modern, novelty, ragtime, salon, anything at all. The more varied, the better! :D
Well, there's Debussy's "Jeux", which is, of course, a tennis match; and Waldteufel's "Skater's Waltz"; and Thomas Ades "Catch"; in Bizet's "Jeux d'Enfants", there is the "Leapfrog" movement; and not to forget William Schuman's baseball opera "The Mighty Casey" and baseball cantata "Casey at the Bat". First thoughts.
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40
Music Scores: Yes

Post by Timtin »

For those whose definition of 'sport' is quite wide, what about
all the theme tunes on TV sports programmes (e.g. Handel's
Zadok the Priest for the UEFA Champions' League), as well as such
fare as Bliss's Checkmate, Ravel's Bolero, and Weber's Der Freischutz
(for intellectual, intimate, and murderous sporting pursuits respectively)?
Here are some more ideas from Philip Scowcroft:-
http://www.musicweb-international.com/c ... _Music.htm
porilo

Post by porilo »

Thanks for all the suggestions. There are some very interesting ones which I hadn't thought of or even heard of before, although I am particularly interested in pieces for solo piano music rather than orchestra. Any other ideas or suggestions would be most welcome. :D