Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
ilu
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by ilu »

Malcolm:
Thank you very much, Iordansky's compositions are always very nice.
Quo melius Illac
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Nikolai Rakov (1908-1990). We've had a range of works by Rakov shared on Pianophilia across the years. Think his Four Lyrical Pieces and Two Mari Pieces have been shared previously but this is a very clean, well scanned copy. And this is the first time I have seen his work 'School Year' in one complete album ( a number of these pieces have appeared in various anthologies across the years).

Malcolm

Rakov N - Four Lyrical Pieces & Two Mari Pieces (1935-36 State Publ. 1942).pdf

Rakov N - 'School Year' Selection of Pieces for Children (Soviet Composer 1986).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by bingo »

Has anyone got a complete copy of the Korganov (Karganoff) score "Souvenir de Borjom" ?

https://imslp.org/wiki/Souvenir_de_Borj ... 2C_Genary)

The IMSLP copy is marked as incomplete - I would guess a final page to conclude the CODA. The structure of the piece is a little bit convoluted as set out with the voltas marked as a series of "DC sin fine et poi [2][3] ..."

Playback of extant score here: https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/6767463
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

bingo wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:51 am Has anyone got a complete copy of the Korganov (Karganoff) score "Souvenir de Borjom" ?

https://imslp.org/wiki/Souvenir_de_Borj ... 2C_Genary)

The IMSLP copy is marked as incomplete - I would guess a final page to conclude the CODA. The structure of the piece is a little bit convoluted as set out with the voltas marked as a series of "DC sin fine et poi [2][3] ..."

Playback of extant score here: https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/6767463
I'm also looking for a better version of Korganov's Op.9 Scherzo No.2 which has a horrendous scan on IMSLP.

I've picked my way through it to produce a cleaner version at https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/6772403 however it needs some fresh eyes on it. While Korganov does repeat passages frequently in his scores - so theoretically you can work from clearer sections - he almost always subtly varies dynamics, articulations and some harmonies in the "repeats".
FW190
Pianomaniac

Post by FW190 »

[...]
I'm also looking for a better version of Korganov's Op.9 Scherzo No.2 which has a horrendous scan on IMSLP.
[...]
Here you go:
Karganov,G.-.op.09.-.Scherzo-No.2-(pno-Rahter-Edition).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In Bach we trust.
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

FW190 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:37 pm [...]
[...]
Here you go:
Karganov,G.-.op.09.-.Scherzo-No.2-(pno-Rahter-Edition).pdf
Thank you so much. It's immeasurably easier to read!
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Yuri Mikhailovich Slonov. Born 1906, Moscow : died 1981, same. Soviet composer, and noted song writer.

Studied at the Moscow Conservatoire with Aleksandrov, and where he graduated in 1936. From 1925-30, was film illustrator at the club ‘Profintern’ in Moscow and from 1930-40 was head of the music department of the Moscow, Youth Theatre. Served during World War II, along with other Moscow composers, he voluntarily joined the Navy, and served the whole war in the Black Sea Fleet, where he participated in the defense of Sevastopol. He was awarded the Order of the Red Star in 1943.

Tended towards lighter music – dances, tangos, foxtrots, cinema and theatre music, plus was a noted song writer (including a number of songs about the Navy). Some of these became very popular.

Malcolm

Slonov Y - Waltzes (Soviet Composer 1969).pdf
Waltzes (Soviet Composer 1969)
1. Festive Waltz in F major
2. ‘Great’ Waltz in D major
3. ‘A Spring Evening’ Waltz in G major
4. Slow Waltz in Eb major from the cycle ‘Hawaiian Waltzes’
5. ‘Lights of Sevastopol’ Waltz in C minor
6. ‘Do not be Sad’ Waltz in F minor
7. Waltz-Impromptu in C# minor (

Slonov Y - 'For you, Friends' Pieces and Dance Music (Soviet Composer 1973).pdf
'For you, Friends' Original Pieces, Transcriptions and Dance Music (Soviet Composer 1973)
1. Overture to the operetta ‘Love and Sport’
2. ‘Just a meeting’ Boris's romance from the operetta ‘Love and Sport’
3. Autumn waltz
4. Romance ‘The wave is rustling, the string is ringing’
5. Blues Romance ‘Forest Night’
6. Waltz from the Suite for Ukulele & Piano
7. Old Romance from the operetta ‘Lieutenant Lavrovsky’
8. Lyric Polka
9. Evening Song from the ‘Theatre Suite’
10. Tango ‘I am waiting for you’
11. Slow Waltz ‘I'm sad’
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

Some of these waltzes are gorgeous.

Slonov,Y - Waltzes (1979) (title translations embedded)
SLONOV Waltzes [Вальсы] 1979.pdf
Slonov, Y - Pieces for Children (Soviet Composer 1960)
SLONOV Pieces for Children (Soviet Composer 1960).pdf
Gamma has recorded some on his Youtube channel.
I have also uploaded some to Musescore: https://musescore.com/artist/yuri_slonov-273468
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

Genary KORGANOV (also KARGANOV, KARGANOFF, and KORGANIAN) (1858-1890)

I have now transcribed all his solo piano works to digital format, apart from one "Vagues d'Arax" (listed but not uploaded on IMSLP)
https://musescore.com/artist/genary_korganov-13046

AFAICT most of them have never been recorded,despite some being popular teaching pieces. Hopefully this might stimulate someone to attempt this via Naxos' Grand Piano, or the Toccata Classics labels. Some of the suites were not well engraved/edited: one gets the sense that the latter pieces in were rather rushed as note lengths were confused and note-dotting became a bit haphazard!

Any noticeable errors, formatting hiccoughs or revised tempo suggestions : please PM me so I can correct the source files. There's about 250pp all up, so I'm sure I've missed something!
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Fantastic - many thanks bingo - an excellent typeset edition of Karganov's works.

Malcolm