Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
ivesman19
Participant
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: No

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by ivesman19 »

Balakirev Piano Sonata in B-Flat minor, Op.3.

Hello all, I'm trying to locate the sheet music for the above cited sonata (so-called "Grande Sonate). Attached is a recording of the rather catchy finale, which can be heard in this Naxos recording: https://youtu.be/aLahZRogZ6A

The maddening part is that there are already two piano sonatas in B-flat Minor by Balakirev on IMSLP (one listed as Op.5, and the other called Sonata 2), both in B-flat minor, but neither are the same b-flat minor piano sonata in the recording. So it's obvious that the sonata exists -- indeed in several movements -- and you would think the score would be in public domain, considering how long ago it was composed.

Any help, or clarification would be of great help!
danielmacmac
Participant
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Post by danielmacmac »

mballan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:12 pm Re. Gozenpud- Piano Sonata No. 4 - I have searched all the major Russian and Ukrainian libraries, and no copies of the 4th sonata could be located. This would strongly suggest it remains in manuscript.

Malcolm
Thanks Malcom, when I gather more research I will try to see if the manuscript is preserved at an institute in Ukraine. Would be amazing to take a look!

Side note, where can I buy your book?

Daniel
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

danielmacmac wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:29 pm
mballan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:12 pm Re. Gozenpud- Piano Sonata No. 4 - I have searched all the major Russian and Ukrainian libraries, and no copies of the 4th sonata could be located. This would strongly suggest it remains in manuscript.

Malcolm
Thanks Malcom, when I gather more research I will try to see if the manuscript is preserved at an institute in Ukraine. Would be amazing to take a look!

Side note, where can I buy your book?

Daniel
Hi Daniel

That would be great - I have friends in Ukraine, so will ask them if they know if there is a Gozenpud museum . archive.

Its only available online - I usually update the copy on Pianophilia a couple of time a year - and you're welcomed to download a copy (there are 5 volumes). I know the University of London had a copy and have seen versions of it appear on various websites, but those tend to be older editions (It's one of those never ending projects, as add to it on a weekly basis). The Pianophilia version will always be the latest version I have (currently December 2020). Always feel free to personal message me or send an email if you have any questions or requests.

Malcolm
isokani
Pianophiliac

Post by isokani »

If someone wants to register, there are lots more Gozenpud pieces here:
https://classic-online.ru/ru/composer/Gozenpud/33861

I think the date of the 4th Sonata (1947) offers a clue to its non-publication, as during the resolution of 1948 Gozenpud was criticised for formalism. Given that he ended his days in Novosibirsk, I wonder if some mss are to be found there. Also, his brother Abram died as recently as 2004, and was a musicologist (https://biblioclub.ru/index.php?page=au ... &id=135774). I wonder if mss were given to him? He lived in St Petersburg.
danielmacmac
Participant

Post by danielmacmac »

I've subscribe to https://classic-online.ru/ I'll let you all know how the information and scores are!
dhruvapunde

Post by dhruvapunde »

ivesman19 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:44 pm Balakirev Piano Sonata in B-Flat minor, Op.3.

Hello all, I'm trying to locate the sheet music for the above cited sonata (so-called "Grande Sonate). Attached is a recording of the rather catchy finale, which can be heard in this Naxos recording:

The maddening part is that there are already two piano sonatas in B-flat Minor by Balakirev on IMSLP (one listed as Op.5, and the other called Sonata 2), both in B-flat minor, but neither are the same b-flat minor piano sonata in the recording. So it's obvious that the sonata exists -- indeed in several movements -- and you would think the score would be in public domain, considering how long ago it was composed.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/213851862.pdf from this article,

The first one was never published and it is left as a manuscript. Therefore, the
accessibility to the actual score is very limited. However, the Grove dictionary and many editions
discuss the manuscript of this sonata in the editorial comments. The Grove dictionary refers to
this sonata as an early “Bol’shaya sonata, op. 3” (Grand Sonata). However, one should be
cautious about this opus number, since Balakirev’s Octet, written in 1855-56, was published in
Moscow in 1959 with the title of Octet, op. 3.
More detailed information about this sonata can be found in the editorial comment in
Polnoe Sobranie Sochineniĭ Dli͡a Fortepiano, edited by K. Sorokin.
6 It indicates that a draft sketch
manuscript of the previous youth sonata was preserved as four completed parts and a draft of the
fifth part with a fugue epilogue.
Kind Regards, Dhruva

my score videos - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGN3RVAodiogEyT4PSwIavg
ivesman19
Participant
Music Scores: No

Post by ivesman19 »

dhruvapunde wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:03 am
ivesman19 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:44 pm Balakirev Piano Sonata in B-Flat minor, Op.3.

Hello all, I'm trying to locate the sheet music for the above cited sonata (so-called "Grande Sonate). Attached is a recording of the rather catchy finale, which can be heard in this Naxos recording:

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/213851862.pdf from this article,

The first one was never published and it is left as a manuscript. Therefore, the
accessibility to the actual score is very limited. However, the Grove dictionary and many editions
discuss the manuscript of this sonata in the editorial comments. The Grove dictionary refers to
this sonata as an early “Bol’shaya sonata, op. 3” (Grand Sonata). However, one should be
cautious about this opus number, since Balakirev’s Octet, written in 1855-56, was published in
Moscow in 1959 with the title of Octet, op. 3.
More detailed information about this sonata can be found in the editorial comment in
Polnoe Sobranie Sochineniĭ Dli͡a Fortepiano, edited by K. Sorokin.
6 It indicates that a draft sketch
manuscript of the previous youth sonata was preserved as four completed parts and a draft of the
fifth part with a fugue epilogue.
Wow, what a wonderful mess Balakirev left for us fans of his work. I was wondering why I kept getting suggestions for his Octet, but the shared opus number clears that up. I'm grateful for the help.
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

caostotale wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:20 pm Pop-Concert Pieces by Soviet Composers, for piano (1986)

Dmitry Dmitryevich SHOSTAKOVICH - Romance, from the movie 'The Gadfly', op. 97 (1955)
Aram Ilich KHACHATURYAN (KHACHATURIAN) (Armenia) - Egyptian Dancer, from the ballet 'Spartacus' (1950-54)
Sulkhan Fyodorovich TSINTSADZE (Georgia) - Pieces (5), from 'Folk Themes for String Quartet'; 1. The Shepherd (Dance), 2. Suliko (Georgian Folk Song), 3. Sachidao, 4. Tsitsinatela (Firefly) (Georgian Folk Song), 5. My Wife Became Proud (Georgian Comic Folk Song)
Anatoly Yakovlevich LEPIN (Latvia) - Gypsy Rhapsody
Nikita Vladimirovich BOGOSLOVSKY - Rhapsody, on themes from the movies
Mikhail Grigoryevich BURSHTIN (Kyrgyzstan) - 'Venceremos!', rhapsody-ballade in memory of Victor Hari on revolutionary songs from Chile
Alexandra Nikolayevna PAKHMUTOVA - Song ('My Beloved')
Alexandra Nikolayevna PAKHMUTOVA - Melody

save for the works by Lepin, Bogoslovsky, and Burshtin, the entire volume was arranged by M. Sagradov

Pop-Concert Pieces by Soviet Composers, for piano (1986).pdf(nms)
Joining some dots on these. The arrangements are by M. Sagradova who has another concert arrangement collection listed on this site. Some of Sagradova's arrangements are performed on the Russian Piano School CD of Natalia Gavrilova, including the Shostakovich Romance (above) and "The Young Lady and the Hooligan - Comic Waltz."
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Olga wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:36 am
Scriabinoff wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:29 am many thanks for the Ukranian piano works link!

I hope folks can perhaps help a little with the translation, I am including a rough 'google-ified' part but welcome revisions for a more accurate table of contents of composers and titles, also there is a name on the inside cover that seems to be an editor but it may be also the arranger as it seems to state 'version by' so perhaps he did all the transcribing and arranging?

Russian - Tango for Piano Russian edition Noty Танго для фортепиано.pdf

редактор-составитель А. Полонский
Russian - Tango for Piano Russian edition Noty Танго для фортепиано.docx
towards the end:
Number number 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19, 21, 22, 23 - Treatment A. Polonsky.
Number number 1, 3, 4, 9, 20 - Transcription A. Polonsky. Number 18-B treatment Lyudvikovsky

not too sure what they mean by the difference in Transcription vs. Treatment? Does that mean the Transcriptions were already in Tango form and Polonsky just set them for piano solo? and The others may or may not have been in piano solo form and Lyudvikovsky simply did the Tango versions and Polonsky just took those and then set to piano? More than a little confusing, but it's a great album. I'm learning the first as a complete play through of the book is a goal of mine at the moment, I have always liked that Babajanian melody.

Bonus points for anyone that can give us the meaning of the handwriting :)
The book was someone's gift. The handwriting says: To dear Olechka on the day of graduation from the music school. May music always sound in your house! May 24, 1984.
Thank you so much !!!! :D
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Olga wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:36 am
Scriabinoff wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:29 am many thanks for the Ukranian piano works link!

I hope folks can perhaps help a little with the translation, I am including a rough 'google-ified' part but welcome revisions for a more accurate table of contents of composers and titles, also there is a name on the inside cover that seems to be an editor but it may be also the arranger as it seems to state 'version by' so perhaps he did all the transcribing and arranging?

Russian - Tango for Piano Russian edition Noty Танго для фортепиано.pdf

редактор-составитель А. Полонский
Russian - Tango for Piano Russian edition Noty Танго для фортепиано.docx
towards the end:
Number number 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19, 21, 22, 23 - Treatment A. Polonsky.
Number number 1, 3, 4, 9, 20 - Transcription A. Polonsky. Number 18-B treatment Lyudvikovsky

not too sure what they mean by the difference in Transcription vs. Treatment? Does that mean the Transcriptions were already in Tango form and Polonsky just set them for piano solo? and The others may or may not have been in piano solo form and Lyudvikovsky simply did the Tango versions and Polonsky just took those and then set to piano? More than a little confusing, but it's a great album. I'm learning the first as a complete play through of the book is a goal of mine at the moment, I have always liked that Babajanian melody.

Bonus points for anyone that can give us the meaning of the handwriting :)
The book was someone's gift. The handwriting says: To dear Olechka on the day of graduation from the music school. May music always sound in your house! May 24, 1984.
Thank you so much !!!! :D