Austrian Composers

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Hobbypianist
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Austrian Composers

Post by Hobbypianist »

I haven't found a proper thread for Hugo Wolf so I hope it's ok to post the works here.

The piano works as published in the volumes 18/1 and 18/2 of the Complete Edition:
(edit 11th Jan.: I wanted to have the complete piano works here so I've posted also vol 18/2 although it has been published recently....!
Being available for ca. 2 weeks I think it's ok if I remove them now, just to be on the safe side.)
Wolf_Albumblatt_WGA_18_1.pdf
Wolf_Aus_der_Kinderzeit_WGA_18_1.pdf
(Wolf_Charakterbilder_Nr.1_Wellenspiel_Fragment_WGA_18_2.pdf)
(Wolf_Charakterbilder_Nr.2_Verlegenheit_Fragment_WGA_18_2.pdf)
Wolf_Humoreske_WGA_18_1.pdf
Wolf_Kanon_WGA_18_1.pdf
(Wolf_Variationen_Fragment_WGA_18_2.pdf)
Wolf_Wagner_Paraphrase_on_Die_Meistersinger_WGA_18_1.pdf
Wolf_Wagner_Paraphrase_on_Die_Walkuere_WGA_18_1.pdf
(Wolf_op.01_Piano_Sonata_Fragment_WGA_18_2.pdf)
Wolf_op.02_Variationen_WGA_18_1.pdf
(Wolf_op.07_Piano_Sonata_Fragment_WGA_18_2.pdf)
Wolf_op.08_Piano_Sonata_Fragment_WGA_18_1.pdf
(Wolf_op.11_Fantasie_Fragment_WGA_18_2.pdf)
(Wolf_op.12_Marsch_4hands_WGA_18_2.pdf)
(Wolf_op.14_Piano_Sonata_Fragment_WGA_18_2.pdf)
Wolf_op.15_Rondo_capriccioso_WGA_18_1.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hobbypianist on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbypianist
Pianophiliac

Re: Austrian Composers

Post by Hobbypianist »

If anyone is interested in the orchestral works let me know.

HP
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

Hobbypianist wrote:If anyone is interested in the orchestral works let me know.

HP
What a silly question! :lol:

I would even be quite happy to have this as a Hugo Wolf thread, although that would involve posting lots of vocal music in what should be the piano forum. That's what happens with single composer threads (Members: we need MORE of those please (ie single composer threads)). Anyway an Austrian thread is a great idea if it leads to lots of Schreker & Franz Schmidt & Zemlinsky etc etc. (Perhaps we should also have an Austrian Vocal Music thread in the Vocal Forum?)

So HP - Yes Please! And thank you for these wonderful rarities.
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

Uray wrote some nice piano works (still in print, Doblinger).
Franz Hasenöhrl?
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
klavierelch
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Recorder

Post by klavierelch »

I totally agree with Rob.

There is such a wealth of Austrian composers besides the well known "heroes" of music history. Unfortunately a lot of these composers will arise copyright issues and Austrian publishers are quite picky concerning these matters.

In case we decide to split the Wolf posts into a Wolf topic of its own, I kick off the Austrian composers' thread with a little scan of a work by Julius Bittner (1874-1939). As you can see from the life dates this score will be out of copyright in 2014, but it is out of print and cannot be obtained any longer by UE, so it should be ok to post here. I was lucky enough to find a copy on Ebay.

Bittner was a lawyer and then worked as a judge and even later at the Ministry of Justice. But at the same time he was a (mainly autodidactical) composer and became one of the best-loved opera composers of his time in Austria. He also was president of the Wiener Tonkünstlerverein.

The scan is a 2H transcription of an Intermezzo from his opera "Die Kohlhaymerin" from 1920.
Bittner Zwischenspiel Der Hofbauer Franz aus der Oper Die Kohlhaymerin 2H.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ars opus est hominis, non opus artis homo.

John Owen, Epigrammata (1615)
WCosand
Pianophiliac

Post by WCosand »

Thanks for the information and interesting scan.
My favorite line about Austrians and their cleverness comes from Daniel Barenboim: Austrians have convinced the whole world that Beethoven was Austrian and Hitler was German.
Hobbypianist
Pianophiliac

Post by Hobbypianist »

klavierelch wrote:I totally agree with Rob.

There is such a wealth of Austrian composers besides the well known "heroes" of music history. Unfortunately a lot of these composers will arise copyright issues and Austrian publishers are quite picky concerning these matters.

In case we decide to split the Wolf posts into a Wolf topic of its own, I kick off the Austrian composers' thread with a little scan of a work by Julius Bittner (1874-1939). As you can see from the life dates this score will be out of copyright in 2014, but it is out of print and cannot be obtained any longer by UE, so it should be ok to post here. I was lucky enough to find a copy on Ebay.

Bittner was a lawyer and then worked as a judge and even later at the Ministry of Justice. But at the same time he was a (mainly autodidactical) composer and became one of the best-loved opera composers of his time in Austria. He also was president of the Wiener Tonkünstlerverein.

The scan is a 2H transcription of an Intermezzo from his opera "Die Kohlhaymerin" from 1920.
Bittner Zwischenspiel Der Hofbauer Franz aus der Oper Die Kohlhaymerin 2H.pdf
Hello klavierelch,
Austria has a 70 year copyright term so Bittner's works actually should be in the public domain from today, 1st Jan. 2010, on.

HP
Ferruccio
Pianophiliac

Post by Ferruccio »

WCosand wrote:Thanks for the information and interesting scan.
My favorite line about Austrians and their cleverness comes from Daniel Barenboim: Austrians have convinced the whole world that Beethoven was Austrian and Hitler was German.

LOL :mrgreen:
Best regards, Ferruccio
klavierelch
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Recorder

Post by klavierelch »

Hobbypianist wrote:
Hello klavierelch,
Austria has a 70 year copyright term so Bittner's works actually should be in the public domain from today, 1st Jan. 2010, on.

HP
You are right. The sylvester day must have temporarily ruined my mathematical abilities :oops:
Ars opus est hominis, non opus artis homo.

John Owen, Epigrammata (1615)
Aggelos
Pianophiliac

Post by Aggelos »

Happy new year!
I'd like to see the following Alfred Grunfeld opuses (2010-1924 = 86, not copyrighted I guess )
# Valse lente Op.17 No 2
# Rococo Op.17 No 3
# Capriccioso Op.28 No1
# Canzonetta Op.28 No2
# Praeludium Op.35 No5