Austrian Composers

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Post Reply
Hobbypianist
Pianophiliac
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:33 pm
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Austrian Composers

Post by Hobbypianist »

I haven't found a proper thread for Hugo Wolf so I hope it's ok to post the works here.

The piano works as published in the volumes 18/1 and 18/2 of the Complete Edition:
(edit 11th Jan.: I wanted to have the complete piano works here so I've posted also vol 18/2 although it has been published recently....!
Being available for ca. 2 weeks I think it's ok if I remove them now, just to be on the safe side.)
Wolf_Albumblatt_WGA_18_1.pdf
Wolf_Aus_der_Kinderzeit_WGA_18_1.pdf
(Wolf_Charakterbilder_Nr.1_Wellenspiel_Fragment_WGA_18_2.pdf)
(Wolf_Charakterbilder_Nr.2_Verlegenheit_Fragment_WGA_18_2.pdf)
Wolf_Humoreske_WGA_18_1.pdf
Wolf_Kanon_WGA_18_1.pdf
(Wolf_Variationen_Fragment_WGA_18_2.pdf)
Wolf_Wagner_Paraphrase_on_Die_Meistersinger_WGA_18_1.pdf
Wolf_Wagner_Paraphrase_on_Die_Walkuere_WGA_18_1.pdf
(Wolf_op.01_Piano_Sonata_Fragment_WGA_18_2.pdf)
Wolf_op.02_Variationen_WGA_18_1.pdf
(Wolf_op.07_Piano_Sonata_Fragment_WGA_18_2.pdf)
Wolf_op.08_Piano_Sonata_Fragment_WGA_18_1.pdf
(Wolf_op.11_Fantasie_Fragment_WGA_18_2.pdf)
(Wolf_op.12_Marsch_4hands_WGA_18_2.pdf)
(Wolf_op.14_Piano_Sonata_Fragment_WGA_18_2.pdf)
Wolf_op.15_Rondo_capriccioso_WGA_18_1.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hobbypianist on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbypianist
Pianophiliac
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:33 pm
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Austrian Composers

Post by Hobbypianist »

If anyone is interested in the orchestral works let me know.

HP
User avatar
rob
Site Admin
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Austrian Composers

Post by rob »

Hobbypianist wrote:If anyone is interested in the orchestral works let me know.

HP
What a silly question! :lol:

I would even be quite happy to have this as a Hugo Wolf thread, although that would involve posting lots of vocal music in what should be the piano forum. That's what happens with single composer threads (Members: we need MORE of those please (ie single composer threads)). Anyway an Austrian thread is a great idea if it leads to lots of Schreker & Franz Schmidt & Zemlinsky etc etc. (Perhaps we should also have an Austrian Vocal Music thread in the Vocal Forum?)

So HP - Yes Please! And thank you for these wonderful rarities.
alfor
Pianodeity
Posts: 3890
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:41 pm
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Austrian Composers

Post by alfor »

Uray wrote some nice piano works (still in print, Doblinger).
Franz Hasenöhrl?
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)


http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
User avatar
klavierelch
Site Admin
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:27 am
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Recorder
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Germany

Re: Austrian Composers

Post by klavierelch »

I totally agree with Rob.

There is such a wealth of Austrian composers besides the well known "heroes" of music history. Unfortunately a lot of these composers will arise copyright issues and Austrian publishers are quite picky concerning these matters.

In case we decide to split the Wolf posts into a Wolf topic of its own, I kick off the Austrian composers' thread with a little scan of a work by Julius Bittner (1874-1939). As you can see from the life dates this score will be out of copyright in 2014, but it is out of print and cannot be obtained any longer by UE, so it should be ok to post here. I was lucky enough to find a copy on Ebay.

Bittner was a lawyer and then worked as a judge and even later at the Ministry of Justice. But at the same time he was a (mainly autodidactical) composer and became one of the best-loved opera composers of his time in Austria. He also was president of the Wiener Tonkünstlerverein.

The scan is a 2H transcription of an Intermezzo from his opera "Die Kohlhaymerin" from 1920.
Bittner Zwischenspiel Der Hofbauer Franz aus der Oper Die Kohlhaymerin 2H.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ars opus est hominis, non opus artis homo.

John Owen, Epigrammata (1615)
WCosand
Pianophiliac
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:01 pm
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Tempe, Arizona USA
Contact:

Re: Austrian Composers

Post by WCosand »

Thanks for the information and interesting scan.
My favorite line about Austrians and their cleverness comes from Daniel Barenboim: Austrians have convinced the whole world that Beethoven was Austrian and Hitler was German.
Hobbypianist
Pianophiliac
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:33 pm
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Austrian Composers

Post by Hobbypianist »

klavierelch wrote:I totally agree with Rob.

There is such a wealth of Austrian composers besides the well known "heroes" of music history. Unfortunately a lot of these composers will arise copyright issues and Austrian publishers are quite picky concerning these matters.

In case we decide to split the Wolf posts into a Wolf topic of its own, I kick off the Austrian composers' thread with a little scan of a work by Julius Bittner (1874-1939). As you can see from the life dates this score will be out of copyright in 2014, but it is out of print and cannot be obtained any longer by UE, so it should be ok to post here. I was lucky enough to find a copy on Ebay.

Bittner was a lawyer and then worked as a judge and even later at the Ministry of Justice. But at the same time he was a (mainly autodidactical) composer and became one of the best-loved opera composers of his time in Austria. He also was president of the Wiener Tonkünstlerverein.

The scan is a 2H transcription of an Intermezzo from his opera "Die Kohlhaymerin" from 1920.
Bittner Zwischenspiel Der Hofbauer Franz aus der Oper Die Kohlhaymerin 2H.pdf
Hello klavierelch,
Austria has a 70 year copyright term so Bittner's works actually should be in the public domain from today, 1st Jan. 2010, on.

HP
User avatar
Ferruccio
Pianophiliac
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:22 pm
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Austrian Composers

Post by Ferruccio »

WCosand wrote:Thanks for the information and interesting scan.
My favorite line about Austrians and their cleverness comes from Daniel Barenboim: Austrians have convinced the whole world that Beethoven was Austrian and Hitler was German.

LOL :mrgreen:
Best regards, Ferruccio
User avatar
klavierelch
Site Admin
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:27 am
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Recorder
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Germany

Re: Austrian Composers

Post by klavierelch »

Hobbypianist wrote:
Hello klavierelch,
Austria has a 70 year copyright term so Bittner's works actually should be in the public domain from today, 1st Jan. 2010, on.

HP
You are right. The sylvester day must have temporarily ruined my mathematical abilities :oops:
Ars opus est hominis, non opus artis homo.

John Owen, Epigrammata (1615)
Aggelos
Pianophiliac
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:42 pm
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Greece

Re: Austrian Composers

Post by Aggelos »

Happy new year!
I'd like to see the following Alfred Grunfeld opuses (2010-1924 = 86, not copyrighted I guess )
# Valse lente Op.17 No 2
# Rococo Op.17 No 3
# Capriccioso Op.28 No1
# Canzonetta Op.28 No2
# Praeludium Op.35 No5
Post Reply