Post by Jean-Séb »

Very kind of you.
blast
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: The Music of Italy

Post by blast »

bingo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:41 am
piano_advocate wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:40 am Hi guys, first post here. I’m looking for the sheet to Pietro Filippo Scarlatti, toccata in g minor.
Found a setting by someone via scorser.com
To eliminate any copyright issues, I've reset it myself.
Pietro Filippo SCARLATTI - Toccata.pdf
Certainly in g minor, but not the toccata played by Luciano Sgrizzi
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by bingo »

blast wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:19 pm
bingo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:41 am
piano_advocate wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:40 am Hi guys, first post here. I’m looking for the sheet to Pietro Filippo Scarlatti, toccata in g minor.
Found a setting by someone via scorser.com
To eliminate any copyright issues, I've reset it myself.
Pietro Filippo SCARLATTI - Toccata.pdf
Certainly in g minor, but not the toccata played by Luciano Sgrizzi
You're correct. However there is an edition at https://www.armelin.it/AMM157Scarlattii.htm that contains the desired Toccata.
ilu
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by ilu »

DE CRESCENZO, Constantine
by Mauro Macedonio - Biographical Dictionary of Italians - Volume 33 (1987)

DE CRESCENZO (Crescenzo, de), Constantine . - He was born in Naples on the 24th of August. 1847 by Gaetano and Luisa Riccardi.

Pianist and composer, he was initiated at a very young age to study music at the S. Pietro a Maiella conservatory, of which S. Mercadante was then director. Here he perfected himself in piano under the guidance of F. Valente and then in composition with C. Conti, also called, the latter, to assist the now blind Mercadante in the direction of the college.

After completing his studies, the D. went in 1868 to Alexandria in Egypt where, albeit for a short time; he took on the role of conductor at the local Zizinia theater. Returning to Naples in 1869, he was able to make himself appreciated by the public of his city by producing in numerous concerts as a pianist and enjoying great success. During one of them, at the Hôtel de la Ville, he was induced by the princess of Galitzine, who had admired his talent, to move to Russia where he went the following year.

In Moscow he remained about eight years; here, comforted by the encouragement and sympathy of Nikolaj Rubinstein, he performed, often together with this one, also receiving the congratulations of Tsar Alexander II. In that same period he alternated his activity as a pianist with that of a teacher of specialization at the imperial college of S. Nicolò and at the Evenius institute. Also in Russia he met his future wife, Catherine Voljensky, with whom he will have numerous children.

Returning to Italy in 1878, not wanting to move away from his old mother, he devoted himself entirely to teaching and composition, commitments which he maintained with great credit until a few days before his death, which took place in Naples on 29 June 1911.

Almost the same age as FP Tosti, the D. is part of that large group of authors, more or less illustrious, who in those years of the turn of the century composed with a particularly lyrical and effusive vein, providing the repertoire to singers like Lina Cavalieri. Many of those pieces represented the link between the late romantic nineteenth-century manner and the more recent Italian-inspired "song". In the middle, the "Neapolitan song", to which D. himself did not neglect to carve out a space within his own production, flourished from the very soil of the great local melodramatic tradition.

We have a testimony of his prolificacy as an author with his many works for piano, "of an easy and melodic genre, very original, of good effect and useful in teaching" (Schmidl). In this purely piano repertoire, we find numerous serenades, romances without words, nocturnes, capricci, barcarole, idylls, divertissements , often with eloquently illustrative titles, such as the famous Prima carzza (of which he also edited a reduction for a small orchestra and a version for piano with four hands), Retour des hirondelles , End of a dream , Gentle butterfly , In the gulf of Naples , Pecché m'o ' ffaje , Desiderio ,Cielo argento , and many others, mostly published in the Ricordi editions, but also in those of Cottrau, Maddaloni, Izzo, Schmidl, Perrone.

There is also a transcription for piano for four hands of the Scherzo d'un Songe d'une nuit d'été by S. Thalberg and various elaborations on themes from Verdi's Aida.

Appreciated also in the vocal genre, the D. wrote numerous romances for voice and piano, with refined and elegant cantability, mirror of a society and an era.

Sources and Bibl .: Obituary in Ars et Labor ( Music and Musicians ), 15 Sept. 1911, p. 721; Il Mattino , 4-5 July 1911; The Catal . of Printed Music in the British Library to 1980 , London 1982, p. 240; C- Schmidl, Diz . univ . of the musicians , I, p. 419; The MacMillan Encyclopedia of Music and Musicians , London 1938, p. 397; E. De Mura, Encicl . of the Neapolitan song , I, Naples 1969, pp. 467, 472.

https://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/co ... ografico)/

attached "the First Caress", nocturne, op. 104-1.
Di Crescenzo Constantin- La primera Caricia. Op. 104-1- ilu.pdf
N.B. There is another edition of this nocturne in Petrucci, my intention to include it is to make their life and work known and, if possible, to contribute with more of their compositions. Thanks.

P.S. The orchestral version sung by Enrico Caruso can be found at
"Petrucci Music Library".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quo melius Illac
Pianoman
Pianophiliac

Post by Pianoman »

I played this piece (with the title "Prima Carezza") when I was a child and, since then, is a special piece (although very simple and basic) for me.
Thanks for the info!

(are you sure it's Op.104? All over the internet says it´s Op.120...)
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Hi Pianoman:

I also played it when I was a child and I found it recently.

You're Right is op. 120-1.

Thanks and regards.

ILU.
Quo melius Illac
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Mario Tarenghi, op. 70 "Pequeñas piezas infantiles".

Enjoy.
Tarenghi Mario-Pequeñas piezas infantiles-op. 70.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quo melius Illac
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Thank you, Ilu.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Jean-Séb:

You are welcome.

Regards.
Quo melius Illac
pcovitz1968

Alessandro Longo

Post by pcovitz1968 »

I just discovered a piano suite by Alessandro Longo (1864-1945) (on a CD by pianist Giuseppe Devestato, Logo Music Production, 2009). I don't typically work on composers who lived that far into the 20th century, but these pieces really struck me. I don't suppose anyone has a score to share? This was Longo’s "Terza suite romantica per pianoforte," Op. 19, but I'd be curious to see his other "romantic suites" as well. Grazzie!
--Phil
ut supra, sic infra