Frédéric Chopin

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Frédéric Chopin

Post by fleubis »

I am surprised at soh choon wee's statement that back in the 70's students would show up with multiple editions! This certainly didn't happen when I went to school in the US. 5he more time I spend here at Pianophilia, the more I realize how poor my education was (and it's still vastly inferior to Europe, IMHO). So I get to spend the remainder of my life getting re-educated.

Yes, as stated before, I greatly enjoy looking at these various editions, including what passes for urtext, but ultimately, I see them as merely adding "tweaks" to what I think is the best performing edition -- and would be Kreuter in my case (for Chopin). It was PWM prior to Alfor's introduction of Kreutzer. (I fear that if the Kreutzer etudes ever appear, I'll have a lot of re-learning to do! :D )
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

To a most faithful Highlander:
Chopin Etudes op.10, 7-9 ed. Kreutzer.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Alfred, this is wonderful!

Op. 10 Nos 7 & 9 are the very first Chopin etudes I ever learned. I'll be making some revisions in how I play those now. What I find particularly enlightening is the pedaling in all 3 of these pieces. For instance, one can obtain a much more crystalline performance of No.8 by following Kreutzer's pedaling. For fingering, I would bet most of us are already playing the right hand of no.8 very much as Kreutzer indicates, but was most intrigued by the LEFT hand suggestions. Anyway, lots to look at here.

Now my trusty PWM edition gets moved to second place.

This post is very welcome here, Alfred. Thank you for finding & posting it.
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

fleubis wrote:Alfred, this is wonderful!

Op. 10 Nos 7 & 9 are the very first Chopin etudes I ever learned. I'll be making some revisions in how I play those now. What I find particularly enlightening is the pedaling in all 3 of these pieces. For instance, one can obtain a much more crystalline performance of No.8 by following Kreutzer's pedaling. For fingering, I would bet most of us are already playing the right hand of no.8 very much as Kreutzer indicates, but was most intrigued by the LEFT hand suggestions. Anyway, lots to look at here.

Now my trusty PWM edition gets moved to second place.

This post is very welcome here, Alfred. Thank you for finding & posting it.
Dear Highlander,

you are most welcome. Your comments are always much appreciated!

alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

I need spiritual payment:

Whenever downloading an alfor file, please hand over to me
(in your imagination) a 10.00 Euro Banknote.

Thank you!

10-euro.jpg
To the Good Guy of the Panamanian Highlands
(no, it's NOT John le Carré's „Taylor of Panama“!):

Chopin Variations op.12 ed. Kreutzer.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alfor on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Thank you, Alfred. I've not often played these Op.12 variations, but this edition presents a fresh opportunity to play through this score. And another nother fine Kreutzer edition it is, too.

While Graham Greene never did write a book about Panama, he certainly did write one about Cuba, "Our Man in Havana". This was turned into a truly outstanding opera by Malcolm Williamson. He was resident at my University while I was there and we performed this opera. While I was studying him I asked him why is solo piano music was so different from his vocal music, but he really didn't have an answer. I have fond memories of Williamson performing his 3rd Piano concerto which is another delightful piece.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Man_in_Havana

Any, I hope other will find the same inspiration in this Kreuter edition that I do.

Thank you, Alfred.
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

fleubis wrote:...While Graham Greene never did write a book about Panama, ...
Sorry, sorry, sorry...I mixed it up (although I did read the novel - in English!):

...The film*** is based on the 1996 spy novel of the same name by John le Carré.

***Refers to the 2001 Irish-American thriller film „The Taylor of Panama“
directed by John Boorman and starring Pierce Brosnan and Geoffrey Rush.

alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

fleubis wrote:...Malcolm Williamson...While I was studying him I asked him why is solo piano music was so different from his vocal music, but he really didn't have an answer...
I think I do own 2 piano scores by M. W., but I could not yet get warm with his music.

fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

alfor wrote:
fleubis wrote:...Malcolm Williamson...While I was studying him I asked him why is solo piano music was so different from his vocal music, but he really didn't have an answer...
I think I do own 2 piano scores by M. W., but I could not yet get warm with his music.
Neither could I--for his solo piano music. His operas, cassations, and piano concertos are quite another matter--rather tonal.

I am unfamiliar with the John le Carré novel, and it looks interesting, so ordered it from Amazon--seems to be in somewhat a similar vein as Green's.
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

Although rarely performed the following piece was
doubly honoured in recent decades:

1) it was „Godowskyfied“
2) it was recorded by Mr. Hor(r)o(r)witz

Chopin Rondo op.16 ed. Kreutzer.pdf
Please remember to give a virtual payment of ten Euros for every download. Thank you!