Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
The Piano Man
Participant
Instruments played, if any: Piano and Organ
Music Scores: Yes

Keyboard/Vocal/Sheet Music Collection

Post by The Piano Man »

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this wonderful forum I just stumbled upon, having just registered this morning! There's quite a lot to become acquainted with, so please move this to the proper topic area because I assume that there is a better place for this.

Regarding the subject of this post, I have studied the piano for the past 14 years of my life, since I began at the age of 4 (so infer my age from this). I started collecting sheet music just over a year ago, and have ammased a collection of at least 1,200 pieces of music pre-1900, mainly from 1840-1880. Ebay naturally has been my friend this past year, and the collecting "bug" began for me in August when I got a collection of about 250 pieces from the 19th century for only about $70! I still am so glad I won that auction to this day.... : :D .

It actually all started with a Liberace music book from 1953 (and a 1956 concert program which came with it), and of course, being an amateur antiquarian, it was just a slippery (but controllable) slope from there.

I will link below the Excel spreadsheet I've been working on for the past several months, attempting to catalogue all the sheet music I have. It is best to open it in Excel if interested, as simply viewing it for some reason causes the font to look like a printer with just not enough ink, and you are also not able to view the notes I have typed in. It is of course incomplete, as I am still constantly purchasing music, and haven't gotten around to cataloguing about 8 or so bound volumes of music c.1850 since March, though I have been working on the small amount of 1900-1930 I have just to get that out of the way.

The first several hundred I was also too unaware to realize that not all of them were composed for the pianoforte (which I make the point of doing later, saying what instrument(s) it is for). Of course, it can probably be inferred most of the time from the title of the music itself. I will admit that about 50% of the music is probably in the Library of Congress already and viewable online, but there are quite a many piece in here which have perhaps never been seen in hundreds of years.

I hope the spreadsheet seems clear. I am looking soon to digitze the music itself using the ForScore app on my IPad, since I am an active pianist, but I am not quite sure if this is the best method. I would absolutely love to hear any suggestions you have as to doing this, since I don't quite know if placing pictures in the Excel spreadsheet will work either.

This forum is exactly what I have been looking for for some time now, and I can't wait to see what else this place has to offer!

The Excel spreadsheet:

Last edited by The Piano Man on Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Keyboard/Vocal/Sheet Music Collection

Post by fredbucket »

Hello Haniel, and welcome to PianoPhilia. We all trust you will, like all of us, have a great time here. If you wish to upload scores please look at our list of threads, and post in the most appropriate one - there are many and they pretty much cover all that is needed.

New scans are always appreciated, but in general we try not to duplicate. Also please be aware of our copyright policy.

Have fun.

Regards
Fred
System Admin