Salon music

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Salon music

Post by Jean-Séb »

Maybe this already known from you, but I have just seen that the Bodleian Library has scanned a lot of salon music scores and they ask for public help for describing the scanned material.
http://www.whats-the-score.org/
FW190
Pianomaniac

Post by FW190 »

Kohinoor, a polka by Oscar Mayo (who?).
So far as I Know Kohinoor (or Koh-i-Noor ~Mountain of Light) is the name of a famous Indian diamond. Stolen in 1850 by the British East India Company the gem is now a part of the British Crown Jewels.
Mayo.-.El-Kohinoor-Polka-(pno-Root-Edition-1871).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In Bach we trust.
Phillip210
Pianophiliac

Re: Carl Bohm

Post by Phillip210 »

Phillip210 wrote:I have very recently posted to IMSLP my scans of four pieces from Bohm's Op. 327:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Salon-Komposition ... ohm,_Carl)
This single opus is a collection of 78 pieces, which - if they are of an average length of 5 pages (conservative estimate), and 3.5 minutes duration (some are longer) would constitute some 400 pages of music taking about 5 hours to perform. As such this must be one of the biggest piano opuses pre-Sorabji.

Alas, even with my four pieces, and the two that were already on IMSLP, that makes only six, and I have never seen any of the other 72 pieces, a list of which is on the IMSLP page. If anyone has any of them (possibly in Bohm albums published by Lengnick) and would like to post them to IMSLP - or anywhere else where they can be found - I should be most grateful. I suspect that the opus number was supplied by Bohm's publisher Simrock and kept open while he supplied works for it over a period of time (the catalogue shown on the back of another work lists these 78 pieces plus a series of blank numbers running to 100!).
Apart from the pieces which members of this forum have kindly added, I note that IMSLP has recently acquired an American Bohm album which, as well as other pieces I had not seen by him, contains one or two more of the Op. 327 set. Maybe my 5 hour Bohm performance marathon is taking a step closer!
musiclife217
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Re: Carl Bohm

Post by musiclife217 »

Phillip210 wrote:
Phillip210 wrote:I have very recently posted to IMSLP my scans of four pieces from Bohm's Op. 327:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Salon-Komposition ... ohm,_Carl)
This single opus is a collection of 78 pieces, which - if they are of an average length of 5 pages (conservative estimate), and 3.5 minutes duration (some are longer) would constitute some 400 pages of music taking about 5 hours to perform. As such this must be one of the biggest piano opuses pre-Sorabji.

Alas, even with my four pieces, and the two that were already on IMSLP, that makes only six, and I have never seen any of the other 72 pieces, a list of which is on the IMSLP page. If anyone has any of them (possibly in Bohm albums published by Lengnick) and would like to post them to IMSLP - or anywhere else where they can be found - I should be most grateful. I suspect that the opus number was supplied by Bohm's publisher Simrock and kept open while he supplied works for it over a period of time (the catalogue shown on the back of another work lists these 78 pieces plus a series of blank numbers running to 100!).
Apart from the pieces which members of this forum have kindly added, I note that IMSLP has recently acquired an American Bohm album which, as well as other pieces I had not seen by him, contains one or two more of the Op. 327 set. Maybe my 5 hour Bohm performance marathon is taking a step closer!
I will see what I can do in this regard. I enjoy this type of music, as well as hearing you play it! :)
musiclife217
Pianomaniac

Post by musiclife217 »

Does anyone have Ravina's - Op.80 - Chant du Moissonneur, Scène pittoresque ?? I can request it, but want to check here first, thanks!
FW190
Pianomaniac

Post by FW190 »

Another Must Play Gem for your collection: The very worst Polka composed by Schlechter als schlecht (~Worse than bad) and published by S. Pearson (NY) in 1850.
Schlechter-als-schlecht.-.The-very-worst-Polka-(pno-Pearson-Edition-1850).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In Bach we trust.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Thank you FW190. On the plus side, it really does sound like a polka. You really have to hand it to this publisher's marketing department. Just think how many copies they sold just on curiosity alone.
musiclife217
Pianomaniac

Post by musiclife217 »

hello all - I am seeking a salon piece by Herman Wenzel - Op. 302 - O Golden Dream of Youth (alternately titled Beau reve de la jeunesse; o schoner, goldner jugendtraum; ungdomsdrommar)...

has anyone seen this or know of its whereabouts? sharing is always appreciated! :)
Phillip210
Pianophiliac

Post by Phillip210 »

musiclife217 wrote:Does anyone have Ravina's - Op.80 - Chant du Moissonneur, Scène pittoresque ?? I can request it, but want to check here first, thanks!
It has just appeared on the BnF Gallica site, so is now available for download!
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Phillip210 wrote:
musiclife217 wrote:Does anyone have Ravina's - Op.80 - Chant du Moissonneur, Scène pittoresque ?? I can request it, but want to check here first, thanks!
It has just appeared on the BnF Gallica site, so is now available for download!
Here's a B&W version of the BNF scans:
Ravina_Chant du moissonneur, Scène pittoresque pour piano, Op.80.pdf