Toccatas

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Toccatas

Post by rob »

Oren

Thank you for being so enthusiastic, but can I gently remind you that where files are available publicly at sites like IMSLP or Sibley, it might be better to post a link rather than the file itself. I've tried to cover this within the guidelines I've posted.

Thanks.
Richard0428

Post by Richard0428 »

A couple more British composers here! The Moeran especially is a great favorite (it's on IMSLP but is currently blocked). While on the subject of fellow Brits, let's not forget the early Toccata by Sorabji, although am I right in saying we're not supposed to put this up here, as the scores are freely available from the Sorabji society?
Moeran R13 Toccata 1921.pdf
Holst - Toccata (piano).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

Richard0428 wrote:...let's not forget the early Toccata by Sorabji, although am I right in saying we're not supposed to put this up here, as the scores are freely available from the Sorabji society?
Freely available perhaps, but not actually free! I'm sure Alistair would provide a price on request when he gets round to rejoining! But in fact there are a number of Sorabji works using the name Toccata:

1920 Toccata (0)
1928 Toccata 1
1929 Toccatinetta sopra CGF
1933-4 Toccata 2
1937-8? Toccata 3, lost
1964-7 Toccata 4
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by oren segev »

Widor toccata (for organ-transcription for piano)
Widor Toccata (piano version) (alt).pdf
Oren
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar

Post by caostotale »

rob wrote:
Richard0428 wrote:...let's not forget the early Toccata by Sorabji, although am I right in saying we're not supposed to put this up here, as the scores are freely available from the Sorabji society?
Freely available perhaps, but not actually free! I'm sure Alistair would provide a price on request when he gets round to rejoining! But in fact there are a number of Sorabji works using the name Toccata
I've seen a few of these works at UPenn, or at least whichever ones have been typeset. The scores are enormous. I couldn't imagine anybody going to the trouble to copy one of those monsters, nor should they, since Alastair's archive is very helpful and punctual in helping people acquire those works.

I haven't made it into NYC in a long while, but I'm very interested in finding a score for the following:

Marcel Mihalovici - Toccata pour piano et orchestre, op. 44

As well, here is a laundry list of toccatas I've mentioned when the topic came up elsewhere on the inter-web:

Arnold Bax - Toccata in Db
Niels Viggo Bentzon - Toccata, op. 10 (1941)
Arthur Honegger - Toccata and Variations (1916)
Alexandre Tansman - Prelude & Toccata (1941), 3rd movement of his 3rd sonata, 3rd movement of his 1st sonatine, 6th movement of the Suite dans le style ancien, and Hommage à Arthur Rubinstein, 2nd movement. As well, lots of movements in his chamber works are toccatas.
Pierre Sancan - Toccata (1943)
Roy Agnew - Toccata Tragica
Eduard Destenay - Toccata in a minor, op. 45
Jean Absil - 5th piece in 5 Bagatelles, op. 27, 4th movement of Grande Suite, op. 62, last section of Variations, op. 93. As with Tansman, a lot of toccata sections show up in his chamber work.
Emma Lou Diemer - Toccata
G. Tsouyopoulos - Toccata III (I haven't heard the other two, if they exist...)
Henk Badings - Toccata for marimba (1973)
Emmy Frensel Wegener - Toccata (1938?)
Edison Denisov - 1st movement of his Sonata for guitar (1981)
Karel Mengelberg - Toccata (written in dedication to Willem Pijper, 1950)
Alun Hoddinott - movements in his 4th Sonata (1968) and 5th sonata (1969), likely other works
William Mathias - Toccata alla danza (1965)
Roy Harris - Toccata (1950)
David Loeb - Toccata for violin and string orchestra (19??)
Tansman - Prelude & Toccata pour piano.pdf
Mod note: I have removed the Bentzon for reasons of copyright. Please do not upload any Bentzon scores. FB
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

caostotale wrote: I haven't made it into NYC in a long while, but I'm very interested in finding a score for the following:

I almost bought this from Di-Arezzo, but decided that $80 was excessive for a pocket score.

Perhaps one could hire it from Alphonse Leduc.

Thal
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by oren segev »

Caototale
Good for the intention
But you just posted The Tansman that was posted on page one of that thread
Best regards
Oren
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar

Post by caostotale »

thalbergmad wrote:
caostotale wrote: I haven't made it into NYC in a long while, but I'm very interested in finding a score for the following:

I almost bought this from Di-Arezzo, but decided that $80 was excessive for a pocket score.

Perhaps one could hire it from Alphonse Leduc.

Thal
It's a Leduc score, so who knows how bloody old it your purchase may have been, even with the up-to-date pricing. I would really feel terribly suckered spending that much money and knowing that they haven't done a single thing to promote that composer's work since he passed away, much like Hansen vis-a-vis our copyrighted Mr. Bentzon.

I think the version that I'm going to pursue at the NYPL is a two-piano arrangement of the work, though it's listed as having 140 pages, which seems high for an 18-minute piece. You'll be amongst the first to know if and when I acquire it.
JovanDi

Post by JovanDi »

Does anyone have Berkovich's Toccata in a minor? I can not find for weeks. Anyone?
Biljana
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Biljana »

Here is Berkovich Toccata ,
Berkovich Toccata.pdf
enjoy
Biljana

:D ;) :D