Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by fhimpsl »

Malc,

Many thanks for the Tcherepnin and Arapov scores! Here are some notes from wiki re. Mikhail von Asantschewsky, a sampling of whose work I would like to post today:

"Mikhail Pavlovich Azanchevsky ( March 24 (April 5) in 1839 , Moscow - 12 (24) January 1881 , ibid) - Russian composer and music teacher. In 1858 retired from the civil service and went to Leipzig , where he began studying music theory with Richter and Hauptmann . For some time he also took private lessons in piano playing from Liszt . While in Paris in 1866 , Azanchevsky acquired a vast collection of music and books about music, owned by GE, Anders. In 1870 he returned to Russia, where he earned a place in the library of the St. Petersburg Conservatory , and a year later became its director (officially - "head"), succeeding Nicholas Zarembo . Unlike its predecessor, Azanchevsky positive attitude toward the new Russian composers of the school. It was he invited to a professorship of practical classes of composition and instrumentation Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov , an important milestone in the history of the conservatory, which soon took a leading position on the preparation of high-composers, performers and singers. In 1876 Azanchevsky because of severe illness was forced to leave his post, giving their free library conservatory. He was also from 1870 to 1876 chairman of the directorate of the St. Petersburg Branch of the Russian Musical Society. He is the author of several works: songs in Russian and German texts, works for piano and chamber ensembles. Buried in the Pokrovsky Monastery."

Here is his Op. 4 "Drei Stucke"
Asantschewsky, M. - 004 - Drei Stucke.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Continuing on Asantschewsky, here is his Op. 11 "Vier Stucke"

Asantschewsky, M. - 011 - Vier Stucke.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Here are the remaining scores I have of Asantschewsky: his Opus 8 "Sechs Stucke" (pieces Nos. 4-6 only; piano 4-hands), and Op. 12 "Fest-Polonaise" (two pianos, 4 hands). Enjoy!

Asantschewsky, M. - 008n.4-6 - Sechs Stucke (4 Hands).pdf
Asantschewsky, M. - 012 - Fest-Polonaise (2P-4H).pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

I had thought this composer would have been a new one to Pianophilia but seems someone beat me with a posting of the Fairytale some time back [with grateful thanks to that scanner as definitely a Russian rarity]. I've reposted the Fairytale [nms] to compliment the posting of the Trois Morceaux from me.

Malcolm

Klimenty Arkad’yevich Korchmaryov. Born 1899, Verkhnedneprovsk [now Dnepropetrovsk district]: died 1958, Moscow. Composer and pianist. Graduated in 1919 from the Odesa Conservatoire after studies in composition and piano [he studied with Biber and Malishevsky]. From 1919 he lived periodically in Turkmenia, where he collected over 200 folksongs and composed the first Turkmenian national ballet ‘The Merry Deceiver’. From 1921-23 he taught at the Dnepropetrovsk Conservatoire and concertized through the area. From 1923 he lived in Moscow. His students include Yorish.

Conte [Fairytale] (1916)
Korchmaryov K - Fairy Tale.pdf
Trois Morceaux (1918 -19) 1. Chanson printaniere 2. Improvisation 3. Clarete
Korchmaryov K - Three Pieces No. 1 Spring Song.pdf
Korchmaryov K - Three Pieces No. 2 Improvisation.pdf
Korchmaryov K - Three Pieces No. 3 Radiance.pdf
Prelude for the Left hand (1922)
Piano Concerto (1924)
“Revolutionary Carnival” Fantastic Variations based on the theme of the French song “Carmagnole” (1924)
Velikaya skorb’ [Great Sorrow] (1926)
Evreiskiy prazdnik [Jewsih Holdiays] (1926)
“The Life and the Conditions of the Peoples of the USSR” Suite (1926)
Three Pieces from the opera “Ivan the Soldier” (1925-27)
1. Coronation Procession of the Tsar
2. Scherzo
3. Procession of the Nobles
American [inspired by the ragtime of Joplin and Roll Morton] (1928)
‘From the exhibition of AKhRR (Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia)’ - Two Pieces
1. Round and about in Neskuchnom’s Garden
2. Kuraishchik [Bashir herdsman]
Alex
Pianophiliac

Post by Alex »

mballan wrote: Hi Jeremy

I do have the full set of Op 28 but I am in the throws of selling my house and much of my music is currently in storage and difficult to access [but I'll check to see if I can locate my Arensky collection]. I can scan this at some stage if not urgent [unless someone else kindly manages to post this score in the meantime]. I will also check with Peter [Mr P] as I may have shared a copy with him.

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm, did you ever manage to locate this score and/or scan it?

Also, does anyone have all three of Arensky's Op. 42 pieces? IMSLP only has the third piece, the Etude. We almost have the complete piano works, yaaay!
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Alex wrote:
mballan wrote: Hi Jeremy

I do have the full set of Op 28 but I am in the throws of selling my house and much of my music is currently in storage and difficult to access [but I'll check to see if I can locate my Arensky collection]. I can scan this at some stage if not urgent [unless someone else kindly manages to post this score in the meantime]. I will also check with Peter [Mr P] as I may have shared a copy with him.

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm, did you ever manage to locate this score and/or scan it?

Also, does anyone have all three of Arensky's Op. 42 pieces? IMSLP only has the third piece, the Etude. We almost have the complete piano works, yaaay!
1. Yes, but modern printing so unable to upload to PP.

2. Yes, but need to scan [will add to pile unless someone beats me to it].

Malcolm
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello,

I do have Op.42, No.2 -(Romance), though strangely I don't have the No.3 - I shall have to visit IMSLP and get it, thanks for the info!

I'll post No.2 anyway ...
NMOS TTOS
Arensky, Anton 1861-1906. Arensky - Romance Op. 42 no.2.pdf
I also have Op.28 pieces 1 & 2 (how many pieces are in the full set? My version doesn't suggest there are more than 2.
I can post this also if wanted.

regards,
tobyjj
Nogbert
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by Nogbert »

Alex wrote: Also, does anyone have all three of Arensky's Op. 42 pieces? IMSLP only has the third piece, the Etude. We almost have the complete piano works, yaaay!
I have Arensky's Op 42 no 1 - no idea whence it came, i.e., NMS TTOS.
Arensky Op 42-1 Prelude.pdf
Jo
remy
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by remy »

tobyjj wrote:Hello,

I also have Op.28 pieces 1 & 2 (how many pieces are in the full set? My version doesn't suggest there are more than 2.

tobyjj
There are six pieces in Op.28 Essais Sur Des Rythmes Oubliés.

jeremy
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello,
Thanks for the info Remy. On closer examination of my "2 pieces" it is now obvious that the pieces have come from different sources and been joined together, with a misleading cover sheet.

The music's alright though!

regards,
tobyjj