bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by bingo »

plehanov39 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:54 pm bingo
I know about more, than 3 sonatinas - i scaned all of them for ale07 site
Please clarify why your response to someone looking for 2 sonatas is "It is not 3 sonatas - it is three sonatinas"
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by mballan »

Any number of Russian and Ukrainian academic sources, state there are 5 sonatinas and 2 piano sonatas. Yes, aware of the five sonatinas as they were published, but could find no record of the sonatas being published. Hence I surmiss they remain in manuscript unless further research suggests otherwise.

The sonatinas can be obtained through the ale07 site as shared by plehanov39........but I have as yet to find the sonatas despite searching all of my usual avenues at this stage. It may be they remain with the Berkovich family (a common practice), or within a specific library or archive in Ukraine.

Malcolm
plehanov39
Participant
Instruments played, if any: Piano, guitar

Post by plehanov39 »

I agree that theoretically the sonatas may be in manuscripts - unfortunately it is completely unknown where they are kept. Because of current military events, it is impossible to come from Moscow (to me as a Russian) to Kiev to get answers to these questions. But I have a friend who studies at a music conservatory in Kiev - he defended his doctoral dissertation on Berkovich and Silvansky. He found no trace of these sonatas (he also suggests that "sonatas" are mistaken for sonatinas). Also, he could not find his heirs - Berkovich had two daughters, and since women take their husband's surname in marriage, it makes it difficult to find heirs.
Also, there are no sonatas in the list of works personally signed by Berkowitz in 1955. I am sure if there were (even in manuscripts) there would be items about it in the inventory

It is also possible that "sonatas" were confused with "suites", since Berkovich wrote exactly two published suites for piano
1 - Hello school
2 - Suite on Belarusian folk themes

Unfortunately, this question remains a mystery for now...
Isabella Li
Participant

Post by Isabella Li »

Thanks everyone for the info the two Sonatas by Berkovich. I appreciate it very much.
Very best,
Isabella
Gamma1734
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Organ, Flute, Violin, Accordion

Post by Gamma1734 »

Dunaevsky's Sentimental Waltz
Dunaevsky I - Sentimental Waltz.pdf
(Here's my recording of it)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Wonderful, many thanks Gamma1734 for the Dunaevsky, really appreciated. Quite a lovely piece and beautifully recorded.

Malcolm
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by bingo »

mballan wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:19 pm Almost at the end of this exploration of Kazakh composers, next we have Vladimir Efimovich Zavgorodny. Dates unknown. Composer and teacher for 46 years.

Studied at the Karaganda Music School in 1964 (correspondence dept.). Joined the Abaya Children’s Music School in 1965. Was the founder in the mid 1970’s of a Club of Young Musicians (KTUM) where the most gifted students could show their compositional skills.

Since 1975, member of the Union of Amateur Composer of the Karaganda region.

A new composer to me, and it seems this chap was a self-taught composer in the main, although the schools he was associated with, seem to sing his praises as a teacher. Heard the Elegy on YouTube........which I recommend.

Malcolm

Zavgorodny V - Adagio.pdf
Zavgorodny V - Busy Month.pdf
Zavgorodny V - Elegy.pdf
Zavgorodny V - Gnomes.pdf
Zavgorodny V - It is Kalamkas.pdf
Zavgorodny V - My Motherland.pdf
Zavgorodny V - Nocturne in Db major.pdf
Zavgorodny V - 'Remember' Poem in 4 movements No. 1 Alarm.pdf
Zavgorodny V - Round Dance.pdf
Zavgorodny V - Snowflake.pdf
I found a reference https://onmcdint.kz/narodnyj-klub-samod ... pozitorov/
"for his 70th anniversary in 2009, two collections of piano pieces “Dedication” and “Snowdrop” were published by Vladimir Efimovich Zavgorodniy"
"In 2019, a large author’s concert of composer V. Zavgorodniy was held in the village of Topar on his 80th birthday."
So birth year ~1939, Also I notice that his name seems to be more often transliterated wth an -iy

And from https://moluch.ru/archive/487/106408/
In the past, Vladimir Efimovich was a professional sailor. After graduating from the Blagoveshchensk River School, he received the specialty of navigator and navigator and served in the Pacific Fleet on the cruiser Admiral Lazarev.

“Sail of Hope” is a 5-part piano suite by composer and teacher-pianist Vladimir Zavgorodniy. It was written in 2014.
I Elegy (this appears to be the same Elegy as attached above)
II Dolphin and Mermaid
III The Flying Dutchman
IV The Ninth Wave
V Sail of Hope
Gamma1734
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Organ, Flute, Violin, Accordion

Post by Gamma1734 »

Couldn't find this on PP.

(Deleted)
naturlaut

Post by naturlaut »

Late to the Berkovich discussion, but I have a copy of the concerto op. 40 which I don't find listed. I actually have two copies. If there isn't already a scan I will have it scanned. The Op. 44 is quite well known and readily available.

There is also a set of Etudes Op. 31 not listed on ale07. 28 of them in the set, titled "Medium Difficulty".