China Japan and the Far East

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Re: China Japan and the Far East

Post by soh choon wee »

lutoslawski wrote:Here is some works for Piano and Erhu.
San Men Xia
Actually, the more accurate title is Fantasie on San-Men Xia.
San-Men Xia (this is the name of a place at He-Nan province)
Baidu-pedia (the Wiki-pedia of PRC) described this place :
http://baike.baidu.com/view/3180.htm?fr=ala0_1

San-Men Xia is a dam at Yellow River.

This is a very famous Er-Hu piece. I believed it had also been transcribed into Er-Hu Concerto, and recorded under HUGO label (a Hong-Kong label) and perhaps also by Decca too.

From Baidu-pedia, this is the description of this piece.
http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/127740003.html
(1)先介绍刘文金先生:
刘文金是中国著名的作曲家,河南安阳人,1937年5月生于河北唐山,自幼便随家人,回到祖籍安阳。1951年,14岁的刘文金考入了安阳县的一所中学,他以一个音乐爱好者的身份进了学校的乐队,在这里他学会了拉二胡、吹笛子、弹月琴,还学会了弹奏风琴。他突出的音乐感觉很快被学校里的音乐老师李景沛发现,便有意识的对他进行多方面的培养与指导。在刘文金的脑海里,萌生了将来要从事音乐工作的念头。
1954年刘文金在河南省会郑州开始了他的高中生活。他在中学里成了音乐爱好者中的骨干,被大家一致推选为乐队队长。
1956年刘文金高中毕业后,他考取了我国著名的高等音乐学府——中央音乐学院。他在中央音乐学院学习期间,先后随林超夏、黄晓飞学习作曲,从吴式锴、段平泰、杨儒怀、吴祖强、王澍等学习和声、复调、作品分析、管弦乐配器等作品基本理论,从刘育和学习钢琴,从陈振铎、赵春峰习二胡、唢呐、笙等民族乐器的基本演奏技法。
1959年,刘文金已是大学三年级的学生了,他一方面努力学习各种专业基础课程,一方面积极参加学校组织的采风活动。这一年他在深入生活的基础上创作了由钢琴伴奏的二胡独奏曲《豫北叙事曲》,翌年,他又创作了《三门峡畅想曲》。由于他具有比较雄厚的生活与民间音乐的基础,将自己真实的思想情绪寄托在热情洋溢的音符之中。这两首二胡独奏曲一问世,便在民族音乐界引起了很大的反响,很快被列入高等音乐学府的二胡教材。
他在创作这两首乐曲时,没有采用常见的民歌音调加变奏等流行的手法,而是在认真地捕捉生活中具有代表性的情绪,运用有浓郁地方特色的音调,把它化为刘文金自己的音乐语言,去表述自己的、也是能代表大多数人们的看法,去向广大的听众述说着一个音乐家的观点。打破了多年以来二胡创作的沉闷性,为二胡音乐的创作开拓了一个新的途径。
1961年年毕业于中央音乐学院。历任中央民族乐团团长、艺术总监、以及中国歌剧舞剧院院长等职;现任中国歌剧舞剧院艺术指导。为中国音乐家协会理事、创作委员会副主任,中国音乐著作权协会常务理事,中国民族管弦乐学会副会长;2001年被聘为韩国中央大学校国乐大学教授。
青年时代的刘文金在校学习学习期间成绩优异,曾获得中央音乐学院颁发的“优秀学生”奖励。《豫北叙事曲》和《三门峡畅想曲》是他在校期间的处女作,被誉为杰出的二胡与钢琴结合的姊妹篇。1993年,《豫北叙事曲》被评为“二十世纪华人音乐经典”;1999年,《三门峡畅想曲》被选入国庆50周年“新中国舞台艺术和影视艺术精品”专籍。1982年5月,二胡协奏曲《长城随想》于“上海之春”首演成功,并荣获全国第三届音乐作品评奖一等奖,多年来,《长城随想》曾以不同形式在全国许多省、市(包括港、澳、台等地区)以及欧、美、亚十几个国家多次上演,受到热烈欢迎。
四十多年来,刘文金创作和改编了大量的民族器乐、声乐以及其他体裁的作品数百(首)。此外还有舞蹈、舞剧、电影、电视连续剧配乐等。刘文金还参加了大型音乐舞蹈史诗《中国革命之歌》的音乐创作。
刘文金被民乐界誉为“刘天华以来最具代表性的作曲家”,香港中乐团1989年9月特意推出了一台“从刘天华到刘文金”为标题的音乐会。
北美中国音乐研究会“CHESE MUSIC”称刘文金是“中国大陆最能感到他的震撼力的”一位作曲家,连续载文分析、评论他的民族音乐作品。
刘文金多次应邀出访欧、美、亚几十个国家及我国港澳台等地区。多次指挥香港、新加坡、台湾的中乐、华乐、国乐团体为他举办的个人作品专场音乐会。他和日本、韩国作曲家共同创建了亚洲乐团。
刘文金被文化部列为有杰出贡献的艺术家,接受了国务院颁发的荣誉证书和政府特殊津贴。
刘文金创作的每部作品都有着独特的个性,他写的作品几乎都找不到某个民间固定音调的原型,但是又使人感到它们都有着传统的血缘关系;这就是他长期学习传统、学习民族民间音乐、学习西洋音乐,经过消化、提练,再创作的结果。他写的音乐没有说教式的音调,听众得到的第一印象就是亲切感人,有着民族音乐的神韵;继而听之,能使人思索、回味;细而察之,使人感到他的作品中贯穿着一种艺术哲理,因而被称为:追求民族音乐神韵的作曲家。

(2)《三门峡畅想曲》创作背景:
《三门峡畅想曲》,以河南地区社会生活的变化作为创作题材,借用了西洋回旋曲式的结构,并运用火一样的激情,表现了作者对在黄河上建起的三门峡水库那壮观景象所引起的无限广阔的自豪情感。全曲共分七个段落,第一段中运用了富有舞蹈性的节奏,描写了三门峡建设者们愉快豪爽的形象;第二段则表现了建设者坚定的信念;第六和第七段,乐曲更加火热,尾声在十分火热的气氛中结束。特别是作者在乐曲中创造性地运用了三种定弦法(即sol--re弦)、 (la--mi弦)和(mi--si弦)的结合,大大扩展了二胡的表现力。

Basically, (1) described the composer Liu Wen-Jin who composed this piece in 1960 while he was third year undergraduate student in BeiJing central conservatory of music.

(2) This piece uses the Rondo structure. It depicts the composer feeling towards the DAM of San-Men Xia, the piece consisted of 7 parts.
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

lutoslawski wrote:The love of Tzu Jiang (river?)
Tzu-Jiang

Jiang=River.
Tzu-Jiang (in PRC pin-yin Zhu-Jiang) is the river Zhu, which is the river in Guangzhou, running through GuangZhou, ShenZhen and HongKong.

This is the Youtube of the music :
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjk3ODg2MzY=.html

This is considered a virtuosic piece, a competition favorite. Sorry, i know too little about ErHu music. But the Youtube version is a good representation of the voicing and vibrato of this instrument.
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

lutoslawski wrote: Tzuo Yin Yao Hong-- according to what i learned in chinese, is movements of the candles shadow.
Tzuo-Yin Yao Hong (Zhu-Yin Yao-Hong)
This is the last piece of ErHu music composed by Liu Tian-Hua, the Paganinni of Erhu. This piece was composed May 1932. It uses the Cantonese tune in 3-4 timing, it is in dance form and uses the variation format, and depict the glorious dance scene (in the royal court).

http://baike.baidu.com/view/685151.htm
二胡曲《烛影摇红》
作品简介
  《烛影摇红》创作于1932年5月,它是刘天华先生的最后一首二胡作品。作者借广东小曲中的标题用三拍子写成,是一首舞曲,在人们眼前展现了一派华丽、辉煌的舞会场面。乐曲情绪欢快,旋律流畅,使人陶醉;但此曲又并非尽情欢乐,恰似一个受压迫的歌女,强颜欢笑,婆娑而舞,在华丽、激情的曲调中蕴含着悲哀和惆怅,其含义深刻,令人回味。[3]
作品鉴赏
  乐曲为变奏曲式结构,旋律富有中国古典色彩,但节奏上借鉴了西方的三拍子及复拍子,新颖美妙。全曲由引子、四个段落和尾声组成。引子:一开始即以一个强奏的八度音程大跳,醒目地勾画出明亮、辉煌的一笔,好象主人一下子打开了舞场中所有的灯光,一个华丽的场面展现在人们眼前,主人向客人频频地发出热情的邀请。第一段:从第八小节开始,八、九两小节旋律相同,实际上是第一段的过门音乐,从第十小节起是乐曲的主题乐段,曲调轻松、优美,极富舞蹈性,生动地描写了人们在兴致勃勃中翩翩起舞的情景。第二段:从第十八小节起,是主题的第一次变奏,它由第一段的乐句加花变奏,出现了连续的十六分音符音型,使音乐更活跃,情绪更热烈,但在乐句结构、分句法、旋律线以及强弱变化等方面,与主题乐段并没有多大改变。第三段:从第二十六小节起,是主题的第二次变奏,情绪更热烈,变化更丰富,是全曲的高潮。第三十一小节起是第二变奏的高八度紧缩再现。从九连音开始,旋律于高音区急转直下,至第三十四小节,舞会结束,客人渐渐散去,原来热烈、辉煌的场面很快地暗淡下来。第四段:从第三十五小节起,该乐段并不是主题旋律的变奏,而是从主题的节奏形式上延伸出来的一个深沉而忧伤的乐段,深刻地描绘了主人公在盛大舞会散去后那种孤独、悲伤的情绪。尾声:从第四十二小节最后一拍起,前半部分十六分音符音型节奏不规则,表现出主人公烦乱的心绪;后半部分音乐渐慢渐弱,音色越来越透明,情绪越来越宁静,将人们带入梦幻般的意境中,给人留下无尽的思索。[3]
作者简介
  刘天华   刘天华像(1895-1932)江苏江阴人。国乐一代宗师,“中西兼擅,理艺并长、而又会通其间”的中国优秀的民族乐器作曲家、演奏家、音乐教育家。刘天华共作有十首二胡曲:《病中吟》、《月夜》、《苦闷之讴》、《悲歌》、《空山鸟语》、《闲居吟》、《良宵》、《光明行》、《独弦操》、《烛影摇红》;三首琵琶曲:《歌舞引》、《改进操》、《虚籁》;一首丝竹合奏曲《变体新水令》。编有四十七首二胡练习曲、十五首琵琶练习曲,还整理了崇明派传统琵琶曲十二首,其中他改编的《飞花点翠》于1928年由高亭唱片公司录制唱片,现已成为琵琶经典乐曲。刘天华在教学之余学习小提琴和西洋作曲理论,并在民族音乐的基础上吸收西洋音乐和演奏技巧,在民族器乐创作和演奏上取得了杰出的成就。
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,Violin. Composer.
Music Scores: Yes

Post by lutoslawski »

Million Thanks, on clearing me. Good to know that Zhu Jiang , is a competition favorite, and also works from virtuosic composers. I will be posting other erhu works. Some works are for other type of 2 stringed fiddle. Like Gaohu.
Indeed this works sounds great. And thanks for the youtube video.

All best,

Tony
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac

Post by lutoslawski »

Here is some other works .
Yi Bei - (a place i believe somewhere in china (?)) for Erhu and Piano
Yue Yie - Moon at night - for Erhu and Piano
Pu Tao Sou Le - (sorry for bad pinyin) - Grapes has Ripen. Fur Erhu und Klavier

All best,

Tony
Pu Tao Sou Le.pdf
Yue Yie.pdf
Yi Bei.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

lutoslawski wrote:Here is some other works .
Yi Bei - (a place i believe somewhere in china (?)) for Erhu and Piano
Yue Yie - Moon at night - for Erhu and Piano
Pu Tao Sou Le - (sorry for bad pinyin) - Grapes has Ripen. Fur Erhu und Klavier
All best, Tony
Yi-Bei, again composed by Liu Wen-jin, together with the (earlier posted by Tony) san-men xia, was the contribution (of 1959-1960) Liu to the modern ErHu repertoir. Yu-Bei refers to He-Bei, literally means the North of Yellow river. As we know, china had three main river, yellow river (He) , yang-tze-jiang (Jiang) and Zhu-JIang. The province north of Yellow River and South of Yellow River are called He-bei and He-Nan respectively. The proper translation of this work should be Yi-Bei Ballade. This work is a very important repertoir for ErHu.
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/h0cpmvUCVww/

Yue-Yie, again composed by Liu Tian-Hua (that paganini of ErHu) , perhaps a closer translation would be Clair la lune.

Bu-Tao shou le (Grapes had ripened) was composed by Zhou-wei between 1982 - 1985, depicting the Xin-Jiang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinjiang) people celebrating the harvest period.
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/fvRa ... /isRenhe=1 (Youtube)
80年代创作的。应该是在1982年--1985年之间创作的一首二胡曲。
《葡萄熟了》是周维先生根据新疆维吾尔族音乐主题创作的一首脍炙人口的二胡独奏曲。它生动地描写了新疆人民在葡萄收获季节载歌载舞欢庆丰收的动人场面。作品结构严谨,曲式鲜明,曲调清新优美,风格浓郁独特,节奏明快爽朗,情绪热烈奔放,是不可多得的表现我国少数民族音乐风格特征的精品。
parag
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by parag »

Thanks for the Erhu scores! speaking of which, is there anyone out there who knows of a single book and/or a DVD on Erhu technique in English?

Thanks,
Parag
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac

Post by lutoslawski »

2 more erhu scores.
Spring has come - Tschuen Tien Lai Le
Taiwanese folk song - I will put the name later, after i have figured out the title that is very unreadable right now.
Is a folk music, sang by aboriginals here in taiwan. Ke Chia people , if i am not mistaken.
Soh Choon Wee, can you tell me the author of this spring music?

All best,

Tony
Taiwanese folk music.pdf
Spring has come.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

lutoslawski wrote:Taiwanese folk song - I will put the name later, after i have figured out the title that is very unreadable right now.
Is a folk music, sang by aboriginals here in taiwan. Ke Chia people , if i am not mistaken.
Tony

This Taiwanese Folk Song

i must admit, i cannot decifer the title..........
The hand-written score. I am guessing whether it is from China (PRC) or Taiwan (ROC).
Based on orthography, there are some words that is written in simplified character (pointing towards PRC) yet there are some that is written in traditional character (ROC).
The music idion seems to suggest Hainan island, the minority there. Those syncopated rhythm is very characteristic of Hainan island.

A bit of history. Ke-chia (the more familiar name to the western world is Hakka) is DEFINITELY not aborigin of taiwan. The 10(some said 11) tribe in taiwan belongs to the Polynesians people, just like the Malayu in malaysia penisula. They do not use ErHu as an instrument.

Ke (in chinese language) means GUEST.

In the early middle kingdoms (around 4-10 century AD) the Ke were living in between Yellow river and Yang-Tze river, with the invasion of northwest, the mongols the various Tartans etc, and also the northern chinese, these original "CHINA" people was moved southwards,
Today, they lived among the SiChuan, Canton, Hokkien and also Taiwan. In taiwan, they are mainly in Miao-Li area.
Their dialect Ke-chia-hua is believed to reflect the middle ages chinese (Likewise, the cantonese and Hokkien or Tai-Yu) are closer to middle ages chinese.

About the Ke-jia (HAKKA)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakka
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakka_people
The Hakka people (Hakka language: 客家人 Hak-kâ ngin; Mandarin Chinese: 客家人 Kèjiā ren) also known as Hakka Han,[1][2] are Han Chinese who speak the Hakka language and have links with the area of the provinces of Guangdong, Jiangxi, and Fujian in China. Their ancestors were often said to have arrived from what is today's central China centuries ago.[3] In a series of migrations, the Hakkas moved, settled in their present locations in southern China, and then often migrated overseas to various countries throughout the world.[4] They have had a significant influence on the course of Chinese and overseas Chinese history: in particular, several revolutionary, political, and military leaders have has Hakka origins.
(this wiki article is nearly factual and provide a very good start)
This music is new to me.
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

lutoslawski wrote:2 more erhu scores.
Spring has come - Tschuen Tien Lai Le
Tony
ChunTian lai le (Tschuen Tien Lai Le) Spring has come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8_Q0iFQk4k
《春天来了》筝、高胡、扬琴三重奏曲,二胡领奏 雷雨声创作于1956年。这首乐曲是根据福建民歌《采茶扑蝶》、云南民歌《小河淌水》等音乐素材改编而成,既发挥了原曲欢快喜悦的情趣,又以各种演奏技巧以及巧妙的配器等,多变的复调和借鉴钢琴的伴奏音型,生动地表现了山泉淙淙,鸟语花香的明媚春光,使人感觉春天来到了人间的喜悦。此曲曾在1957年第六届世界青年联欢节的民间音乐比赛中荣获金质奖章。
This Youtube is a trio, using GuZheng (Zither) GaoHU (Soprano ErHu) and YangQing. This piece was composed 1956, according to Hokkien folk tune and Yunnan folk song. It won the composing prize in 1957, from this source, the composer is Lui-Yu-Sheng (i personally has some doubt, as this name is not very convincing, sounded more like a team effort, something that was very popular in 50s-60s in china)

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/MTqMwpe40t0/ (Youtube) the performers Mian-Hui-Fen is the prima donna of ErHu . Her definitive recording of San-Men-Xia and YuBei fantasie was accolade wining.

Please also listen to Mian-Hui-Fen playing "Jiang'He Shui"
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/MTqMwpe40t0/
This is a SAD piece, an elegie, in my opinion, the highest art for ErHu.