The Music of Italy

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: The Music of Italy

Post by mballan »

Giuseppe Martucci (1856-1909). Eminent Italian composer and conductor. Studied initially with his father, then aged 11 he was admitted to the Conservatoire de San Pietro a Maiella in Naples. Studied piano with Cesi and composition with Serrao but left in 1871. Concertized in Italy, France, Germany and England before becoming a professor of piano at the Naples Conservatoire in 1880. From 1886-1902 was the director of the Bologna Conservatoire before returning in 1902 to the Naples Conservatoire as director, and where he remained until his death.

Composed 2 symphonies, 2 piano concertos, chamber and instrumental works, songs and piano pieces.

I have posted his refined and beautifully expessive sonata Op 34.
Martucci G - Piano Sonata Op 34.pdf
Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Thanks for this very charming sonata, Malc.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

A charming miniature from Lao Silesu (1883-1953).
Silesu L - Serenade Passionnee.pdf
Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rdem

Post by rdem »

Have the complete piano works of Rossini ever been attempted here? Recently I've been listening to the 4 volumes already issued of the wonderful Péchés de vieillesse and other works issued by Chandos and would love to attempt some of them. I have only found the 4 volumes of selections republished by Kalmus, the Etude Asthmatique, and the 5 pieces edited by Soulima Stravinsky on the net and would be very interested in anything else anyone has.

Years ago, I did scan the complete Album de Chaumière (Vol VII), though seem to have some how lost the last 3 pieces from it! If others are interested, I'd be most happy to upload the rest.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Richard
WCosand
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by WCosand »

Harvard's Houghton Library has scanned four Rossini piano piece manuscripts of great interest. I am not sure; perhaps they were on pianophilia before. I put them up on my site:

http://waltercosand.com/CosandScores/Co ... nuscripts/
rdem

Post by rdem »

Thanks very much for those. They were new to me. Beautiful handwriting he had, and Saint-Saens said he scribbled his late works down!
alegitor
Pianophiliac

Post by alegitor »

rdem wrote:Have the complete piano works of Rossini ever been attempted here? Recently I've been listening to the 4 volumes already issued of the wonderful Péchés de vieillesse and other works issued by Chandos and would love to attempt some of them. I have only found the 4 volumes of selections republished by Kalmus, the Etude Asthmatique, and the 5 pieces edited by Soulima Stravinsky on the net and would be very interested in anything else anyone has.

Years ago, I did scan the complete Album de Chaumière (Vol VII), though seem to have some how lost the last 3 pieces from it! If others are interested, I'd be most happy to upload the rest.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Richard
I have the following pieces from Album de Chaumière: Une pensée à Florence, Valse boiteuse, Marche, Un profond sommeil, Un réveil en Sursaut. If any of those is amongst the 3 you are missing, let me know. In case you have any different from those in my list, please post them for me.

Cheers.
rdem

Post by rdem »

Excellent! the three missing pieces were: Une pensée à Florence, Valse boiteuse and Marche! The last three of the set. It would be great if you could post those.
Number 5, Prelude inoffensif, was included in the Kalmus edition and here are the others you are missing:-
.......so one Album completed. Are there anymore out there?
Rossini_Chaumière_3_ Petite Polka chinoise.pdf
Rossini_Chaumière_1_Gymnastique d'écartement.pdf
rdem

Post by rdem »

More of Rossini's Album de Chaumière.............
Rossini_Chaumière_9_Un Cauchemar.PDF
Rossini_Chaumière_8_ Plein chant chinois.pdf
Rossini_Chaumière_6_ Petite valse l'Huile de Ricine.pdf
Rossini_Chaumière_4_ Petite Valse de Boudoir.pdf
Rossini_Chaumière_2_ Prélude fugassé.pdf
WCosand
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by WCosand »

What I find especially interesting about the Rossini manuscripts is not only the neatness but the rude drawing:

http://waltercosand.com/CosandScores/Co ... chique.pdf

has this at the top!