Ilu.
Quo melius Illac
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: BENELUX - Music from Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg

Post by Jean-Séb »

As requested by one of the most gracious members of this forum, I have scanned a further book by A. Schmoll, intended for young pupils. Although I could have posted in several other threads, I chose this one because I believe that A. Schmoll was Belgian although this is not clear. He seemed to have lived also in Paris at the turn of the 20th Century.
His four-volume Méthode de Piano was rather popular for a number of years, and it is still available in a reprint edition.
http://www.di-arezzo.co.uk/sheet+music/ ... 8206b7ea94
Jean-Séb
Schmoll Sonatines progressives opp.61-70.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Biljana

Post by Biljana »

Merci beaucoup,
Je suis très reconnaissant

Biljana
:D :) :D
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Can't seem to find much out about this Dutch composer - Carl Oberstadt (1871-1940), who was a student of Clara Schumann. Taught at the Royal College of Music in The Hague.

His Op 1 Deux Morceaux
Oberstadt C.D - Op 1 Deux Morceaux.pdf
Malcolm & Sir P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

mballan wrote:Can't seem to find much out about this Dutch composer - Carl Oberstadt (1871-1940), who was a student of Robert and Clara Schumann. Taught at the Royal College of Music in The Hague.
[/attachment]
That is very interesting: how did he study with Robert (did he contact a medium or was he mediumistic himself)?
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

mballan wrote:Can't seem to find much out about this Dutch composer - Carl Oberstadt (1871-1940), who was a student of Robert and Clara Schumann. Taught at the Royal College of Music in The Hague.

His Op 1 Deux Morceaux
Malcolm & Sir P
I guess you (or someone else) already offered the very same score in 2008, along with his opus 3 "suite for pianoforte". There is also a Cavatine opus 9, but by a Wilhelm Oberstadt.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

His Op 1 Deux Morceaux
Malcolm & Sir P
Thanks for this interesting piece, Malc. Oberstadt could only have studied with Clara as Robert died in 1856 while Clara lived on until 1896, which is not to say he didn't study Robert's music, as everyone should.
Riodk
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, but not very well :-)

Post by Riodk »

Jean-Séb wrote: I guess you (or someone else) already offered the very same score in 2008, along with his opus 3 "suite for pianoforte". There is also a Cavatine opus 9, but by a Wilhelm Oberstadt.
Thank you for this information. One mess less in my folders :-)

Riodk
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Jean-Séb wrote:

His Op 1 Deux Morceaux
Malcolm & Sir P
I guess you (or someone else) already offered the very same score in 2008, along with his opus 3 "suite for pianoforte". There is also a Cavatine opus 9, but by a Wilhelm Oberstadt.
Wasn't me as I wasn't a member of PP in 2008 ?

Well spotted.......alas, I just copied direct from the internet about Oberstadt as couldn't find anything in Grove, Baker etc. Unfortunately I was in a rush this morning to post these and must admit I didn't stop to question dates. Unless a true case of mediumship I suspect must have just been Clare and have amended the entry as such. Teach me to rush and trust the internet :oops: !!

Malcolm
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Another Pianophilia exclusive ? As this was a somewhat difficult composer to track down - I have included the majority of an article on her given in Dutch [which I have translated thanks to Google]!!

Johanna Magdalena Gräver (born Amsterdam 1829, died sometime after 1868). Concert pianist, tecaher and composer. Johanna married in 1856 in London to a S. Johnson about which nothing is known, not is there any information about any children.

Johanna Magdalena - Madeleine - Gräver was the youngest of four daughters in a Lutheran family. Her parents came from Germany and were married in 1810 in Amsterdam. Her musicality was discovered early and according to Liszt he predicted in 1842 that she would have a great future. She studied music with Bertelman in Amsterdam, and piano with Moscheles and Litolff [she performed one of Litolff’s concertos in 1848 to much acclaim]. Her debute, when 18 years old, included a piano concerto by Hummel, that according to a report was played "with as much aplomb, so much flavor and all parts so perfectly given, that despite the length of the piece the audience became more enthused as the work progressed”. A year later she performed one of Chopin’s piano concertos and a piano by Litolff. She also included various works by Liszt in her repertoire.

She travelled extensively, concertizing throughout France, England and North America - settling finally for a period as a music teacher in New York. In 1863, she returned to Europe – she performed in that year with her teacher Litolff, in a memorable concert at the Louvre in Paris; she was also appointed by Queen Sophia 'pianist de la reine des Pays-Bas'.

Gräver composed piano music. The earliest surviving work starts with Op 6, the latest Op 16 – all are short character pieces generally meant as educational material. Her publications are undated, but probably Op 6 was published in 1865, while in 1868 Alsbach advertised two Caprices – these however according to the Dutch website were deemed missing (this included the elusive Grand Caprice de Concert). Apart from Op 6 she published her compositions under the name "MJ Gräver " or "MJ Graever ', which was to conceal that she was a female composer.

It is not known when and where Madeleine Johnson Gräver died.

Compositions
• Tondichtungen Sechs für das Pianoforte Op 6 (Amsterdam, nd [1865]).
• Romance sans paroles ? Op 7 (Paris nd, etc.).
• Souvenez vous Op 11(The Hague, nd).
• Voyage à petit Scheveningue Op 12 (The Hague, nd).
• Liebe Lied Op 14 (The Hague, nd).
• Le Retour du Chasseur Op 15 (The Hague, nd).
• Feuilles d'Album Op 16 (The Hague, nd).
• Allegro giocoso, caprice (Rotterdam 1868) [missing].
• Grand Caprice de concert (Rotterdam 1868) [missing].

As Mr P and I like to surprise you with extremely rare works..............duly posted are the two said missing pieces [and would seem to confirm the correct work associated with Op 7]:

Op 7 Allegro Giocoso Caprice
Graver M.J - Op 7 Caprice.pdf
Op 8 Grand Caprice de Concert
Graver M.J - Op 8 Grand Caprice de Concert.pdf
Malcolm & Mr P