Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by Scriabinoff »

source, Grove.
vincent_youmans.jpg
Youmans, Vincent (Millie)[/b]

(b New York, 27 Sept 1898; d Denver, 5 April 1946).
American composer. He worked as a piano salesman and music-roll maker at Aeolian, where he came under the tutelage of Felix Arndt, and later worked as a song plugger for Remick and Harms. He began composing while in the navy during World War I; Sousa admired one of his marches and orchestrated it for the Marine Corps band. In 1920, when his first song was published (The Country Cousin), he was working as a rehearsal pianist for Victor Herbert. He composed his first Broadway score, Two Little Girls in Blue, in collaboration with Paul Lannin in 1921. The success of this and his next work, The Wildflower (1923), established his fame. No, No, Nanette, also of 1923, and including ‘Tea for Two’ and ‘I want to be happy’, was the biggest musical-comedy success of the 1920s in both Europe and the USA. From 1927 Youmans also produced his own shows. He had another major success with Hit the Deck! (1927; including ‘Hallelujah’), but his subsequent productions were failures, though many of their songs remain popular. His last contributions to Broadway were some songs for Take a Chance (1932).

Youmans’s early songs are remarkable for their economy of melodic material: two-, three- or four-note phrases are constantly repeated and varied by subtle harmonic or rhythmic changes. In later years, however, apparently influenced by Kern, he turned to longer musical sentences and more free-flowing melodic lines. Youmans was forced to retire in 1934, owing to tuberculosis, after a professional career of only 13 years. More than any of his contemporaries he made constant re-use of a limited number of melodies; he published fewer than 100 songs, but 18 of these were considered standards by ASCAP.

Bibliography
S. Green: The World of Musical Comedy: the Story of the American Musical Stage as told through the Careers of its Foremost Composers and Lyricists (New York, 1960, rev. and enlarged 4/1980)
D. Dunn: The Making of No, No, Nanette (Secaucus, NJ, 1972)
G. Bordman: Days to be Happy, Years to be Sad: the Life and Music of Vincent Youmans (New York, 1982)
Gerald Bordman

Youmans, Vincent (Arr Henry Levine) - Tea for Two.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GJF323

Post by GJF323 »

Thanks for the Youmans posting, Scriabinoff. Always nice to see Youmans getting some attention. BTW, the biography of Youmans by Gerald Bordman is very good. Certainly well worth the .01 that someone is selling it for on Amazon. And of course the 2 nice CD's by Bolcolm/Morris/White are worth listening to as well.
didi

Post by didi »

Scriabinoff

thanks very much for this Levine transcription,
Very welcome !!

Didi
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

from an interesting listing on Ebay, was wondering if anyone can help with rendering a good jpg to PDF conversion and maybe a separation of the image for 2,3 to separate pages maybe a little clean up? I really wish I knew and had the software capability to do this kind of stuff. Not my photos.
Federico Ramos - El Carnaval, 2 Step.
0.jpg
1.jpg
2,3.jpg
I am trying to hunt down a bio on the pianist/composer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FW190
Pianomaniac

Post by FW190 »

Here is the pdf version. Unf. the resolution is low (72 dpi), so a b/w conversion is not senseful.
Ramos,P.-.El-Carnaval-Two-Step-(pno).pdf
In Bach we trust.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

FW190 wrote:Here is the pdf version. Unf. the resolution is low (72 dpi), so a b/w conversion is not senseful.
Outstanding! Many thanks as always. :D
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

I say chaps, I am after the piano sheets to an old old 1920's song called whispering. It has massive banjo potential as is displayed to great effect by this gent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjtl3FXKqgU

Luv

Thal
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

thalbergmad wrote:I say chaps, I am after the piano sheets to an old old 1920's song called whispering. It has massive banjo potential as is displayed to great effect by this gent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjtl3FXKqgU

Luv

Thal
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.n ... urner.html
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

Top marks. Well done that man.

Luv

Thal
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

thalbergmad wrote:Top marks. Well done that man.

Luv

Thal
Glad to help. A bit of background info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whispering_(song)

PDF per request of PP member:
Schonberger_Whispering.pdf