School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by Jim Faston »

Anyone with the collection of Lou Singer arrangements entitled Chappell’s Famous Melodies for Piano Solo?

Here's a pic of the cover from Amazon UK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chappells-Famo ... B001JRJH0C

Here’s a link to his arrangement of How High the Moon that I scanned a while back in case you missed it:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=178&p=21720#p21720
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Here’s a B&W version of Bob Zurke’s arrangement of The Darktown Strutter’s Ball, originally uploaded as a jpg by gigiranalli in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=178&p=14245#p14245
Zurke, Bob (arr.) -The Darktown Strutter's Ball.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Melargren
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Melargren »

One nice Finnish rarity:

Kullervo Linna (1911 - 1987) - Itämainen Idylli / Orientalisk Idyll, Fox-Intermezzo op. 12 (1942)
Spotify recording by Kullervo Linna
Linna, Kullervo - Orientalisk Idyll.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

just want to highlight a modern transcriber and composer. I'll link to one of his hosted site where various scores include a great prelude, and other jazzy picks can be had free of charge again since he is alive and makes available i'll only link and would ask you download from his site vs re post here
goes by "lent" / "Eurystomus"

one example, Tea for Two (not the one you're expecting, but I love it!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-fVwyarOoE
about his self published/indie album (includes some selections from scores linked)\
http://vgmdb.net/album/40766
his scores and some samples
http://eurystomus.jimdo.com/music/

*folks that like Rosenblatt and Kapustin should browse his channel for a few really nice recordings he did among his own arrangments of other stuff
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

i thought i had shared this, but searches revealed i only posted a bio excerpt that mentioned the work. Guion deserves more appreciation, and although much of the emphasis is on his folk tunes and cowboy and related regional music, this jazz piece should be put out there. Score is rare/unusual so had to take what I could get, hence non grey scale and copious colored pencil markings.

If someone wants to try and assist with a conversion and clean up, would be much appreciated.
Scriabinoff wrote:by special request
Guion, David W (1892-1981) - Turkey In The Straw Concert Transcription.pdf
http://youtu.be/tTWtASF4sa8
Guion, David W (1892-1981) - Sheep and Goat, Walkin To The Pature, Cowboys and Old Fiddlers Breakdown.pdf
http://youtu.be/x7PWPZd-wlE

I was very reluctant to release these. Again, was individually and privately approached to share. Please, no re-ups, or alternate posting, PP only resource as much as possible, thanks. 8-)
guion_david_wendel.jpg
Bio from TX State Historical Association

GUION, DAVID WENDEL (1892–1981). David Wendel Guion, composer and musician, son of John I. and Armour (Fentress) Guion, was born on December 15, 1892, in Ballinger, Texas. His mother was an accomplished singer and pianist, and his father was a prominent judge. Guion's parents discovered his musical ability when he was five years old; consequently he started his musical education early. He studied first in nearby San Angelo, then at the Whipple Academy in Jacksonville, Illinois, and further at Polytechnic College in Fort Worth. His parents sent him to Vienna to study with Leopold Godowsky at the Royal Conservatory of Music. After the outbreak of World War I Guion returned to the states, where he began teaching and composing.

Throughout the 1920s and 1930s he composed and performed music that reflected his Texas heritage. For a time he hosted a Western-oriented weekly radio show in New York City, for which he wrote the scripts and music. But Guion, at one time himself an accomplished cowboy, became most famous for his arrangement of the cowboy song "Home on the Range," which was performed for the first time in his New York production Prairie Echoes. It became a favorite of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and the nation. In 1936 Guion was commissioned to write Cavalcade of America for the Texas Centennial celebration, and in 1950 he received a commission from the Houston Symphony Orchestra, for which he completed the suite Texas in 1952. His compositions number over 200 published works and includes orchestral suites, ballet music, piano pieces, and secular and religious songs. His music has been performed around the world.

Guion was one of the first American composers to collect and transcribe folk tunes, including Negro spirituals, into concert music. He is well-known for his arrangements of "Turkey in the Straw" and "The Arkansas Traveler," as well as "The Yellow Rose of Texas," "The Lonesome Whistler," "The Harmonica Player," "Jazz Scherzo," "Barcarolle," "The Scissors Grinder," "Valse Arabesque," and the Mother Goose Suite. He was a master at musically representing the history and heritage of early Texas with such works as "Ride, Cowboy, Ride," "The Bold Vaquero," "Lonesome Song of the Plains," "Prairie Dusk," and the "Texas Fox Trot." A collection of his waltzes, "Southern Nights," was used in the movie Grand Hotel.

Guion was a member of the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers, the Texas Composers Guild, and the Texas Teachers Association. In 1955 the National Federation of Music Clubs announced that Guion was one of America's most significant folk-music composers. Guion, a Presbyterian and a Democrat, had a teaching career spanning over sixty years. He influenced young musicians at numerous colleges and conservatories including Howard Payne University (which in 1950 awarded him an honorary doctorate in music), Fort Worth Polytechnic College, Fairmont Conservatory, Chicago Musical College, Daniel Baker College, and Southern Methodist University.

Guion died on October 17, 1981, in Dallas and was buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Ballinger. Upon his death, his large collection of furniture, glassware, music recordings, books, and memorabilia was donated to the International Festival-Institute at Round Top. The Crouch Music Library at Baylor University, the Dallas Public Library, and the Fine Arts Library at the University of Texas at Austin have portions of his archives.

BIBLIOGRAPHY:

Sam Hanna Acheson, Herbert P. Gambrell, Mary Carter Toomey, and Alex M. Acheson, Jr., Texian Who's Who, Vol. 1 (Dallas: Texian, 1937). Donna Bearden and Jamie Frucht, The Texas Sampler: A Stitch in Time (Austin: Governor's Committee on Aging, 1976?). Houston Chronicle, October 21, 1981. Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Guion, David W (1892-1981) - Jazz Scherzo.pdf
kroket
Pianophiliac

Post by kroket »

Scriabinoff wrote:
Guion, David W (1892-1981) - Jazz Scherzo.pdf
Great! Searched a while for this one, but impossible to find. Only here, now!
Thank you very much, Scriabinoff!
Greetings,
kroket
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Thanks Scriabinoff. Here's my B&W version.
Guion_Jazz Scherzo (B&W).pdf
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Jim Faston wrote:Thanks Scriabinoff. Here's my B&W version.
Guion_Jazz Scherzo (B&W).pdf
Many thanks for this version Jim! :D
lebowl
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano Mason BB

Post by lebowl »

Anyone have any transcriptions of Irving Berlin's I Love A Piano? THANKS!!