School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Rob C.

Short Cleo Brown Boogie Woogie transcription

Post by Rob C. »

Brown, Cleo- Cleo's Left Hand... on Boogie-Woogie (transcription) 1937.pdf
Hi everyone,

While I'm awaiting the answers to my questions, I thought I'd post a little something in the interim. While looking through some microfilms of "Down Beat" magazine to see if they ever published an obit of George W. Thomas (they didn't) I happened upon an item of interest to this thread: a 1937 short transcription of Cleo Brown's boogie woogie. Keep in mind this is a scan of a printout of old microfilm (I had to "stitch" together the second column on the first page--you'll see where), but, despite it's failings, it's still very readable and that's the most important thing. Hope you enjoy it! Here's a link to Cleo playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4tf9TMqmhA. Interestingly, Cleo gives a few dance instructions while she's playing in this recording. Below is a transcription of her verbal introduction to the piece which you'll hear from 00:17-00:31 on the recording:

Brand new number folks called “Boogie Woogie.” It’s a funny little song. Now when I tell you to ‘hold it,’ I don’t want you to move a thing. And when I tell you to ‘get it,’ I want you to boogie woogie.

Best to all,

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by Jim Faston »

About three years ago I posted looking for a copy of Fred Fisher's The Dance of the Blue Danube:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=178&p=23749

I managed to find a PDF of the piano-vocal arrangement by Arthur Lange online:
Fisher-Lange_The Dance of the Blue Danube.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob C.

Dance of the Blue Danube

Post by Rob C. »

Very nice, Jim! I'd never heard of this until you requested it earlier. I'm so glad you finally found it and doubly glad that you shared it with us! Thanks so much!

Rob
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

This is quite an attractive piece by W Bibby, whoever he or she was.
Bibby Imagination.pdf
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Here are four pieces by Leon Bismark "Bix" Beiderbecke (March 10, 1903 – August 6, 1931).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bix_Beiderbecke
Beiderbecke_In the Dark.pdf
Beiderbecke_In a Mist.pdf
Beiderbecke_Flashes.pdf
Beiderbecke_Candlelights.pdf
See this playlist for Ken Werner’s recording on his CD “The Piano of Bix Beiderbecke, Duke Ellington, George Gershwin, James P. Johnson”:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... UXtOgZ2gKR

and this post for Frank’s scan of the rear of the original LP cover:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=178&p=18722#p18722

Also check out Lincoln Mayorga’s elegant rendition of In a Mist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye4wvT14cuo

from his fine CD “Sophisticated Innocence”:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... PsXeShJpdX

Lastly, requesting a scan of his Davenport Blues if anyone has same. Thanks.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fhimpsl »

Jim,

Thanks for posting these. I always wished Bix had written more for the piano. I've heard that he credited Eastwood Lane as a source of inspiration, but the works certainly pay homage to Debussy. Beiderbecke wanted to be remembered for his piano music, and it's noteworthy that his only recorded piano solo was of "In A Mist." Attached is the requested "Davenport Blues," a beautiful tune (sorry for the copy quality, but at least it's legible).

All Best,

Frank
Beiderbecke, Bix - Davenport Blues.pdf
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Thanks Frank. I've always loved In a Mist. I believe it has been used as an example piece in some music theory classes.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Thank you both for more Bix :D
I am not able to view the files right now as I am on a mobile phone but will pull the In a Mist to compare w my scan I submitted on June 11 page 158 of this board thread
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=178&start=1570

I was coincidentally going to add these by quoting my upload from a couple months ago but given we are on topic here is a supplement transcription scan of the work's first 38 bars as they were played on A Jazz Piano Trilogy (Columbia KG 32355)

as the 2nd attachment describes , the written version is not the same as the recording....(interesting details, read the notes supplement scan ).

I believe this is out of print , but if otherwise not allowed, please let me know or mods should remove.
Bieberdecke%2C%20Leon%20(Bix)%20-transc%20Don%20Wilhite-%20-%20In%20A%20Mist.pdf
In%20a%20Mist%20notes.pdf
lebowl
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano Mason BB

Post by lebowl »

Does anyone have a transcription of J. Lawrence Cooke's version of Bumble Boogie? Thanks.
Melargren

Post by Melargren »

Found this from a local library:

Karl Wehle (1901 - 1933)
Tändsticksparaden (The Match Parade)
Lyrics by Nils-Georg
Published by Nils-Georgs Musikförlag, Stockholm (1930)
Wehle, Karl - The Match Parade.pdf