Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Caprotti
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Polish Composers

Post by Caprotti »

not exactly the right thread, but the attachment
Jonas - Method - Technical exercises (Busoni,Philipp,Godowsky,Friedheim,Sauer,Lhevinne,Ganz,Gabrilowitsch,Backhaus).pdf
can be very interesting

Mod edit: I agree. It's now in a better thread :) FB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Re: Etudes

Post by mballan »

I have a host of rare etudes to share with members [with special thanks to Mr P].......the first, a set by Otterstrom which I think will test the digits of most pianists, personally I highly recommend the 1st of these, a beautiful work.

Unfortuntely can't seem to discover an biographical information on this composer.

Malcolm
Otterstrom Th - 6 Conzert-Etuden.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Thorvald Otterström (1868 - 1942) was Danish. Our Danish members will know more.
http://books.google.fr/books?id=0HvHU-r ... q=&f=false
http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/o/otterstrom.html
Jean-Séb
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

mballan wrote:I have a host of rare etudes to share with members [with special thanks to Mr P].......the first, a set by Otterstrom which I think will test the digits of most pianists, personally I highly recommend the 1st of these, a beautiful work.

Unfortuntely can't seem to discover an biographical information on this composer.

Malcolm
Thanks for these very high-quality etudes, Malcolm. They present interest technical challenges and all sound brilliantly.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

A few more odd etudes to keep those fingers well exercised !

Swan Hennessy (1866-1929) Born USA, but spent most of his life, and died in Paris.
Hennessy S - Etude.pdf
Fernande Beauvois - can't find anything on this composer [???]
Beauvois F - Octave Etude.pdf
W A Francis - again can't find any information on him [likely English or Amercian]??
W.A. Francis - Concert Study.pdf
Malcolm
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

mballan wrote:A few more odd etudes to keep those fingers well exercised !

Swan Hennessy (1866-1929) Born USA, but spent most of his life, and died in Paris.
Hennessy S - Etude.pdf
Fernande Beauvois - can't find anything on this chap [???]
Beauvois F - Octave Etude.pdf
W A Francis - again can't find any information on him [likely English or Amercian]??
W.A. Francis - Concert Study.pdf
Malcolm
Thanks for these interesting etudes, Malc. I must say, that Hennessy piece really seems to need a 3rd hand.
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

mballan wrote: Fernande Beauvois - can't find anything on this chap [???]
Malcolm
She (!) also composed the piano piece l'Intrépide Mazurka, published in Paris.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

And a few more etudes:

Leone Sinigaglia (1868-1944). Italian composer and mountaineer. Biographical details can be obtained via Wikipedia.
Sinigaglia L - Staccato-Etude.pdf
Clemen Schmalstich (1880-1960). German composer and conductor [and an early member of the Nazi party]. Wrote opera, two symphonies, three piano concertos, various orchestral works, film music, piano, and 120 songs.
Schmalstich C - 3 Etudes Op 81.pdf
Herbert Sharpe (19861-1925). English pianist and composer. Noted teacher and performer within London. Later professor at Royal College of Music.
Sharpe H - Undine Etude Op 69.pdf
Malcolm
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

mballan wrote:And a few more etudes:

Leone Sinigaglia (1868-1944). Italian composer and mountaineer. Biographical details can be obtained via Wikipedia.
Sinigaglia L - Staccato-Etude.pdf
Clemen Schmalstich (1880-1960). German composer and conductor [and an early member of the Nazi party]. Wrote opera, two symphonies, three piano concertos, various orchestral works, film music, piano, and 120 songs.
Schmalstich C - 3 Etudes Op 81.pdf
Herbert Sharpe (19861-1925). English pianist and composer. Noted teacher and performer within London. Later professor at Royal College of Music.
Sharpe H - Undine Etude Op 69.pdf
Malcolm
Thanks for these, Malc. The staccato etude is nice, effective work.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Louis Brassin (1840-1884). Belgian pianist and composer. His father was a baritone singer of some renown, whose real name was de Brassine, and an uncle of his was Drouet, the famous flautist. Owing to the fact that in 1847 his father was engaged at the opera in Leipzig, the young Brassin was able to study at the Conservatorium in Leipzig, and became a pupil of Moscheles.

After five years in Leipzig, Brassin undertook several concert tours with his two brothers, and in 1866 was appointed first pianoforte teacher in the Stern Conservatorium in Berlin. After a year's tenure in this post he resumed a more or less wandering life, and ultimately settled in Brussels (1869-1878) as professor in the Conservatoire. In 1878 he accepted a similar post at St. Petersburg, where he died.

A transcription of the Feuerzauber from Die Walküre was long a favourite, and his works include, beside many excellent pianoforte pieces, two German operettas, Der Thronfolger (Brussels, 1865) and Der Missionär.

I think these Etudes will hopefully test your pianistic abilities and keep most of you entertained :D

Malcolm
Brassin L - Op 12 Six Etudes.pdf