Piano Etudes

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Etudes

Post by fleubis »

Thanks Malc for the Brassin Etudes. He has new and interesting figurations with ingenious fingering, gratefully indicated. He seems to have had an interesting career. I hope more of his music surfaces.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

A set of interesting [and demanding]etudes by Charles Mayer (1799-1862). German pianist and composer......although spent the majority of his life in Russia [St Petersburg and Moscow], he finally settled in Dresden in 1850. Concertized across Europe extensively. Apparently wrote approx 900 piano pieces !

Owing to the size of some of these etudes, I have split into three files to up-load.

Malcolm
Mayer C - Studies Op 119 Nos. 1-4.pdf
Mayer C - Studies Op 119 Nos. 5-8.pdf
Mayer C - Studies Op 119 Nos. 9-12.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Hi Malcolm,

thank you very much for your recent postings!

Hans von Bülow apparently knew the Mayer Etudes well - seems that they were very popular for some decades. In his edition of the Chopin Etudes, he commmented on op. 25/9 as being a bit too similar to the style of Charles Mayer (more than one century later, we can take this as a compliment for the music of C.M.!)

I am trying to find the really interesting Gustav Weber sonata (also the Ludvig Schytte sonata) in a German library, but so far without success (usually Hofmeister scores are not that rare and of the Schytte there are at least 2 editions by different publishers).

I am looking forward to your next postings!

best regards

alfor

P.S. If there is any need for more Charles Mayer, let me know!
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
WCosand
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by WCosand »

Does anyone already have a scan of the Czerny op 500 or know where it might be available?
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Malcolm, these Mayer etudes are just wonderful. This is a great find. Etude #8 is just luscious! Alfor, I hope you can find some more Mayer, seems he has a lot to say.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

fleubis wrote:Malcolm, these Mayer etudes are just wonderful. This is a great find. Etude #8 is just luscious! Alfor, I hope you can find some more Mayer, seems he has a lot to say.
Thanks fleubis

I am pleased you are enjoying them. I obtained these etudes from an old friend, Walter Ryan, who was one of the most generous and kind hearted collectors I have ever met in my life, as well as an excellent pianist. He had the most amazing collection [we are talking thousands of extremely rare scores], and was always happy to share openly with anyone including myself and another fellow of this site and good friend, who's generosity also knows no bounds [the elusive Mr P]. Sadly Walter died late last year and I believe his collection went to his son who was also a muscian....I shall truly miss him. The comment by each etude was by Walter. A rare, generous and truly gifted soul.

Malcolm
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

mballan wrote:
fleubis wrote:Malcolm, these Mayer etudes are just wonderful. This is a great find. Etude #8 is just luscious! Alfor, I hope you can find some more Mayer, seems he has a lot to say.
Thanks fleubis

I am pleased you are enjoying them. I obtained these etudes from an old friend, Walter Ryan, who was one of the most generous and kind hearted collectors I have ever met in my life, as well as an excellent pianist. He had the most amazing collection [we are talking thousands of extremely rare scores], and was always happy to share openly with anyone including myself and another fellow of this site and good friend, who's generosity also knows no bounds [the elusive Mr P]. Sadly Walter died late last year and I believe his collection went to his son who was also a muscian....I shall truly miss him. The comment by each etude was by Walter. A rare, generous and truly gifted soul.

Malcolm
Dear Malcolm, it is always sad to loose a friend and especially a musical friend. I am grateful to be one of the ultimate recipients of his generosity through his sharing.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Alfred recently posted the Longro sonatas which proved to be quite popular, so thought everyone would like to see three sets of his etudes [Op 35, 42 & 48]. Owing to size, I've split Op 35 into two parts [thank you again Mr P].

Malcolm

Op 35 Twelve Studies in Thirds
Longo A - Op 35 Studies 1-6 in Thirds.pdf
Longo A - Op 35 Studies 7-12 in Thirds.pdf
Op 42 Six Studies in Sixths
Longo A - Op 42 Studies in Sixths.pdf
Op 48 Six Octave Studies
Longo A - Op 48 Six Octave Studies.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Malc,

Thanks for posting these wonderful studies in double notes by Longo. What with these plus the Mayer etudes (my favorites still) and the left hand material you recently posted our fingers are getting quite a workout!!! :mrgreen:

All best,

Frank
Alkan81

Post by Alkan81 »

I'm looking for J. Wieniawski - 24 Etudes op.44

http://opteron1.kbr.be/cgi-bin/opac.cgi ... =50_707430