French Piano Music

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

Re: French Piano Music

Post by fredbucket »

Alkan’s notation style is quite idiosyncratic. This is why attempts to produce new editions of his scores do not in any way improve on the originals.

Regards
Fred
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by bingo »

WalterNiemann wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:30 am
Alkan, Ch-V - Fantasticheria 1868.pdf
A little clean-up and monochromification to bring the filesize down.
ALKAN Fantasticheria 1868 [bw].pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

fredbucket wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:19 am Alkan’s notation style is quite idiosyncratic. This is why attempts to produce new editions of his scores do not in any way improve on the originals.

Regards
Fred
I've re-engraved this piece, as I've found having a digitally playable version is handy for learning, as you can vary speed or focus on certain sections easily. It's also interesting to hear a score that is dynamically and metronomically faithful to the printed score as distinct from a performer's interpretation.
I have two questions about this Alkan score
1. In some parts of the score, especially the first page, a dot is used in place of a rest in the left hand. This is not done uniformly throughout, so I wondered if there were a special significance to this notation, perhaps as a overly-scrupulous reminder to have hand in position.
2. A small coda-like symbol is used occasionally in the lower stave e.g. on the second line of page 4, and later on pp9,10, 13. Is it a pedal rosette? It's not always clearly matched with a Ped.
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Dear bingo, thanks as ever for your hard work improving scores and digitalising many more.
The answer to your questions are very simple.
The dot is in fact exactly that except here it is placed not next to the note but in the place where it replaces the tied note crossing the bar line, each one of the dots is what it would be if placed next to the note adding half its length to the note. So what you should do if you were digitalising the score would be to tie the note before the barline to the Note/dot after the barline, replacing the dot with the note that should sound there. I have come across this a lot in music of this time where the dot fills the space the note would occupy. It can be very off-putting when you come across it for the first time
Your second question you have answered yourself, yes it is a sign to lift the pedal off.
best wishes
Brian
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

A French idiosyncrasy, perhaps?

Raymond Llewenthal had an interesting comment along these lines in his Alkan edition.

Regards
Fred
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:16 am Dear bingo, thanks as ever for your hard work improving scores and digitalising many more.
The answer to your questions are very simple.
The dot is in fact exactly that except here it is placed not next to the note but in the place where it replaces the tied note crossing the bar line, each one of the dots is what it would be if placed next to the note adding half its length to the note. So what you should do if you were digitalising the score would be to tie the note before the barline to the Note/dot after the barline, replacing the dot with the note that should sound there. I have come across this a lot in music of this time where the dot fills the space the note would occupy. It can be very off-putting when you come across it for the first time
Your second question you have answered yourself, yes it is a sign to lift the pedal off.
best wishes
Brian
Merci buckets. The split-measure across pp9-10 should have been my clue to the dot meaning.

I've updated my score accordingly and posted below with a MIDI. I've followed the layout of the original score pretty closely except for aforesaid split-measure which I've reunited. The original volti subito (v.s.) markings are moot as I have saved three page turns.

EDIT: Updated with correction to name, and some display issues with measures. See post below.
ALKAN Fantasticheria 1868 (ms).mid
Let me know if anything is unclear, particularly in the 3-4 voice Cantabile section, which is a bit of a beast to lay out. The marcato and staccatissimo markings, sometimes separate, sometimes combined can be easily missed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bingo on Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
WalterNiemann
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by WalterNiemann »

Thank you very much, bingo, for your clean score! I have, however, found a small typo: Valentin instead of Valenton. Everything else looks very good!

Best regards

Robin
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

WalterNiemann wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:58 am Thank you very much, bingo, for your clean score! I have, however, found a small typo: Valentin instead of Valenton. Everything else looks very good!

Best regards

Robin
Thanks Robin. Typo noted.

I've also spotted some PDF output issues with measures 119-123 where the top note of some overlapping voices is not getting shown - about 9 notes affected. It doesn't affect play but it does look odd.
Alkan missing notes.png
-
Corrected using Windows PDF printing rather than Musescore's internal engine.
ALKAN Fantasticheria 1868 (ms)-v2.pdf
Musique
Participant
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: No

Post by Musique »

Does anyone has score o fMichel Sogny Etude no 12 Série VI Méthode Sogny

Thanks!
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

Musique wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:28 pm Does anyone has score o fMichel Sogny Etude no 12 Série VI Méthode Sogny

Thanks!
Sogny is a living composer: have you checked with his publisher?

https://www.artchipel.net/produit/prole ... ies-v-vii/