Post by mark08 »

My apologies.The piece by Dag Wiren I was referring to is
the Serenade for strings op. 11
Ferruccio
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Scandinavian Composers

Post by Ferruccio »

May I humbly request the piano suite by Flemming Weis ? Anyone ?
Best regards, Ferruccio
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by mballan »

The Danish composer, August Winding (1835-1899), was the son of a clergyman who had a passion for collecting and arranging Danish folk songs. August initially studied with his father, before studying piano with Anton Ree who had known Chopin; composition lessons with Reinecke and theory with Gade.

Concertized extensively in Denmark and across Europe. His speciality being the concerti of Mozart and Beethoven. He was also a noted performer in chamber ensembles as well as performing as a recitalist. From 1867 he taught at the conservatoire in Copenhagen.

He composed a wide variety of music including a symphony, Concerto for Piano & Orchestra in A minor, Op.16 (1869) and the Concert allegro for Piano & Orchestra in C minor, Op.29, which I post a few months back; chamber works; songs and many piano pieces. Both the concerto and concert allegro have been recorded by Danacord.

I am posting several works [with grateful thanks to Mr P]:

Op 18 Ten Pieces
Winding A - Op 18 Ten Pieces.pdf
Op 24 Five Etudes
Winding A - Op 24 Five Etudes.pdf
Op 31 Four Etudes
Winding A - Op 31 Four Etudes.pdf
Op 48 Eleven Pieces in the form of Etudes [interestingly dedicated to Max Pauer who I mentioned a few days ago]
Winding A - Op 48 Eleven Pieces in the form of Etudes.pdf
Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kh0815

Post by kh0815 »

Rarities from Halfdan Cleve (1879-1951) and (thanks to them!) Sibley:

Konzert für Pianoforte mit Begleitung des Orchesters. A dur. Op. 3. Für zwei Pianoforte.
URL: https://urresearch.rochester.edu/instit ... onNumber=1

Konzert für Pianoforte mit Begleitung des Orchesters. B moll. Op. 6. Für zwei Pianoforte.
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

kh0815 wrote:Rarities from Halfdan Cleve (1879-1951) and (thanks to them!) Sibley:

Konzert für Pianoforte mit Begleitung des Orchesters. A dur. Op. 3. Für zwei Pianoforte.

Konzert für Pianoforte mit Begleitung des Orchesters. B moll. Op. 6. Für zwei Pianoforte.
This is indeed most welcome.

I wrote to Brietkopf some time ago requesting for their permission to obtain copies of these concertos from a library and they declined on the basis that they had no record of having published them.

This is a common occurance and roughly translates to "we are only interested in selling you the 9 millionth issue of moonlight sonata and cannot be bothered to get off our arses and have a look".

Well done to Sibley.

Thal
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

thalbergmad wrote:...they had no record of having published them. This is a common occurance...
Oh dear. What a way to run a business! It shows that some publishers are run by people that are neither musicians nor have any interest in music. And further, such publishers deserve to go out of business.

Do we not have a thread devoted to blackballing publishers, for similar tales? If anyone wants to start one in the Misc Matters Musical area I am sure it would gather a lot of interesting ammunition.

Fortunately there are a few publishers around, including several members of this forum, who take their business and customers rather more seriously.
toyboy

Post by toyboy »

thalbergmad wrote:This is indeed most welcome.

I wrote to Brietkopf some time ago requesting for their permission to obtain copies of these concertos from a library and they declined on the basis that they had no record of having published them.

This is a common occurance and roughly translates to "we are only interested in selling you the 9 millionth issue of moonlight sonata and cannot be bothered to get off our arses and have a look".

Well done to Sibley.

Thal

Your words belie some cynicism. Did it ever occur to you that maybe they dont have records past a certain date? that perhaps is not quite the library that you expect them to be? Brietkopf is hardly the sort of mass marketer you wish to portray them as. Just a quick look at even their contemporary catalogue shows them committed to publishing work that is hardly going to be seeling 9 million copies... maybe not even 9 thousand.

Not trying to start another flame, but when I see this sort of cynical portrayal I have to speak in contradiction. I remain glad there are publishers out there even like the "big evil" Breitkopf.
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

toyboy wrote:
thalbergmad wrote:This is indeed most welcome.

Well done to Sibley.

Thal

Your words belie some cynicism. Did it ever occur to you that maybe they dont have records past a certain date? that perhaps is not quite the library that you expect them to be? Brietkopf is hardly the sort of mass marketer you wish to portray them as. Just a quick look at even their contemporary catalogue shows them committed to publishing work that is hardly going to be seeling 9 million copies... maybe not even 9 thousand.

Not trying to start another flame, but when I see this sort of cynical portrayal I have to speak in contradiction. I remain glad there are publishers out there even like the "big evil" Breitkopf.
For someone not trying to start a flame toyboy you're not doing a very good job, I can accept that the language of Thal might be described as OTT but to defend a company with more than 200 years of history that cannot find out information about one of their composers who died in 1951 is surely a very good case of poor administration and record keeping.
We all are very glad that Breitkopf are active as a publisher as we are glad that anyone chose to enter this field of business over the last 200 years otherwise there wouldn't be much point in having a site like this.
You may be interested to know that in 1830-1840 publishers were not interested in bringing out new editions of Mozart sonatas because there was no market for them, they couldn't even cover the printing costs, yet the secondhand shops are full of them now. Publishers do focus on big sellers to remain in business and I have no problem with that, but an inefficiently run business is no good for them and no good for us either.
regards
Brian
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by mballan »

Don't think Christian Sinding(1856-1941) needs much introduction - here are his Op 44 Fifteen Caprices.

Malcolm & Mr P
Sinding C - Fifteen Caprices Op 44.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
isokani
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Nordic composers

Post by isokani »

I couldn't find a thread for this area. I ashamedly open it with a request: Sibelius op.114 Five Sketches, since I have lost my copy of these excellent pieces, and I am playing them next week. Many thanks to anyone who can help.