Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Toby,

I'm pretty sure I have "Delirium Tremens" and "Hysterics" which are both rags...but how easily I can find them is another matter! I will start searching. The other titles are completely unknown to me, though. These were probably novelettes meant for silent film accompaniment. Klickmann was a very good composer, so they are worth searching for. I'll do my best...

As Ever,

Frank
jellyroll

Post by jellyroll »

Hello Toby,
Here are Hysterics & Delierium Tremens. I don't have the others on your list.
Klickman, Henry-Delirium Tremens Rag.pdf
Klickman, Henry-Hysterics Rag.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Thanks Jelly Roll.
Thanks Frank,

When (if) I find those other titles - I'll post them up. I'm sure I have them somewhere (escept for Mindanao & Mud Pies).

Regards,
tobyjj
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

An extra thought -
It's possible that of those other titles Klickmann was a collaborating composer or perhaps only the arranger.
Because of the way I used to name my files, Klickmann may not appear in the file name, which (too late) I realise makes it hard to search for the files on disk!

Regards,
tobyjj
GJF323

Post by GJF323 »

Here's the piece that I was working on when the scanner had it's difficulties (had one page to go when the scanner went). An international offering, a French folio of "transcriptions swing" of 12 songs by German Peter Kreuder. The arranger is not credited; I suspect that the majority are by Kreuder himself with a few being done by Friedrich Schröder. I don't have any scientific basis for thinking that - I figure that since Schröder doesn't share composition credit for the pieces where his name appears, it must be as an arranger. Which leaves the rest with only a credit for Kreuder. The arrangements are consistent with Kreuder's style for his combos.
12 Succès de Peter Kreuder (Transcriptions Swing pour Piano Solo).pdf
EDIT - OK, I checked again and Schröder DOES share composition credit on at least one song. So I guess we don't know who the arranger is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Thanks for those transcriptions GJF...

regards,
tobyjj
sgambatiesque

Post by sgambatiesque »

I've just had the Duke Ellington's Piano Concerto ''New World a' coming'' (1945) brought to my attention. A recording here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xec9j4oRLRU

This article on jazz concertos http://artsfuse.org/52574/arts-fuse-mus ... to-side-a/ says there's a solo-piano reduction:
This is a through-composed work, though some very singable themes emerge as motifs. There are no soloists other than Ellington himself, and his improvisational contributions are very limited. When you compare the 1945 performance with the solo piano reduction he created 20 years later to include in his First Sacred Concert, nearly every note of the original piano part is still there.
eeks1982
Participant
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by eeks1982 »

yes, there is a piano reduction. I've heard it on an album titled "the piano of Bix Beiderbecke, Duke Ellington, George Gershwin, James P. Johnson", played by Ken Werner. Sorry but I can't remember the editor.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

According to the LP liner notes (attached), Ken Werner is the editor/transcriber of the Ellington "New World a' Coming". He apparently used Ellington's orchestration and recording as the basis for the 2-H piano transcription. As far as I know Werner's transcription has never been published, except of course in the LP recording.
Werner, Ken - Piano Music Of Beiderbecke, Ellington, et. al..pdf
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

The TTT appears to have dried up - I should have 3 more - perhaps later.

For now - in the same vein - "Zum Tee"
Zum 5 Uhr Tee - Band 2.pdf
Regards,
tobyjj