Polish Composers

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
ilu
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Polish Composers

Post by ilu »

fhimpsl wrote:Moritz Moszkowski (1854-1925)

Hello All - Today I ran across a listing of Moszkowski's works which I had compiled during research at the Library Of Congress some 20 years ago. It's an old typewriter and lots of handwritten notes, but I probably nabbed about 95+% of his output and wanted to share the listing with other PP members who might be interested in forming a collection of his scores. Moszkowski is one composer who is so enjoyable to play; so richly melodic, and sadly always one who comes upon neglect both during his life and thereafter. I maintain that his Concerto is one of the most beautiful works of the Romantic era.

All best,

Frank
Moszkowski - Works Listing.pdf
:D
Frank:

Thank you for Moszkowski's list of works.

The opus 3 is the piano quintet (1875).

ILU.
Quo melius Illac
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Ilu, Many thanks for that information...Op. 3 was a complete mystery to me! I had heard rumors that it might have been a first piano concerto, but that can be put to rest now.

All best,

Frank :D
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

You are very welcome!

ILU.
Quo melius Illac
liveforpiano
Pianophiliac

Post by liveforpiano »

Dear Frank, I do not have the Thomas A. Johnson music I am afraid, BUT:
a few years ago I was following up a lead on Thomas A Johnson and his compositions. I got in touch with a a man that had copies of his scores, though just how many he had I cannot say. I suspect this is the Thomas A Johnson you need to know about, and here is the site address where you can follow up on this query.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/taj.html

Just why that has not highlighted I do not know. This should give you a page which is about TAJ and the contact is on that page. I found him very helpful, and got four discs of TAJ playing his own piano works and copies of a few pieces of his music.

I hope you find this helpful. If you have any trouble with it, let me know and I will contact him on your behalf.
Peter.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear Peter, That is a fantastic lead, which I will follow up on immediately! You are the first person I have come into contact with who has even heard of this solo piano transcription. I will let you know what I find out and if the score is obtainable, of course I will post it on PP for all the members. Immense thanks for your thoughtfulness!

Best Regards,

Frank :D
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Dear Friends:

As far as I know, some Thomas Johnson works and transcriptions are published by Peters.

ILU.
Quo melius Illac
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hello All , I was able to find some scores by Thomas A. Johnson on the Edition Peters sites as well as sheet music plus, but these all seem to be teaching oriented materials. However, I did make contact with Mr. Nigel Deacon, who heads the website devoted to TAJ which Peter (livefor piano) referred me to, and am awaiting a reply. I'll certainly get the Moszkowski Concerto solo edition if it is to be had (the website doesn't mention it), and will keep you all informed of my progress.

All Best,

Frank
Igod82

Post by Igod82 »

Nickels at the library of congress. The machine only accepts cards now. And for about 6 nickels you get a page.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hello Friends, I'm afraid the search for a piano solo arrangement of Moszkowski's Op. 59 Concerto has come up dry. Mr. Nigel Deacon, who handles the Thomas Arnold Johnson scores, was extremely helpful in checking through his entire collection and providing me with further links to the British Library (which has even more of TAJ's works and arrangements). His search (and my subsequent searching of the British Library) did turn up TAJ arrangements of a number of Moszkowski works, but no Concerto. As my MM works listing was drawn up almost 20 years ago, I can't remember the information source (although it was probably an ad on the back of another, probably unrelated score).

On the bright side of things :D I would very much encourage anyone who might be interested in the piano works and arrangements of Thomas Johnson to contact Mr. Deacon via the link which Peter (Liveforpiano) so kindly provided several postings ago. I certainly am going to explore his music via the CDs and scores which are offered there. Another piano composer to research is always quite welcome! :mrgreen:

All Best,

Frank
liveforpiano
Pianophiliac

Post by liveforpiano »

Hello Frank,

I was just checking my catalogue of Moszkowski's piano music against the list you provided.

If you have not found out about Opus 78 yet, it is of 3 Studies for Trinity college. I have the music of these.

I have also got three pieces Opus 86 ( 1. Feuilet d'Album. 2. Gavotte 3. Scherzo-Etude) These are all listed as Opus 86. I do not have any Opus 85.

As you are so interested in Moszkowski, I could scan my lists for you to check through if you like. I warn you though, that there is no order about them. I put them in my catalogue as I got them from Walter Ryan over some time.

Peter. (liveforpiano)