Music from the British Isles

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Op. XXXIX

Re: Music from the British Isles

Post by Op. XXXIX »

Ferruccio wrote:
soh choon wee wrote:THANKS greatly for the Hamilton Harty's piano concerto.
Seconded !!!
Many thanks Malcolm! A wonderful Easter treat. The Chandos recording is indeed very fine; haven't heard the Naxos.

I don't suppose you have a copy of With the Wild Geese? ;)
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Post by mballan »

Op. XXXIX wrote:
Ferruccio wrote:
soh choon wee wrote:THANKS greatly for the Hamilton Harty's piano concerto.
Seconded !!!
Many thanks Malcolm! A wonderful Easter treat. The Chandos recording is indeed very fine; haven't heard the Naxos.

I don't suppose you have a copy of With the Wild Geese? ;)
Sorry, no I don't have a copy of "With the Wild Geese", which is a lovely work [as is much of Harty's music].....a part from my obsession with Russian material and piano concertos I do not tend to collect orchestral scores any more.

Malc
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

Too wet to go cycling today, so I thought i would whizz this little piece through the scanner. Found in a dusty pile and it is arguable i should have left it there.

For anyone who does not know what a sword dance is, the following should assist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsO0bvbg ... re=related

This is of course English sword dancing which is completely different to Scottish sword dancing, where you have to drink two bottles of whisky and wear a skirt, Saudi Arabian sword dancing, where you try to cut the hands off the person opposite and Japanese sword dancing, where you try to kill yourself before the music stops.

I am amazed it has yet to be banned in jolly old England by the Health & Safety Executive and beloved Labour Party, because it is dangerous and not representative of a multi cultural society.

I am now going to consume my politically correct "The first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox" egg.

Luv

Thal
Foster - A Sword Dance Suite.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ferruccio
Pianophiliac

Post by Ferruccio »

thalbergmad wrote:Too wet to go cycling today, so I thought i would whizz this little piece through the scanner. Found in a dusty pile and it is arguable i should have left it there.

For anyone who does not know what a sword dance is, the following should assist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsO0bvbg ... re=related

This is of course English sword dancing which is completely different to Scottish sword dancing, where you have to drink two bottles of whisky and wear a skirt, Saudi Arabian sword dancing, where you try to cut the hands off the person opposite and Japanese sword dancing, where you try to kill yourself before the music stops.

I am amazed it has yet to be banned in jolly old England by the Health & Safety Executive and beloved Labour Party, because it is dangerous and not representative of a multi cultural society.

I am now going to consume my politically correct "The first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox" egg.

Luv

Thal

Thanks, Thal ! Very British, isn't it ? :mrgreen:
Best regards, Ferruccio
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

Very British indeed.

We are also proud of the fish dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9SSOWORzw4

Thal
Ferruccio
Pianophiliac

Post by Ferruccio »

thalbergmad wrote:Very British indeed.

We are also proud of the fish dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9SSOWORzw4

Thal

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Best regards, Ferruccio
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Thanks, Malc, for the Harty concerto--a very find piece indeed. The Chandos performance is out-of-print, but is still available as part of a box set from Arkive Music. Many, many years ago I was first exposed to Harty's transcription of the Water Music Suite and I nearly took up the kettle drums for some reason, fortunately, sanity--and the piano--prevailed. For some reason this came to mind after watching that sword dance video.
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

My favourite 2H transcription of Handel's Water Music is the one by Josiah Pittman.
Handel The Water Music (2H Pittman).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Timtin on Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

A couple of works by lesser know British composers [with thanks Mr P]:

Quatre Rhapsoies Espagnole by Florian Pacal [Pascal was a pseudonym for Joseph Williams, Jr. (1847-1923), a music publisher and composer]
Pascal F - Quatre Rhapsodies Espagnoles.pdf
Max Pauer - Ernst Pauer's son, was born in London on October 31,1866, and received his early piano training from his father. Later Ernst sent the young Max to Vincenz Lachner in Carlsruhe, where he studied composition. Max stayed there from 1881 until 1885, and gave his first public performances during this time...traveling through Holland, Germany and England.

In 1887 he was made professor of the piano at the Cologne Conservatory, and in 1897 moved to the Stuttgart Conservatory where he became director in 1908, succeeding De Lange. Max Pauer enjoyed both a career on the concert stage and the life of a distinguished piano teacher. He was invited to go to the conservatories of Prague and Moscow to teach, but he turned down those offers. In 1893 Max Pauer was appointed Court Pianist at Darmstadt and in 1898 was made a professor. Pauer edited a number of works including a new edition of Lebert and Stark's Piano Method in 1904, and made arrangements of Haydn and Mozart Symphonies. He died in 1945.

I've posted Max Pauer's quite substantial Waltz Op 4.
Pauer M - Walzer Opus 4.pdf
Malcolm
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Dear Malc,

thank you very much for your recent postings. As I usually prefer music composed grossly around 1900 more than that composed say 5 decades earlier, let me say a special thank you for the fine Shaposhnikov sonatina (how comes his very German first name "Adrian"??), one of the hard to find early soviet works, with a lot of french influence.

Max Pauer, son of Ernst, who spent his childhood in England and received piano lessons from his father together with Eugen d'Albert, may be appreciated today for his many fine and still recommendable editions of the classics (Schubert, Schumann, Beethoven, Liszt, etc.), often with a very good fingering. He was the teacher of many fine pianists (among them the great Eileen Joyce - although she soon left him for Robert Teichmüller). In his late years he published a very strange book with personal self-confessions resp. philosophical thoughts, full of guilt and self-accusation, although he does not reveal the reasons.

all best wishes

alfor
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor