China Japan and the Far East

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,
Music Scores: Yes

Re: China Japan and the Far East

Post by tobyjj »

I see the Spring Trip Suite and other works of Ting Te shan has already been uploaded - I have the same, but my edition has english titles as well if anyone is interested.
Here's the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?45z0uq6qi7swk

I'll also post my link to a collection of Chinese piano pieces - The album is titled "A collection of Chinese Tunes for Piano" - I had to split it into four parts - the pieces vary in difficulty from simple to fiendish.
Here's the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?45z0uq6qi7swk

Thanks to the other posters for the other pieces - some of which I have been looking for a long while without success.

Parag, you ask about erhu method, books - I have some, but I need to dig them out - it may be better to contact me privately, as I'm not sure everyone is interested in that. Also, you need to know that the notation is sol-fa with numbers not conventional western staves.

Regards,
tobyjj
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

As anticipated, not all the music will come from China & Japan !
Here is something (from ?) derived from Indonesia, (Bali). "Pemoengkah" - Overture to the shadow-puppet play transcribed for 2 pianos by Colin McPhee.
My Link is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?td8rbtampx4iksw

Regards,
tobyjj
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

tobyjj wrote:...Here is something (from ?) derived from Indonesia, (Bali). "Pemoengkah" - Overture to the shadow-puppet play transcribed for 2 pianos by Colin McPhee...
Hugely appreciated. Colin McPhee was something of a minor master, his finest piece being a symphony in all but name based on Balinese influenced motifs: Tabuh Tabuhan. I have a scan of his book 'A House in Bali' if anyone wants a copy.
parag
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by parag »

Many thanks for these Toby! Regarding the Erhu, I'll send you a PM...

Parag
Hands

Post by Hands »

More transcriptions of Guangdong Folk Songs by Chen Pei-Xun.

Chen Pei-Xun - Longing For Love (Guangdong Folksong)
Chen Pei-Xun - Longing For Love (Guangdong Folksong).pdf
Chen Pei-Xun_Thunder in Dry Season (Guangdong Folksong)
Chen Pei-Xun_Thunder in Dry Season (Guangdong Folksong).pdf
Chen Pei-Xun_Variations on a Guangdong Folksong 'The Butterfly Couple')
Chen Pei-Xun_Variations on a Guangdong Folksong 'The Butterfly Couple'.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hands

Post by Hands »

Anyone can tell me who wrote these pieces played by Lang Lang, and does anyone have the scores to these pieces?

Thanks in advance.

1. Spring Dance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H06djAIaMhM

2. Spring Wind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_rsG4TgWDQ
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hands,

The first of your You Tube links is this one:

Not sure about the second - what are the Chinese characters? It seems to be a "favorite" in Taiwan.

Regards,
tobyjj
Dance of Spring.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hands

Post by Hands »

Thank you very much Tobyjj for the Dance of Spring. The composer is Sun Yi-Qiang

The Chinese characters for the 2nd piece is 望春风, probably translated as Hoping for the Spring Wind

Best Regards
Hands

Post by Hands »

Got a few more pieces by Ding Shan-De. Added his bio.

SHANDE DING
(1911 - 1995)
The Chinese composer Ding Shande was born in 1911 in Kunshan, Jiangsu. In his childhood he took an interest in music and studied traditional Chinese instruments, including the pipa. In 1928 he entered the preparatory course of the Shanghai School of Music, where he studied the pipa under Zhu Ying. He later transferred to the piano department and attended the classes of the famous Russian teacher Borodin Zakharov. He have his graduation piano recital in 1935 and was appointed piano professor at Tianjin Women's Normal College. After the outbreak of the War of Resistance against Japan, he returned to the Shanghai School of Music to teach the piano.
He also set up the Shanghai Music Centre, of which he was director. In the 1940s he turned his attention to composition and in 1947 travelled to France, where he entered the Paris Conservatoire Nationale Superieur de Musique, studying conterpoint, fugue and other compositional techniques. At the same time he pursued advanced courses under Honegger and Nadia Boulanger. After graduation in 1949 he returned to shanghai to work at the School of Music, now the Shanghai Conservatory. There he has held the successive positions of Dean of the Composition Department and Vice-President of the Conservatory. He has served as a jury member of various international piano competitions and attended many international academic conferences on music. In the mid-1980s he resigned his administrative position, but remains Vice-Chairman of the China Musicians' Association and Honorary Chairman of the Shanghai
Musicians' Association. His important compositions include Long March, New China Symphonic Suite, Spring Symphonic Poem, Symphonic Overture, Piano Concerto in B flat major, String Quartet in E minor, Piano Trio in C major, the cantata Ode to the Huangpu River, a large number of piano pieces, including Variations on Themes of Chinese Folk-songs, a children's piano suite Happy Festival, Xinjiang Dances Nos. 1 and 2, and art-songs such as Blue Mist, My Husband gives Me a Sunflower, Ode to Orange. He has also written theoretical works, including Exploration of Compositional Technique

First, a Rondo.
Ding Shan-De_Rondo.pdf
Hands

Post by Hands »

A Sonatina by Ding Shan-De.
Ding Shan-De_Sonatina.pdf