Piano Music of North America (Canada & the USA)

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Duirton

Re: Piano Music of North America (Canada and the USA)

Post by Duirton »

I'm trying to recover the piano score of D. Rudhyar, but I have some difficulties...

For piano (still published to the Theodore Presser) is available only:
-Granites
-3 Paeans
-Prophetic Rite

For other piano scores like the "Tetragrams" or the "Pentagrams", where I can find?
Anybody know where is possible take these and in general whatever Rudhyar piano work?

THANKS.
klavierelch
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Recorder
Music Scores: Yes

Post by klavierelch »

Duirton wrote:I'm trying to recover the piano score of D. Rudhyar, but I have some difficulties...

For piano (still published to the Theodore Presser) is available only:
-Granites
-3 Paeans
-Prophetic Rite

For other piano scores like the "Tetragrams" or the "Pentagrams", where I can find?
Anybody know where is possible take these and in general whatever Rudhyar piano work?

THANKS.
It is indeed difficult to find some Rudhyar pieces. Library searches mostly reveal only his astrological writings.
But a look at the catalogues shows that there are at least the first series of the Tentagrams and some of the Pentagrams in the Library of Congress, Washington D.C.
Ars opus est hominis, non opus artis homo.

John Owen, Epigrammata (1615)
Allan

Post by Allan »

The University of Michigan Music Library has the First, Second, Third, and Fourth Pentagram. (Are there any others? I'm not familiar with Rudhyar's catalog.) I could try and grab them the next time I visit, which may not be until sometime after the New Year, so if someone else can provide copies sooner, please do.

A little further down the road, at Eastern Michigan University's library, they have the Tetragram's one through nine (is that all of them?), but I don't have borrowing privileges there. Perhaps when some slots in my inter-library loan queue open up, I can try requesting them. Again, it would probably be sometime after the New Year.
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

Allan wrote:The University of Michigan Music Library has the First, Second, Third, and Fourth Pentagram. (Are there any others? I'm not familiar with Rudhyar's catalog.) I could try and grab them the next time I visit, which may not be until sometime after the New Year, so if someone else can provide copies sooner, please do.

A little further down the road, at Eastern Michigan University's library, they have the Tetragram's one through nine (is that all of them?), but I don't have borrowing privileges there. Perhaps when some slots in my inter-library loan queue open up, I can try requesting them. Again, it would probably be sometime after the New Year.
This would be much appreciated. Having been listening to repertoire like this for a few decades Rudhyar is still not much more than just a name to me - I've only heard a handful of pieces over the years and seen even less.
Duirton

Post by Duirton »

Many thanks at all for the Rudhyar informations.

I discovered that the Four Pentagrams are published to the Columbia University Music Press;
is possible finding here: www.subitomusic.com

About the Tetragrams (and other piano works [http://www.khaldea.com/rudhyar/listofworks.shtml]), I found nothing......
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

A few months back, an American book dealer (who's name escapes me) was selling some copy manuscripts by Rudhyar. I only bought one and I never asked him how he came by it.

Hopefully, I will remember the chaps name as he may be able to assist.

Thal
Hexameron

Post by Hexameron »

I've been looking for old editions of Rudhyar's music and rarely discover them. My local academic library has a 1935 edition of Granites. If you're interested in that and no one objects, I can post a scan of it here.

As I understand, much of Rudhyar's music wasn't published until the later 20th century. And he also stopped composing between the 1930s-1970s. His early works, as you noted, are published by Theodore Presser, and also New Music Society of California (at least, they offer a 1927 edition of the Paeans). You mentioned Columbia University Music Press - they also published the tetragrams.

It looks like American Composers Alliance is the most recent and dominant publisher of Rudhyar's music. Since their website offers links to inquire about renting/purchasing Rudhyar's scores, I would recommend going through them.
Hexameron

Post by Hexameron »

rob wrote:Having been listening to repertoire like this for a few decades Rudhyar is still not much more than just a name to me - I've only heard a handful of pieces over the years and seen even less.
Rudhyar himself is a fascinating character: a renowned writer on astrology, an amateur painter, and a composer associated with the American avant-garde of the 1920s. To me, Rudhyar is a convincing successor of Scriabin and I rate his music very highly. I've rarely been disappointed when listening to anything he's written, even his early piano pieces Lamento (1913) and Cortege funebre (1914),

The Tetragrams and Granites, though, are really powerful specimens with austere mysticism and intense piano sonorities reminiscent of Obukhov, Messiaen, and even foreshadow Scelsi.
Duirton

Post by Duirton »

Hexameron wrote:I've been looking for old editions of Rudhyar's music and rarely discover them. My local academic library has a 1935 edition of Granites. If you're interested in that and no one objects, I can post a scan of it here.

As I understand, much of Rudhyar's music wasn't published until the later 20th century. And he also stopped composing between the 1930s-1970s. His early works, as you noted, are published by Theodore Presser, and also New Music Society of California (at least, they offer a 1927 edition of the Paeans). You mentioned Columbia University Music Press - they also published the tetragrams.

It looks like American Composers Alliance is the most recent and dominant publisher of Rudhyar's music. Since their website offers links to inquire about renting/purchasing Rudhyar's scores, I would recommend going through them.
Many thanks Hexameron, I try to ask at the American Composers Alliance....
pianojay
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by pianojay »