Alfor's Rarities

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Alfor's Rarities

Post by fleubis »

Liking the Schattmann Klavierstücke, Alfor: A pretty nice piece.

Also thanks for posting the Lewenthal Preface. If it were not for Lewenthal I fear Alkan would have remained an obscure composer for many more years. His initial Alkan recording made real musical history and created a sensation. His thoughts on Alkan are worth preserving.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

fleubis wrote:Also thanks for posting the Lewenthal Preface. If it were not for Lewenthal I fear Alkan would have remained an obscure composer for many more years. His initial Alkan recording made real musical history and created a sensation. His thoughts on Alkan are worth preserving.
Agreed. His initiial recording was the first I heard. I also a while ago posted a link to his 1963 broadcast - here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=252&p=5465&sid=a3e ... e1ca#p5465

Regards
Fred
Babaco

Post by Babaco »

Thanks for all the scores you post, Alfor, and the fugues most recently. The Lewenthal preface is very interesting reading as well; I know a few people who'd like to see it, and it'll pass the airplane trip to my cousin's wedding well.

Best,
Curtis
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

fleubis wrote: If it were not for Lewenthal I fear Alkan would have remained an obscure composer for many more years. His initial Alkan recording made real musical history and created a sensation. His thoughts on Alkan are worth preserving.
I agree about the historical significance of his recordings and commentaries, but I would like to think that Ronald Smith's efforts in promoting Alkan's music would have rescued the composer from complete obscurity if Lewenthal hadn't been around :)
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

4candles wrote:
fleubis wrote: If it were not for Lewenthal I fear Alkan would have remained an obscure composer for many more years. His initial Alkan recording made real musical history and created a sensation. His thoughts on Alkan are worth preserving.
I agree about the historical significance of his recordings and commentaries, but I would like to think that Ronald Smith's efforts in promoting Alkan's music would have rescued the composer from complete obscurity if Lewenthal hadn't been around :)
It was through Ronald Smith that I first heard Alkan's music. I guess that's true for most Brits and Lewenthal would be the one for most Americans.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

The unknown composer:

Kurt BÖRNER (1877-??; German pianist and composer, probably pupil of Heinrich Barth;
lived and taught in Berlin)
Balladen op. 14 & 15
Börner Balladen op.14, 15.pdf
Variationen für Pianoforte über ein polnisches Lied op. 6
Börner Variationen op.6.pdf
(I very much would appreciate a judgement on this - traditional, Brahms-Schumann influenced - music by Frank!)

Posted as example for the piano style of this lesser known French composer:
Claude ARRIEU
Trois Pieces:
Marche
Etude
Choral
(post-Saint-Saens/post-Debussy or pre-"jeune France" style)
Arrieu 3 Pieces.pdf
P.S.
Heinrich Neal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJv_d490fNU
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alfor on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

fredbucket wrote:His initiial recording was the first I heard. I also a while ago posted a link to his 1963 broadcast - here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=252&p=5465&sid=a3e ... e1ca#p5465

Regards
Fred
Dear Fred,

thank you very much for re-posting this broadcast - I am at this moment listening to it with much pleasure!

best regards

alfor

fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear Alfor,

I must say that the works of Kurt Borner which you posted today are (imho) absolutely superb. Another completely unknown, and wonderfully talented composer for the piano! To my ears his style is highly Brahms-Schumann influenced. My favorite of the 3 works is Op. 15, the Ballade in D minor, which shows very strong Brahms-ian influence. It seems like there is almost no end to the number of post-Romantic piano pieces published in Germany during the late 19th & early 20th centuries. Beautiful melodies..highly pianistic yet still much fun to play!

Thanks once again for unearthing more treasures for us! :D :D :D

Alles Gute,

Frank
parag
Site Admin

Post by parag »

I second Frank's sentiments... the Börner Ballade in d minor is absolutely gorgeous... somehow reminiscent of the Brahms Op.10 No.4 Ballade. Very juicy... any information about Mr. Kurt Börner? All I can see online is that he was born in 1877...

Thanks,
Parag
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

Posted as an example for the piano style of this forgotten
US-American pianist & composer:

Radie BRITAIN
Prelude op. 2
Britain Prelude op.2.pdf
A Western Suite op. 5
(pretty rare, published in Munich; probably composed when she studied in Germany in the 1920s,
late-romantic style)
Britain A Western Suite.pdf
More
Hans von BÜLOW
Lacerta (Lizard) Impromptu pour le piano op. 27
the best Bülow piece I know! Influenced by (early) Chopin and
(in one or two spots) Liszt; makes a very fine study for sensitive legato (legatissimo) touch!
Bülow Lacerta op.27.pdf
Innocence
this "watercolor" reflects better quality sensitive salon-music (the one for the fainting young ladies ;) )
Bülow Innocence.pdf
Königsmarsch op. 28
dedicated to the "Kini" (the famous König Ludwig II. von Bayern)
Bülow Königsmarsch op.28.pdf
P.S. Thank you for your comments, dear Frank & parag!
P.P.S. No further info on Börner found!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.